Scenario; Red Stream 120

i put it up at CMMODS and the repository but i have no idea where it went in the repository, maybe it takes a while to show up.

what i wrote at CMMODS;

Setting: Red vs. Red, play as "BLUE" only.

Size: big or huge

tested in WEGO, Elite. thanks to Birdstrike for his valuable input in the earlier versions, and hcrof for proof reading.

1st Guards Mech Infantry Baon is tasked with killing a warloard and his two brothers, confined in their homevalley. In between a major urban area, Shar-Azad, houseing large nubers of combatants, waiting to destroy as much as possible of 1st Baon.

Plays out in a valley, a mix of heavy urban and open ground fighting with a considerable logistics component. Its not a 3 houers non stop action scenario, you gona wait a bit for arty at times, reorganize the mess, and so on :)

Gameplay notes;

just make sure to read the "no spoiler" section in the briefing at the bottom. The biggest drawback was the 2Hr timelimit. now i set it to 3Hr and it works out great. if you possibly open it in the editor and want to add more time, i tell you at 3Hr+ red gets reinforcements spawning somewhere, i used them to keep red from surrendering prematurely. so i set a 3Hr fixed duration.

rest11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, ok do you try to play RT or do you use WEGO? that will make the biggest difference.

on my fairly powerfull system, wich isnt that good i would cosider it top, its about a 2 year old base with some newer updates in it, i can run the map in WEGO with no "big" probs. in the early stages i rarely drop below 20FPS.

also i run it with "shadows OFF", "terrain quality=balanced" "model quality=balanced" it still looks fine and helps i think.

also try hit ALT J , the objectives wich are many in the map could use some FPS too, at least i "feel" it is that way, so i switch objectives off when i dont need em to be showen.

maybe this helps a little.

I fired it up again and so far so good! I must have had something running in the background or something. It's a little choppy if I'm moving the camera while viewing longways, but really actually MUCH better than last time. :)

I'm about 20 min in and it kicks ass so far. I already love the 3 hr limit you put on there. Thanks for that!

weekend´s over :) any luck so far?

i know this is a big one, also its not everyones insta favourite with RED on RED setting, but i die for some feedback by anyone who played it wich is not me ;)

thanks

Hi Pandur,

i have not finished it so far. Iam not yet in the city... (1:45 left) :D

It is really hard to get your firepower (all that bmps, and tanks) through that bottleneck.

But, what i can say for sure is that i like this scenario very much (The Map is Great) !

I think i will finish it today or tomorrow, so i can give you some more Feedback !

i have not finished it so far.

well my final playtest, wich was going quiet fast as i knew the map, took me 3x 5 to 8 houers sessions. means the map alone gave me 15 to 24 houers of enjoyment in WEGO :P

yes the bottleneck, dont forgett your smoke on the BMP´s. it helps a great deal, even better then BLUE here, you can hurle it over things and towards the south entrance. wind conditions are in youre favour ;)

Ok, finished it.

First of all i have to say that i like your Red vs. Red Scenarios a lot. The Map on this one is great as well as the briefing.

Now to the mission:

------------------------------------SPOILER--------------------------------------------

I had some trouble getting my forces through that bottleneck. To move all that bmps and tanks there is nearly work... :D

I killed all enemy tanks without problems because i have good ATGM positions.

I smoked the city with my mortar and get my GMG's and MG's into position. After i killed some of the enemys that showed up i wanted to move my bmps and tanks forward but 3 of them get hit and it took me a while to clear that threat.

Then i moved them ito positions on the hill to get good shots on all buildings.

Now it was time to move the infantry in...

The enemy fights like a lion...!

I kicked them with all my firepower but they make every building into a fortress.

Finally i took the south and the central but no time was left.

I have to say that i only fought with the tanks (T-62 and T55), the support in the pickups, the A Co. and recon guys.

I think i was not aggresive enough. And im not good at logistic... :D

I got a tactical defeat.

snap0015.jpg

What i would like to see:

- Maybe a small point to move infantry up to the hill at the beginning

- More "green" and all in all less enemys at the city... :D

I have to say that i dident do a good job, there are lots of things i could do better in a second try.

Great Scenario Pandur, it feels very realistic and makes lot of fun !

snap0012.jpg

First of all i have to say that i like your Red vs. Red Scenarios a lot. The Map on this one is great as well as the briefing.

thank you!

*************************SPOILERS********************************

To move all that bmps and tanks there is nearly work...

hehe yes it is, but thats 100% intentional. i wanted to recreated the feeling larger CMx1 maps gave you combined with the slow movement of WWII vehicles. in this map you can really do some nice road marches and coulums.

I killed all enemy tanks without problems because i have good ATGM positions.

I smoked the city with my mortar and get my GMG's and MG's into position. After i killed some of the enemys that showed up i wanted to move my bmps and tanks forward but 3 of them get hit and it took me a while to clear that threat.

Then i moved them ito positions on the hill to get good shots on all buildings.

Now it was time to move the infantry in...

The enemy fights like a lion...!

I kicked them with all my firepower but they make every building into a fortress.

Finally i took the south and the central but no time was left.

i gona post you some thumbnailed pictures, so others wich did not played the map so far, dont see it but they are clickable so you can enlarge it if you like to see the spoiler. this is some sort of gallery, you need to klick the full size buton to get it to full size.

i should have uploaded them one by one.

rest2.th.jpg

here behind that smoke i was moving up MG´s AGL´s and 1st platoon of A Co to that ledge there is. this is all BMP smoke, i dont used arty smoke in the beginning.

rest3.th.jpg

here this was a critical moment. 2nd platoon of A Co makes a dash into the south entrance. about 20 seconds later, the lead vehicle with the HQ will get hit and blow up, only the 2 man RPG team will be left. however the other two make it through and 2nd platoon A Co cleares south entrance for 3rd platoon to follow. 1 platoon A CO was packing up at that time, also to be transported into the city. the picture must be at minute 30 or so.

note; if i would have waited a minute longer, the southern smoke cloud would have drifted over the bridge and i most probably had not lost a vehicle and the whole HQ.

rest4.th.jpg

yea, me working in the city, not much to see here. the BMPs can do a great job in the city when used carefully so i took em into the fight but "behind" the lead tank. there are some more BMP´s in the city but no on the picture.

- Maybe a small point to move infantry up to the hill at the beginning

actually i was thinking about this a long time. accidently there was one, but i worked hard to remove it and search for others.

if you use your smoke i found you dont even need it, the bottleneck is good enough for the player :D and makes for a interessting challenge.

- More "green" and all in all less enemys at the city...

would you belive me if i tell you you never faced anything else then conscripts and a lot of greens in the city? the "hardened" fighters are up valley, past the city.

less eny in the city is a little relative. if you make a harder push into the city you can have it cleared by about 1Hr40Min. thing is there are "moving" elements in the city and also comming from north and if you get a shot at them when they still move makes the whole city thing a little easier as opposed to with all this guys in place. its like the "city" reacts to youre threat. in the first game houer some forces withhin the city will shift places and some forces will try to reinforce the city from north in a manner of a uncon QRF you could imagine.

I have to say that i dident do a good job, there are lots of things i could do better in a second try.

nothing wrong here, we learn a big deal through failure so why not use this fact :D

would you belive me if i tell you you never faced anything else then conscripts and a lot of greens in the city? the "hardened" fighters are up valley, past the city.

If i believe you in this ?

...no ! :D

I pounded many buildings to dust with HE Shells from my tanks and these insurgents stay in the debris ar the building next to and keep shooting at me.

I thought that green soldiers will rout quick if enemy fire hits them hard (thats what i saw when i played "green" syrian soldiers.

• 2 years later...

well, i am not sure right now to be honest. i think punitive "expedition" is MIA right now. i have some other versions of it that should have been revisited but not the original.

maybe someone still got it on HDD in thier game directory but i dont ;(

as said i was planing to revisit the scene because last version is from 1.04 or so game version i think but this was met with problems, i couldnt do what i wanted to so i stopped.

btw. i am glad you guys like Red Stream 120, its not a map everyone likes, i am quiet suprised someone dug up this old thread.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Pandur said:

i was not here a long time, now i find out about CMSF2, when this is out i probably will update this scenario for CMSF2. should be a blast replaying the scenario i made about 8 years ago, this time with good performance i guess.

Ok, I must be missing something cuz I don't see it at CMMODS...can you provide a link?

Thanks.

@Mord

thank you for providing the link to the scenario depot. i was thinking it should be easy to find in the repository, but its still the same so nothing is easy to find in the repository.

@grunt_GI

well i hope you get some enjoyment out of it, some can really enjoy that type of mission, others feel its "work". in any case, once you get some units around the first road bend, **** hits the fan and you are right in the action.