ATI Users anyone getting opengl issues???

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have an ATI Radeon 3850 und Windows XP SP2. If I install my old CMSF version, patch it to 1.10 (battlefront patch, cause I dl my game from battlefront) then to 1.20 i got every 4-5 minutes crashes of the game, I assume this is what you all discuss here. Right?

If I install the actual demo version (with marine and british forces) and play a battle (not british or marines, only CMSF) I have no probs with crashes, everything works fine.

It seems for me that it is not der ATI driver, must something to do with the old game and the patches.

Can please someone from battlefront comment this?

greetings

Visor

visor - Some of the crashes may depend on the 3D Texture and 3D Model quality settings in the Options area of CMSF (Fast, Faster, etc.). With lower quality settings, the game can run longer without crashing. This is especially true on smaller scenarios (like you might find in the Demo). If you run a larger scenario, then you'll probably run into the crashes more frequently like you're seeing with the full version.

If you don't have to have the newest driver, then the Catalyst 9.3 driver should work fine regardless of the Texture and Model quality settings. For some users however, there are other games that have had bug fixes or performance improvements with newer Catalysts and they don't want to give them up. And thus the desire for some sort of workaround to allow CMSF to run without problems, but also allow other programs to run with newer drivers.

Unfortunately I haven't found a method to get Windows XP to dynamically load up the ATI OpenGL ICD of the Catalyst 9.3 drivers. It is working for Vista users, but not under Windows XP. I'll keep trying, but there is a possibility that I won't be able to get this workaround working under Windows XP.

If we're all very lucky ATI may fix this issue with some newer drivers within a couple of months (Catalysts 9.9, 9.10 or later). ATI is aware of the problem and it does affect some other OpenGL games (though not all OpenGL games). So they're working on it at the moment, but we don't know which future Catalyst release will have the fix.

Hello, I been reading this thread with some concern. I had pc rebuilt recently and swapped out my nvidia 8800 card for an ati 4850. The reason I did this is because the nvidia 8800 card wasn't compatible with some of my older games e.g. medieval: total war1. Now I am reading on here that cm:battle for normandy may not be compatible with my ati card lol. My system specs are:

ati 4850 , catalyst 9.6 drivers

windows xp sp3

4gb ram

Should I download demo of the game and see if it works? If so, what demo should I download and where should I get this from. I should just add I am aware that normandy hasn't been released yet, I am just thinking of the future!

Thanks

Your Radeon 4850 should work with the Catalyst 9.3 drivers. If you want to use a newer driver (9.4 and newer), then at the moment there are serious incompatibilities under Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users have a workaround involving dynamically loading the Catalyst 9.3 OpenGL ICD DLL file (atioglxx.dll). Unfortunately this straight-forward workaround DOES NOT work under Windows XP.

Battlefront has been in contact with ATI (a rare response from a graphic chip developer) and this issue is being looked at. The OpenGL problem that CMSF is suffering from affects other OpenGL games. So we're hoping that sooner or later ATI will release a Catalyst driver that will fix this issue. This might not happen immediately with the Catalyst 9.9 release, but then again it might (we don't know ATI's internal scheduling for driver code fixes and updates). I suspect that ATI will have a fix before the Normandy release (which will probably be in Q1/2010). Now ATI may break that fix in the future (which has happened with both ATI and Nvidia in the past), so there's no guarantee that there will not be future problems with any video driver.

Regarding the Demo you can download the latest CMSF 1.20 Demo - here. You'll have to pick which download location you want to get it from a bit further down the page underneath DOWNLOAD LINKS (approx. 470MB). It should be a pretty good indication of the compatibility and performance of the game with your system. The exceptions to this would be large maps/scenarios which can further slow down a system that you may not experience with what is available in the demo.

I have downloaded the demo CMSF_Demo_Setup.exe from the link that you provided. Before I install this demo, please can you confirm that the demo will NOT install SecuROM software on my pc. I had terrible problems with SecuROM software on my last pc and want to delay it getting onto my newly rebuilt pc for as long as possible.

Thanks

I have downloaded the demo CMSF_Demo_Setup.exe from the link that you provided. Before I install this demo, please can you confirm that the demo will NOT install SecuROM software on my pc. I had terrible problems with SecuROM software on my last pc and want to delay it getting onto my newly rebuilt pc for as long as possible.

Thanks

No SecuROM.

The Demo has no licensing what so ever.

The Battlefront version of the FULL game uses eLicense which requires one time game registration over the internet. It allows for two copies of the game to be simultaneously licensed (you can have more INSTALLATIONS of the game, but only two of them can be licensed for concurrent operation).

All other Battlefront games currently use eLicense. If you purchase a Battlefront game from a retail store, then it may be a CDV or Paradox distributed game, which uses different licensing methods. I'm not specifically aware of any of the retail distributed releases using SecuROM, but I'm not absolutely sure of that. Getting a Battlefront distributed version should pretty much guarantee not having to deal with SecuROM.

visor - Some of the crashes may depend on the 3D Texture and 3D Model quality settings in the Options area of CMSF (Fast, Faster, etc.). With lower quality settings, the game can run longer without crashing. This is especially true on smaller scenarios (like you might find in the Demo). If you run a larger scenario, then you'll probably run into the crashes more frequently like you're seeing with the full version.

If you don't have to have the newest driver, then the Catalyst 9.3 driver should work fine regardless of the Texture and Model quality settings. For some users however, there are other games that have had bug fixes or performance improvements with newer Catalysts and they don't want to give them up. And thus the desire for some sort of workaround to allow CMSF to run without problems, but also allow other programs to run with newer drivers.

Unfortunately I haven't found a method to get Windows XP to dynamically load up the ATI OpenGL ICD of the Catalyst 9.3 drivers. It is working for Vista users, but not under Windows XP. I'll keep trying, but there is a possibility that I won't be able to get this workaround working under Windows XP.

If we're all very lucky ATI may fix this issue with some newer drivers within a couple of months (Catalysts 9.9, 9.10 or later). ATI is aware of the problem and it does affect some other OpenGL games (though not all OpenGL games). So they're working on it at the moment, but we don't know which future Catalyst release will have the fix.

thx for your answer, meanwhile I installed the catalyst driver 9.3 and the game runs with no crashes (sometimes 1 crash in 8 hours)

Visor

I have an ati radeon x850 and I'm getting constant crashes. It had been working fine with some old drivers, but started to crash from time to time. I decided to install 9.3 and it started crapping out within a few minutes. So I thought, maybe I can just roll back... nope. So I tried 9.2 and 9.1, both with crashes that result in either a blank blue screen, black screen, freeze, or restarting my machine!

I'm not sure what to do at this point! Any help would be great.

theFightingSeabee - The Radeon x850 should work fine with the 9.3 Catalysts. This is actually the latest/last version that this video card will work with.

I suggest running Driver Sweeper and hopefully it will delete all of your Catalyst files and registry entries. To use it, download and install it, then uninstall your current drivers with the ATI uninstaller (in the Add/Remove Programs control panel) . Once that is done reboot into Safe Mode and run the Driver Sweeper program there.

After the drivers have been fully removed and you've booted back into a Normal operating mode, now install the 9.3 Catalysts. This should hopefully work from here. If you're still seeing problems, let us know.

Your Radeon 4850 should work with the Catalyst 9.3 drivers. If you want to use a newer driver (9.4 and newer), then at the moment there are serious incompatibilities under Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users have a workaround involving dynamically loading the Catalyst 9.3 OpenGL ICD DLL file (atioglxx.dll). Unfortunately this straight-forward workaround DOES NOT work under Windows XP.

Battlefront has been in contact with ATI (a rare response from a graphic chip developer) and this issue is being looked at. The OpenGL problem that CMSF is suffering from affects other OpenGL games. So we're hoping that sooner or later ATI will release a Catalyst driver that will fix this issue. This might not happen immediately with the Catalyst 9.9 release, but then again it might (we don't know ATI's internal scheduling for driver code fixes and updates). I suspect that ATI will have a fix before the Normandy release (which will probably be in Q1/2010). Now ATI may break that fix in the future (which has happened with both ATI and Nvidia in the past), so there's no guarantee that there will not be future problems with any video driver.

Regarding the Demo you can download the latest CMSF 1.20 Demo - here. You'll have to pick which download location you want to get it from a bit further down the page underneath DOWNLOAD LINKS (approx. 470MB). It should be a pretty good indication of the compatibility and performance of the game with your system. The exceptions to this would be large maps/scenarios which can further slow down a system that you may not experience with what is available in the demo.

This is good. I recently got a new computer, bought the British mod, and BAM, all of a sudden crashes. Made me very unhappy, since I'd thought the crashes had been ironed out. I have a 4870 card and XP.

I'm not willing to roll back my drivers since my newer games need them, so I hope this gets worked out.

EDIT: I did a rollback to 9.3 and played for an hour. No crashes. I'll go back to the new drivers now. Pity ATI broke it.

theFightingSeabee - The Radeon x850 should work fine with the 9.3 Catalysts. This is actually the latest/last version that this video card will work with.

I suggest running Driver Sweeper and hopefully it will delete all of your Catalyst files and registry entries. To use it, download and install it, then uninstall your current drivers with the ATI uninstaller (in the Add/Remove Programs control panel) . Once that is done reboot into Safe Mode and run the Driver Sweeper program there.

After the drivers have been fully removed and you've booted back into a Normal operating mode, now install the 9.3 Catalysts. This should hopefully work from here. If you're still seeing problems, let us know.

Thanks! I'll give it a go asap and I'll post back with results.

Hmmm... not sure why you're seeing the "rainbow colored terrain" at a distance. Does this clear up as you get maneuver the camera closer to that terrain ? Does this 'rainbow coloring' affect all terrain, including ground tiles or just plants and buildings ? About how far away (in 'game' meters) does this affect occur ? What 3D settings do you have set in the Catalyst Control Center and what are your settings in the Options panel of CMSF ?

I'm not sure if there is any way to get rid of this particular effect, but I really haven't heard of it from others at this point (that I recall). So hopefully it is just some sort of setting that can be dialed back that will make it go away (reducing resolution, anti-aliasing, etc.). It seems to me to be some sort of issue with video memory for textures.

This has happened to me in the past when updating drivers. I rolled back (to which ones I do not remember) and it worked fine.

Details:

The effect does go away as I move the camera toward it. It also goes away when zooming, so I can't really zoom in to look at it closer.

It happens to terrain tiles, not really to plants or buildings.

It happens about 1000m or so away and beyond, but the closer 1000m or so is mainly seen when looking at that texture from a shallow vantage point. So the terrain would be really rainbowed out when viewing from eye view but much less so from a bird's eye view.

Displayed at 1152x864 70mhz. All settings at medium or turned off with no anti aliasing.

I found some old drivers... 8.9 in my drivers folder, so I may try to install them and see if that changes anything.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use any Catalyst driver newer than 9.3 right now, you WILL get lockups in CMSF. ATI is aware of this issue and they WILL have a fix in a future Catalyst driver, but we don't know which one.

Right now the Radeon 4770 and 4890 can't use the 9.3 Catalysts, so those video cards will have issues for now that cannot be worked around. Almost any other (newer) Radeon can use the 9.3 Catalysts and should work OK with CMSF. When ATI fixes this OpenGL bug in a future Catalyst (which MIGHT get released before the end of the year), there shouldn't be a problem (as far as we know at this point) of running a Radeon with CMSF.