SFS extractor tut???

there should be an help file with the archive explaining all, if I remember well, named ToW extractor usage and setup.doc

Here is the content of this file:

Tow extractor setup and usage

1)Setup and how to extract

Download the SFSExtractor.rar, extract the whole content into MissionEditor directory where Theatre of War is installed (password is 1234). If there was not yet created the Config.xml file, the content of the extractor is empty.

In this xml file is stored the MissionEditor location as sfsPath, and where to extract the data as ExtractDir.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<extractConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'>http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

* <sfsPath>C:\Users\Ales\Theatre of War\MissionEditor</sfsPath>

* <ExtractDir>C:\Users\Ales\TOW2</ExtractDir>

</extractConfig>

*If the MissionEditor location and Extract location are not set, set them, without them you cannot extract files. Then click "Refresh (auto)" button, if that's doesnt work close extractor and start it again, if the Config.xml exists it will automatically try to load configuration (filesid.ini, some hard coded values and Filelist.txt) and update the GUI on the startup.

If there are values in tree form, go to menu Tools/Extract and click it. It will start to extract files which are in the tree form and into the extract location which was set previously. The check boxes tells the extractor which dirs and files to extract, currently there is a bug in, if the parent dir is not set, it wont extract the children dirs and files even if they are set.

Overide flag, indicates to override existing file and dirs if they exists, if this flag is not set, it wont replace the existing file in extract process and it will skip it and go forward down the tree structure.

Select and Unselect all are the helper function selecting the whole and deselecting whole tree.

2) Searching for the potential files in tree/dir structure of the SFS

The "Find file in sub dirs" and the following edit box at the bottom of this text, is for searching files in SFS structure. If you type the full name of the file (no support for wildcards!) it will start from the begining of the tree and try to check if the file extists in current dir, if not it moves down the tree and checks for each dir, it stop's at the first find and the full path is displayed at the bottom of the editbox, if the file was not found it display

"No result". You can add fixed dirs and files in tree form by*right clicking on the parent dir.

For searching you can specify name with the dir (exp: data\units\Units_PersonNames.ini).

3) Adding new files in the configuration

In SFSExtractor location you will find the file Filelist.txt , this file is very important because it holds the files which should be loaded/extracted from SFSExtractor tool. If you found the new file and it's not in the extractor*then*open the Filelist.txt and add at the bottom in new line*the full filename (exp:data\units\Units_PersonNames.in) and save the file and restart the tool.

4) Loading and saving configuration

With the tree form manual manipulation and Filelist.txt manipulation you can create own subset of the file structure and save it in own xml file, also you can then*load this configuration. See File/Load for loading the xml and File/Save for saving the xml.

1. unzip to your mission editor folder.

2. run the exe file

3. put your tow mission editor location in the box on the bottom right that is asking for it.

4. create an extraction folder on your desktop and put this location in the box below #3.

5. Click on file / exit and close the program.

6. re-open the program and you should see a pulldown tree of files now listed in the box on the left.

7. click on tools/extract and all files will be extracted to the directory that you created in step #4.

8. No idea on what to do after this???????

This worked for me up to this point but I have no idea what I am doing. I want to understand how ROFL modded the unit icons (made them blue). If anyone can help me out here it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I also wanted to try and mod the GUI that you see during game play. I know that you can minimize the center panel but is it possible to remove the two boxex on each side of the screen that just show a terran map that is transparent. I would like to get rid of that altogher.

Nikki, Thanks for the thread. I can get as far as what I stated but then I have no idea on what to look for. Rofl had a main.tga and a controls.tga in the data folder (for his blue icon mod). I can open these with infranview but I really dont understand what I am looking at or how to mod them to maybe show a different color other than blue. Can you explain how this mod actually works? I am just trying to get my feet wet here.

Also is it possible to mod the gui (ingame). Maybe moving the controls horizontal instead of vertical to maximize screen view?

Also, do I need Filelist.txt? If so, where is it available?

Hi,

i have gotten a few info about setting up the SfsExtractor, first the official version is uploaded as zip on repository, i know that there were few version distributed as rar, if so then there is some chance that is password protected, try 1234 :) (needed that because of the virus scanners which didn't allow sending them as pure exe's files).

Second, i was messing around the app because of the support for Vista64, which current version doesn't support, i have found some bugs. You practically need to manually edit the Config.xml file (sorry about that) , just go there and modify/type correct location of MissionEditor location, and location where to extract, after that you need to restart the SFSExtractor.

br.

Dr.Jones