Graphical glitches

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this this old thread, but has anyone tried the new 191.07 drivers out yet?

I'm at work so I can't try them out for myself, but if someone has already given them a go, do they address the 'flashing buildings' bug that the 190 divers introduced (referenced in the link above)?

I have tested nearly all Geforce drivers from 181.xx to newest 191.xx. And 186 serie is the last one that does work with ambient lightning effect. Someting has been changed in the newer drivers. Bad luck, as many other programs performs better for me with 191 series drivers.

Thanks - I'm new to the wonders of Nvidia drivers, having been the owner of various ATI cards over the last 10 years or so.

I've rolled back to 186.18 now - I wasn't especially bothered by the flashing, but it can be headache-inducing on urban maps. I'd already been advised to roll back, but was being overly paranoid until now.

I've just disabled vertical sync and antialias and that option for quicker/better responses in the game menu and that has sped up things a lot, but it looks pretty poor now. So I will try it now with all off apart from the anti alias to see. I guess I could roll-back my drivers but I hate having to do that when they are fine for everything else.

As soon as you enable the multisampling option in the menu the game takes a huge performance hit! More than it should. So is this a problem with the engine or a problem with the Nvidia drivers?

There MIGHT be a solution to running newer 19x.xx drivers while having CMSF run the 186.xx drivers, if someone is willing to experiment...

With the 186.xx drivers installed go to C:\Windows\System32 and look for the file nvoglnt.dll and copy this file to your CMSF directory (where the CMSF executable is). POTENTIALLY this OpenGL ICD DLL file may run in place of the one in the System folder and allow you to have 186.xx's characteristics while running a 19x.xx driver for everything else.

The possible problems with this, however, are that Windows XP may not allow for this type of swapping of OpenGL ICDs (compared to what is loaded for the system). If that is the case then Windows Vista or Windows 7 MAY allow for it. However it is also possible that Nvidia's registry entries, etc. may not accommodate such an old-fashioned method of manipulating the OpenGL ICD. You will also be unable (most likely) to control the settings for this OpenGL ICD from the Nvidia Control Panel, which will be controlling the system-wide installed ICD in the System folder.

It may be possible to get these drivers without fully installing them, but you will have to install them to the point of getting them fully extracted (and cancel the installation after that point). Then you would have to find the nvoglnt.dl_ and expand it in a command prompt with the command (browse to the folder where the nvoglnt.dl_ file is located):

expand nvoglnt.dl_ nvoglnt.dll

This should provide an expanded OpenGL ICD file that can be copied to the CMSF directory.

There's no guarantee that it will work, but this has been a partial solution for Vista and Windows 7 users for the Radeons when it comes to using newer Catalyst drivers, but CMSF requiring Catalyst 9.3 OpenGL for stability reasons.

Unfortunately, when I tested this: copied nvoglv32.dll from 186.xx drivers to CMSF folder then installed 191.07. Result was opengl driver version mismatch error and CMSF exited.

BTW, I didn't have that nvoglnt.dll in my Vista 32bit machine at all.

EDIT: Clarification> I tested this proposal only on Vista 32bit

The Vista drivers are probably different and the OpenGL file has a different name. I believe it is nvoglv32.dll, but I'm not looking at a Vista install with Nvidia hardware in it at the moment.

I was afraid that the Windows XP instructions wouldn't work. They didn't work for the ATI Radeons either (though the game just doesn't launch, no error is ever given).

For Vista and Windows 7 the above instructions might work, but there's a chance that the same error that Windows XP generated may occur for them too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have been testing every 196 series when out and always returned to 188.43 that has best besformance in my system and no flashes. Still not fixed.

Thank you for the feedback Smuli.

Battlefront, please, try to do some "pressing" on NVidia about this problem, we need a fix from them!