Centauro Expansion Pack

Broadsword

I not long finished reading Osprey's Sevastopol campaign book and found that a really interesting and very well written book. I would love to see a campaign featuring the Russian defenders versus the German/Romanian attackers. It would be a totally different campaign relying on artillery and infantry assaults with very few tanks involved. A definite challenge.

It would be a totally different campaign relying on artillery and infantry assaults with very few tanks involved. A definite challenge.

But then I'd insist on putting in that 600mm mortar "Thor" or even the 800mm rail-gun "Gustav". ;-)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=183_1243099583

I've seen a Russian veteran on TV, he was inside one of of the Forts, and IIIRC he said that more than 5 shells were fired, so he might have been in Fort Stalin or Fort Molotov, as part of the Russian garrison when the 800mm shells hit the fortress. He said that it felt like being on a ship, or like during an earthquake, as the whole structure trembled from impact. He said that some comrades went nuts and that this kind of shelling was extremely demoralizing, as they initially believed the Fort would be a nut too hard to crack for the Germans.

Back to the "unusual theater"-suggestion:

Yeah Romania might be an interesting theater.

My granduncle fought (and died) in Romania, which wasn't a pleasant place to be for a German Landser: The Romanians changed sides overnight (the Russians didn't trust them though, and treated Romanian units as POWs as well, afaik), turning Romania into hell for the Germans. Romanians in their back and the ever-charging Russians in front of them...

I've heard a German vet reporting stuff like as yet friendly Romanian battalions suddenly attacking them in the middle of the night, with him and a bunch of survivors running through a grainfield, with MG tracers traveling over their heads (pretty much in Forrest Gump fashion). They then had to run for several days before finding a German unit.

My mother's neighbor was a Kradmelder (dispatch rider - motorbike), he tried to escape, made it from the border to Moldavia all through Rumania to Budapest (Hungary) just to get picked up by an officer to join a Kampfgruppe and to be encircled by the Russians. He had already dropped most of his uniform, as he thought the war was over for him. The officer didn't consider him to be a deserter, so he was "lucky" - well, still had to fight again during the last days of the war in Europe, so absurd.

As to the Italians joining the Allied side, quite a few Italian units let the Germans pass through their control zones, when they were retreating to the next defense line - out of sympathy, as quite some of their commanders had fought with the Germans in Russia or elsewhere, and other Italian units just knew their equipment was no match for the German heavy weapons. Actually, the Germans were ordered to disarm them.

Well it would go without saying that Dora and Thor would be off map artillery call in abilities. We would be talking lots of infantry on the map, which could degenerate into pure chaos but still be a new style of play for TOW which mainly focuses on tanks.

Although I am glad Italy will be getting its own expansion soon for TOW2, I would really like to see some missions centering around the Italian forces in Russia. I would say the same about Romania, since they were involved in the Stalingrad sector and would involve some combined arms missions for both nations.