BBC: Latest UK armoured cars unveiled

A fleet of armoured vehicles designed for use in Afghanistan has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.

The Husky, Wolfhound and Coyote models are being introduced as part of a £350m tactical support vehicles programme.

They are not direct replacements for the lightly-armoured Snatch 2 Land Rover which has been criticised for failing to offer sufficient protection.

However, the MoD says the fleet will give commanders greater ability to choose the best vehicle for the job.

video and full article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8117218.stm

I like the Jackal on steroids (Coyote), but I really want a Husky.

Oh yeah, love the Coyote:

LAND_Jackal_TSV-L_Coyote_lg.jpg

The Husky has a more civilian look about it. You can see it here with the unarmored version.

LAND_Navistar_MXT_Unarmored_and_Armored_lg.jpg

The wolfhound is based on the cougar 6X6. A bit of a shy beast this one - there are not many photographs of it on the net, apart from this one:

LAND_Cougar_Wolfhound_6x6_Flatbed_lg.jpg

The Coyote is actually quite well designed for its intended function: promoting better hygiene in the field. First get your muddy, smelly, grimy squaddies and pile 'em in. Next, get that thing up to about 60mph. Keep driving until you hit a rain shower (thunderstorm if they're REALLY dirty). Drive through the rain until everyone's thoroughly wetted down. Finally, drive OUT of the rain at high speed until everyone's dry. See?

In a similar vein, you could use a dust storm to nicely camouflage everyone, easily and quickly.

Obviously, it can also be used to clear up the pasty, oily, somewhat pimply complexions of our brethren from the British Isles. Just load 'em up in the desert and patrol for several hours. They'll be pinked up in no time!

Oh, and what's with the "designer effect" side windows on that armored car? WTF? Does it look good on the sales brochure? I'm sure it's nice not to see outside, what with the bright sun and all....

Ken

Well pilgrim, it sure is a big vee-hic-ule.[/John Wayne]

I thought so too when I saw the first prototype. It's so easy to lose track of the scale of things when they all get squished onto a monitor. :-D

Sorry - couldn't resist.

You and nearly everyone else that replies to me...it just usually starts with "Howdy, pilgrim..."

Well, you may not be playing with these vehicles specifically, but you'll be able to put your all tactical theores to the test with the other Brit vehicle types soon enough. Jackal, WMIK, FV432 (the Brit M113 impersonator). How do they stand up when facing an enemy? That's the advantage of CMSF, you can 'wargame' your theories, see what works and what doesn't, discover the vehicles strengths and weaknesses for yourself. Jackal may be the coolest thing on the battlefield or in may just be a funny looking truck.

Well, you may not be playing with these vehicles specifically, but you'll be able to put your all tactical theores to the test with the other Brit vehicle types soon enough. Jackal, WMIK, FV432 (the Brit M113 impersonator). How do they stand up when facing an enemy? That's the advantage of CMSF, you can 'wargame' your theories, see what works and what doesn't, discover the vehicles strengths and weaknesses for yourself. Jackal may be the coolest thing on the battlefield or in may just be a funny looking truck.

Weeeeell...TBH I don't think CM:SF can show the strengths of a Jackal. It's very good at showing how things perform when they arrive at a high danger battlefield and are under concentrated attack but I think it's much less good at showing how the complex interplay of logistics, maintenance and performance prove the usefulness of the vehicle.

I think the strengths of the British vehicles will be under appreciated when they appear. When actually under attack armour plate is a lot more important than suspension travel but in the real world if the vehicle didn't have sufficient suspension travel it wouldn't be in a situation to prove how much it was affected by its lack of armour plate. Kinda thing.