Your Best Screen Shot 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CM:SF: Verdun.

CMSF_Verdun.jpg

Interestingly enough, CM:SF is "cheating" in terms of terraforming: if you throw enough ordnance at a section of a map, you get again a smooth "billard table" landscape that shows just the textures where the shells impacted. Thus, no real "terraforming" is possible, perhaps for preventing excessive terrain deformation.

Best regards,

Thomm

Yes that face is a real gem.

And heck, those SPG-9s are damned powerful. They have really caused me a lot of trouble many times. I remember in CMBB, when recoilless rifles were first introduced, they were useless against anything but a halftrack or a jeep. Like pea-shooters. Even halftracks could take a number of hits with impunity. But nowadays they are really deadly.

And heck, those SPG-9s are damned powerful. They have really caused me a lot of trouble many times. I remember in CMBB, when recoilless rifles were first introduced, they were useless against anything but a halftrack or a jeep. Like pea-shooters. Even halftracks could take a number of hits with impunity. But nowadays they are really deadly.

You must be thinking of anti-tank rifles like the 7.92mm Panzerbüchse or 14.5mm PTRD. Those are heavy rifles firing high velocity kinetic shots. There were recoilless rifles in CMBO already, like the US 57mm RR or German 88mm Püppchen. Those were just as deadly as any other HEAT weapon, capable of knocking out most medium tanks.

I can't remember what they were but if memory serves they were Russian. I could often them hitting my armour or halftracks but usually to very little effect. Yes, they would cause damage or even knockout some vehicles occasionally, but for the most part they died first.

It's a long time since I played, though -four years at least - so it's possible my overactive imagination may have distorted the memories somewhat, but thinking back on it now gets me remembering just how damn good CMBB was (and I guess, still is).

Yes, Soviets had these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTRD

but they're not recoilless rifles, they're more like modern anti-materiel rifles such as Barrett. Most armies had their own ATR's early in the war but by 1944 they were obsolete in anti-tank role.

However, Soviets had no recoilless rifles in WW2. Recoilless rifle is a backblast weapon and looks nothing like a rifle.

Recoilless rifle:

musti2.jpg

Anti tank rifle:

lahti_action.jpg