NEW Mechwarrior

And to promote this new game, Mechwarrior IV is going to be released for free, at some point in the future, as yet unannounced.

I'm frankly amazed that the Warhammer is appearing again, I was under the impression that it was one of the 'vanished' designs, like the Marauder? Though it was nice to see a Jenner in the trailer, enough with all the super-tech, back to roots!

I have been having a rather pointless argument over on the mechwarrior Living legends forum.which is a mech mod for crysis.About how good or bad a would be in RL combat situations.I can see that they are a fantasy and a load of lesser vehicles would do the job better and cheaper than one mech.

Does anyone agree with me or am i being stupid?

I have been having a rather pointless argument over on the mechwarrior Living legends forum.which is a mech mod for crysis.About how good or bad a would be in RL combat situations.I can see that they are a fantasy and a load of lesser vehicles would do the job better and cheaper than one mech.

Does anyone agree with me or am i being stupid?

I love pointless arguments and I don't think you are being stupid. Mechanized anything has certain limitations; blind spots, fuel supply, mobility issues, cost of production, repair, etc. We have Predator drones flying over battlefields today but the Brits have, on at least occasion, fixed bayonets and charged into the fray. How old school is that?

At this point, US Military is doing some research into exoskeletons primarily for combat support stuff -- allowing a single soldier reload a 155mm howitzer by himself, for instance.

Anything's possible 1,000 years into the future, but anything like the classic anthropomorphic Mech seems extremely unlikely to me. It seems to me that if mechanical legs ever become a viable alternative to wheels and tracks, whatever combat vehicles coming out of this technology will still be very low to the ground, and not at all anthropomorphic. Low profile == harder to detect via radar (or similar radiation detection systems), and also more able to take advantage of defilade. Why would you design a combat system that needs a 3-story high building to hide behind, when you can design one that could hide in a shallow ditch?

Basically, if "walking" vehicles become a technological reality, than I think we're much more likely to see combat vehicles that represent giant robot ants or even centipedes than mechanized humans.

The whole size thing is another issue. Right now, everything is trending towards smaller, harder to detect stuff. You have to posit a massive technological paradigm change to justify why it would be at all advantageous to field a system as large as a Mechwarrior mech; under current paradigms, a system like this would be detected by distant enemy sensors, and blown away by weapons systems firing from somewhere very far away.

But hey, giant human robots look cool, and the original Mechwarrior was big fun. I'll sign up for some crazy giant robot combat action again!

And to promote this new game, Mechwarrior IV is going to be released for free, at some point in the future, as yet unannounced.

I'm frankly amazed that the Warhammer is appearing again, I was under the impression that it was one of the 'vanished' designs, like the Marauder? Though it was nice to see a Jenner in the trailer, enough with all the super-tech, back to roots!

They've managed to re-licence those designs: Return of the Unseen