CMBB Vista upgrade

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I apply this new Vista patch to a fresh install of CMBB it only displays three Battles, and there are no Operations. What's up with that?

I was thinking it might be a display issue so I Alt+Tabbed out of the game and went back in, but no luck. I also disabled AA for the game through my video card, so I don't think it's a display issue. Looking in my Scenarios folder in the directory shows I have quite a bit more than three Battles to choose from, or at least I should.

Any idea what the problem could be?

I am having the exact same problem as pixelbaron. When I start a new game there are no operations listed and only three battles: "A simple attack comrade," "a Small battles Small melee," "all Battles Bidermann's guns." I'm sure I installed the Vista patch in the right game and not the demo.

System specs:

Vista Home premium

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

Receipe for a successful applepie... uh, upgrade:

You need:

- one working installed game of CMBB

- upgrade ZIP file, purchased, downloaded, and extracted

Do:

- open the CMBB game folder, and locate the "CM Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" file

- rename "CM Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" to e.g. "CMBB Backup.exe"

- open the folder where you extracted the ZIP file contents

- copy the contents of the ZIP folder into the CMBB game folder

- set the new "CM Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" to "Run as administrator" under Vista, or shut down UAC

- launch the game

If you are still running into issues, then this will be either because of your anti-virus program blocking the new exe from being executed (falsely claiming a virus where there is none), or because your Data-execution-prevention (DEP) settings are kicking in. The Helpdesk at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk has details about what to do then (in the eLicense section).

If you are still running into issues, then this will be either because of your anti-virus program blocking the new exe from being executed (falsely claiming a virus where there is none), or because your Data-execution-prevention (DEP) settings are kicking in. The Helpdesk at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk has details about what to do then (in the eLicense section).

I don't think this can possibly account for the mostly-empty scenario folder view. The crashes, sure.

Moon, Phillip, et al,

Here I am STILL not able to play this game . Have I followed the installation instructions to the letter? Yes. Did I check the "Knowledge Base"? Yes. Have I posted my issue in the tech support forum? Yes, although only Redwolf has stopped in to assist (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=88067). Have I e-mailed tech support? Yes I e-mailed Matt Faller, although I have received nothing in reply, not even an autoreply. Am I beginning to get a bit angry about the whole thing? I'll let you guess the answer to this one.

I am not usually an "early adopter" as I get a slight case of the ass when things do not work as advertised. I took a risk in this case as Battlefront has always resolved any of my issues in the past (I have been playing CMBB/CMAK since they came out). I even bought these two patches the very day that they were available on Battlefront. When was that again? Ah, yes. 23 July. It is now the 15th of August and I haven't played either game once. Will someone PLEASE HELP?

I would have posted this in my original thread but as I did not append a smiley face to the topic, it seems to have been ignored (unlike this thread).

Here: :) Now that we are friends, you can help me, yes?

I installed the vista patch and am seeing a different problem.

I am running vista on a dell laptop with a ATI mobility Radeon HD 3400 series.

In CMBB, the in game text appears as white on white background (and thus unreadable).

Strange thing is, I also had this problem in CMAK BEFORE the patch, but the patch fixed it.

Any ideas?

I've got a problem that makes me feel real stupid. I installed the latest demo (Vista 32b). I want to change my video settings but I can't find a file called CMBB prefs anywhere. I tried if it was a hidden file but with hidden files shown, I still can't find it. What's going on!?

That file is inside your game folder but it's only there after the first time you run the game.

But I ran the game many times already. There's got to be something about my German speaking Vista that has hidden the file from me.

You see, I even uninstalled the demo once, then installed it again, and as I ran it, I wasn't asked to choose the resolution. Doesn't it mean the pref file was already there? Even still, even the Vista find function cannot find the file on my hard-drive. It seems as if it was saved as a registry entry or something.

Lucky me, there was a solution to my white-text problem elsewhere.

But I ran the game many times already. There's got to be something about my German speaking Vista that has hidden the file from me.

You see, I even uninstalled the demo once, then installed it again, and as I ran it, I wasn't asked to choose the resolution. Doesn't it mean the pref file was already there? Even still, even the Vista find function cannot find the file on my hard-drive. It seems as if it was saved as a registry entry or something.

Lucky me, there was a solution to my white-text problem elsewhere.

Admin versus non-admin installation and runtime?

MattJames - the file should be called Combat Mission BB Prefs. It has those spaces and no extension. It should most likely be located somewhere within the User folder since Vista likes to grab any user created data and stuff it there, rather than allowing files to be written to the Program Files directory. Under Windows XP this file would be in the same directory as the CMBB executable.

MattJames - the file should be called Combat Mission BB Prefs. It has those spaces and no extension. It should most likely be located somewhere within the User folder since Vista likes to grab any user created data and stuff it there, rather than allowing files to be written to the Program Files directory. Under Windows XP this file would be in the same directory as the CMBB executable.

Just as a test, I searched for this file on my Vista laptop. I couldn't find it.

GenSplatton - this file will NOT be created until CMBB is run and exited normally (i.e. - you don't kill it with Task Manager, etc.). If you have run and exited successfully and still can't find the file, then I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it can't be found. CMBB saves its settings there and if the executable can't find the file, then you're presented with the resolution selection process each time you attempt to run CMBB.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moon,

It has now been a month and a half since I first raised this issue and emailed customer support. No resolution here in the forums and not a word from customer support either. I'd like my $10 back now please. As the forum is the only means of communication, please reply to this post and I will them PM you for the address to which you can send the check. Deal?

I just bought the vista upgrade yesterday. After installation I found the following problems:

1. Only three scenarios show and no operations. I tried just about everything (XP compatibility, playing game as administrator, etc) and was unable to change this. Querstion: Does the activation code I was supplied during the purchase process work to fully unlock the original game? In my test and checks it appears to be a hard coded problem as the three scenarios are all in the same folder as all of the other scenarios that do not show. My guess is that the code I was supplied does not turn the game into the full version and perhaps is still showing in demo mode? The program does not have a standard about box that I could find that shows the status of the program.

2. I was unable to edit the scenarios. Attempting to do so resulted in an error code saying that I need to upgrade my program version to do so. Apparently when the program checks the scenario for version number it is not recognizing that version 1.04 is a good version.