arma ii demo

Guest Guest

Speaking of OFP2, I'm actually working on a simulation mod using that very slick EGO engine with LUA (CM:SF actually provided some inspiration). The new engine gives us modders a lot more freedom to push the gameplay in new directions (halfway decent AI, suppression modeling, armor modeling based on RHAe vs KE/HEAT not hitpoints, and so on). I worked on the ACE mod for ArmA and I think OFP2 will be a good opportunity to try some new things.

you can check us out at http://combatsimproject.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Anyway, there also was new trailer released for OFP2 today,

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363946

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might even be better on consoles, because of the number of people using the online networking systems.

Most of the problems I have with the AI would be moot in multiplayer. The trouble is just getting enough people online at one time, on anything like a regular basis. The console community is just so much larger, especially through systems like XboxLIVE etc. It might be easy to get 20+ player games at any time you want, if the game is popular enough.

To hell with playing any shooters on a console with a controller. They may have armies of little spazoid kids ready to play. But I'd gladly stick to PC communities any day over consoles.

Yeah I have no idea... I see enemy soldiers standing in the open nearly 100% of the time... like, that's pretty much where they are when I shoot them. :)

Sounds like the same AI used in ARMA. If shot at the enemy soldier will drop to the ground, but he won't bother moving 1 foot to get behind cover! go figure! haha

I posted a preview of the new OFP awhile back. For those that missed it, here it is again.

This was great to hear and a fear we all have.

There's certainly room for both of these games, at least to keep BI on their toes. A good thing for us customers/fans.

Thanks for the link! I haven't seen this preview of OFP.

So, they still have the uninterpretable reload animation?! argh!! iirc, a lot of people have complained about this problem in ArmA - you think you are in cover and start to reload to find out a millisecond later that an previously hidden enemy soldier on your exposed flank starts taking shots at you. You cannot interrupt the reload animation and crawl to safety! haha folks have asked for an option to interrupt the reload animation so you could at least attempt to crawl to safety.

So, they still have the uninterpretable reload animation?!

It's true that animations cannot be uninterrupted, however, you can now move while reloading, using binoculars, etc. Therefore if you are caught in a bad position reloading, you can still move to cover. The only action that makes you immobile is changing weapons. Kind of annoying but I can live with it.

I picked up Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 instead. Although it's mostly close quarters stuff, the AI does use cover really well. They'll blind fire, duck behind columns, switch positions and so on. The friendly team-mates are pretty good at doing the same.

If they could get the gameplay of this title into Arma2 you'd have something pretty sweet. :)

I agree but given the open world nature of ArmA2, sadly we won't see it. No doubt we'll see some improvement in AI smarts in future patches.

I picked up Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 instead. Although it's mostly close quarters stuff, the AI does use cover really well. They'll blind fire, duck behind columns, switch positions and so on. The friendly team-mates are pretty good at doing the same.

If they could get the gameplay of this title into Arma2 you'd have something pretty sweet. :)

The reason why they use the cover well is because the game is scripted to Hades and back. The AI isn't really doing anything; this won't work well in an open-world game like Arma2.

Adam, again I can only restate that what you are seeing is not what I'm and many others seeing. Just last weekend I got nailed two times more by soldiers I never saw. I also noticed one group standing in the open - because I had not given them "COMBAT" behaviour in the editor. As soon as I did they were hidden.

I've played A1 to hell and back, so I'd definitely recognize if the AI is the same. It clearly isn't.

Funny that R6:Vegas 2 is mentioned, I've been meaning to play this game again. Last night I did, buddy and me played and beat the game in coop. I don't think the AI is scripted, it is somewhat, like triggered by us, but they use cover dynamically. Just like your teammates, although there are times when both teammates and AI alike use cover but with really bad exposed angles. This happens when positions/angles are changed and the AI haven't reacted to it yet.

I think the core complaint about AI in A2 is probably that they need babysitting or more micromanagement. In a game like R6: vegas, they just do it, even your AI teammates. But in defense to A2, the more wide open the battlefield the more problems you run into. The R6 series is always about CQB and not wide open battlefields.

It's true that animations cannot be uninterrupted, however, you can now move while reloading, using binoculars, etc. Therefore if you are caught in a bad position reloading, you can still move to cover. The only action that makes you immobile is changing weapons. Kind of annoying but I can live with it.

I agree but given the open world nature of ArmA2, sadly we won't see it. No doubt we'll see some improvement in AI smarts in future patches.

This is good news about being able to move whilst reloading and and using binocs! That is a step up from ArmA where you had no control of your character during the reloading animation.

I would have been happy with ArmA2 if I found my character under fire during the reload animation I could cancel my reload (set it back to starting to avoid cheating) in order to move.

OT, is moving while reloading realistic? I mean is moving while reloading practiced in modern armed forces?

One of the other improvements in movement is when using anti-tank weapons. In previous games, you were forced to crouch and move slowly when one was in your hands. Now you can crouch or stand and fire from either position and travel is fairly swift in either case.

You can also move doubled-over to reduce your profile. Further, your torso bends from the middle, enabling you to take full cover behind half height walls without going prone. You can freely look around moving just your head. This also permits you to peek around corners or over cover without exposing your torso.

Small bickies but pleasing nonetheless.

Funny that R6:Vegas 2 is mentioned, I've been meaning to play this game again. Last night I did, buddy and me played and beat the game in coop. I don't think the AI is scripted, it is somewhat, like triggered by us, but they use cover dynamically. Just like your teammates, although there are times when both teammates and AI alike use cover but with really bad exposed angles. This happens when positions/angles are changed and the AI haven't reacted to it yet.

I think the core complaint about AI in A2 is probably that they need babysitting or more micromanagement. In a game like R6: vegas, they just do it, even your AI teammates. But in defense to A2, the more wide open the battlefield the more problems you run into. The R6 series is always about CQB and not wide open battlefields.

I've beaten R6V2 at least three times. Trust me, it's scripted. :D

It's a fun game, but IMO the gameplay is not something to be emulated as much as it is to be improved.

I've beaten R6V2 at least three times. Trust me, it's scripted. :D

It's a fun game, but IMO the gameplay is not something to be emulated as much as it is to be improved.

Hmm, ok then explain terrorist hunts then. Although they're in the same positons over and over like in SP. But they do different things almost every time just like in SP.

Also I think we may have different definitions for scripted. The part that is scripted, is the AI position and their attack triggers. Which is what I was referring to when I said "somewhat scripted". But beyond that the AI is dynamic, meaning they don't do the same thing in combat over and over.

In other words, does the AI attack you and fight you exactly the same way every time? Nope, they sure don't and I don't need to beat the game 3 times to know that.

I don't think it's scripted in the sense that everything plays out the same way everytime, but due to the corridor nature of many of the environments there are only a limited number of options for the AI in any particular circumstance. CoD is the same way. Certainly the missions are scripted, but the AI is able to react somewhat dynamically to the player, it's just that they are only provided with a handful of options. Some of the AI actions are clearly triggers initiated by the player, rather than dynamic AI decisions. Imagine what would happen with AI behavior in those games if the player were suddenly able to ignore the "arena" walls on the levels or take to the air. "Oh noes! My bullet proof barrel is worthless!"

In other words, does the AI attack you and fight you exactly the same way every time? Nope, they sure don't and I don't need to beat the game 3 times to know that.

Hmm, I would say that 90% of the time, yes they do. What version are you playing? I played this on the 360, maybe the PC version is different.

Also, I can't explain terrorist hunt. I don't think anyone can explain it! :D

OK, on a more serious note, in my experience the AI in TH will spawn in slightly different places each time (and spawning them in without getting killed is a battle in and of itself), but once they do, it's highly predictable what they'll do.

Playstation3 - Has its own fps coming - MAG or Massive Action Game will allow for online battles consisting of up to 256 players at once. : )

wow! 256 players? I will have to bing MAG and check it out (please please please please be a realistic shooter).

Oh, iirc, isn't ArmA2 to be released for Xbox360 and PS3? That might save me a bit of cash by not having to get a new PC.

If you can send me a scenario showing this stuff I'd appreciate it. I get shot by enemy soldiers I don't see all the time. But I haven't had any luck getting them "cover aware" in my scenarios. (demo editor)

I could create a mission for you, but I have no clue what works with the demo. Simple USMC Squad maybe?

For the talk on R6 Vegas - I stopped playing with the first Ghost Recon, but as far as I can tell it the biggest difference between these games and Arma is that the maps are "pathed" for the bots. There are door points, cover points, stairs and so on all connected by a path node network which the AI uses to figure out what it's doing in the gameworld.

With Arma2, the AI is directly "reading" their environment. If you play "Trial by Fire" you might see a few of the enemy guys I mentioned peeking over a wall by moving up a slope. Which to me seems to indicate the cover-seeking is LOS based, definitley not of the simple "move to an object and crouch" idea.

In "Trial By Fire" I nailed 4 guys in 5 seconds, but that was because I rushed into what turned out to be a keyhole position, spotted them through a doorway just as they paused at the edge of an alley, then brought my M16A4 to bear and let fly with rapid aimed fire until they all went down. :D

However, plenty of times I got wounded or outright killed by an uncon I hadn't spotted.

I admit, my sense of FPS games is colored (some would say tainted) by my much greater experience with arcade-ish shooters like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, but I must say: it's awfully disconcerting to hear rounds snapping past you and having no idea where they're coming from. :eek: