Intelligence Impact on R&D

I'd like to restate my question (which perhaps was lost in the other thread):

I'd like to clarify the impact of "intelligence" on the opponent's research:

So if I'm understanding this correctly if I research to level 4 intelligence and my opponent has level 0 intelligence then they could NEVER succeed in researching any tech beyond level 1? (because the chance to go from 1 to 2 is 4%) Correct? (unless they invested multiple chits into the same research)

Does this also apply to my enemy researching intelligence? In other words if I somehow managed to blitz to level 5 intelligence and my opponent had level 0 intelligence then they would never be able to research anything (including intelligence themselves)?

It concerns me that the technology "Intelligence" may be too important / potent. If every point of intelligence improves your R&D chance by 1% and reduces your opponents chance by 1%, then a spread of just 3 points could mean that one nation is researching with an 8% chance vs the other nation researching at a 2% chance (just imagine how bad this could be if intelligence got up to five - a nation like Italy (with very few points to invest in the first place) would be wasting any investment in research because they'd have almost no chance of success - in particular toward the end of the game)

Am I understanding this correctly? Does anyone have any thoughts / opinions?