Thanks for ModPack

Oudy

I would like to thank the developers at 1C and Battlefront for the release of the modpack for TOW1. The information contained in the files will help modders understand how to create new models and extend the longevity of the game. This modpack should also help people interested in modding for TOW2.

Oudy

I share Oudy's appreciation. The shear volume and quality of the stuff released is impressive. The documentation about creating new units is greatly appreciated. The manuals are very clear and complete. With only the houses static objects and bridges, modders will be able to create a lot of new interesting maps. It is nice to be able to grasp what was the vision of the devellopers about ToW. There is so much stuff here that should have been in the initial release. I specially appreciated to see the armored trains (even a Polish one!) and the beautiful steam locos that were planned to be included in the game as playable units. All the new models units in the release, ready to be included in ToW should keep us busy for a while. New tanks, new vehicles and guns... even Romanian, Hungarian, and italians for the eastern front!

The models could even be converted for ToW2 with a bit of work.

Still I admit that i'm a bit puzzled after having read the ToW Model Converter document:

from reading it, we get the impression that the conversion tools are provided in an other archive of the ToW mega mod pack, but the only tool listed in the documentation included in the pack is the house.ms script. What of the collisions.ms, vehicles.ms, tekstexp_max8.dle, 3dm2msh.exe, 3do23dm.exe, AddTangentSpace.exe, cnvSequ.bat,

cnvMono.bat, cnvmodelopt.bat, cnvMany.bat, cnvHier.bat, cnvEffMono.bat, HanCnv.exe, cnv.bat, and Tse2xxx.exe utilities and scripts? where they planned to be part of the mod pack, or will the tools come in an other release?

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the gift that 1C and Battlefront has given us, I would even probably have paid to get this as an add-on, but I can't help to be hungry for more, convinced that I was that the tools mentionned in the manuals were part of the release.

Anyway, Thanks a lot for all this great stuff provided freely to us, it is really appreciated :)

Still I admit that i'm a bit puzzled after having read the ToW Model Converter document:

from reading it, we get the impression that the conversion tools are provided in an other archive of the ToW mega mod pack, but the only tool listed in the documentation included in the pack is the house.ms script. What of the collisions.ms, vehicles.ms, tekstexp_max8.dle, 3dm2msh.exe, 3do23dm.exe, AddTangentSpace.exe, cnvSequ.bat,

cnvMono.bat, cnvmodelopt.bat, cnvMany.bat, cnvHier.bat, cnvEffMono.bat, HanCnv.exe, cnv.bat, and Tse2xxx.exe utilities and scripts? where they planned to be part of the mod pack, or will the tools come in an other release?

Do you want the official answer or the inofficial one? Officially, "we have always planned to release these utilities and scripts today in a separate archive".

Inofficially, they were simply forgotten to be included. :) Oops. I have just put up a Part 5 of the mod pack with (hopefully) all of the missing meshtools.

Martin

Thanks for the answer Moon! ;) forgotten to be included? This was wicked joke to play on us :D

Now I'm a fully happy man :)

@Prince of Eckmühl: the vehicles included are listed in the repository (though the names didn't help me to know what they are). Here is the detailled list:

-A flack 38 AA gun on its lafette.

-Brone Parozow is a Russian armored train (it was supposed to be a fully functionnal player unit, looking at the file, before the idea of usable trains was dropped). We could probably still use it as a playable unit, albeit a static one if we create the configuration files that are needed. It will require to find historical data for this train, though.

-There are models of canadians?, Romanians, Italians and Hungarians soldiers.

-Files for a US M-26 Pershing tank in various states of completion

-Minin is an other armored train (locomotive, tender and artillery waggon)

-P-52 and tender is the beautiful model of a steam engine with its tender (also supposed to be a playable unit rather than a static one, as the wheels are animated?)

-SdKfz251C with hull mounted 280mm Wurfgerat

-SdKfz251C with hull mounted 320mm Wurfgerat

-SdKfz 234/2 Puma 8 wheeled armored car

-Sha and tender is an other beautiful steam engine with tender (also with animated wheels)

-Smialy is a Polish armored train including artillery waggon, assault waggon, engine and tender. It was also intended to be a fully functionnal unit, as there are various hooks for the crew, the guns, and hooks to attach the waggons to the engine. We could probably make it a playable static unit with some work.

-Teplushka is a wooden freight car.

-Wurfgerat 41 Rocket Launcher 280mm: a static rocket launcher unit

-Wurfgerat 41 Rocket Launcher 320mm: a static rocket launcher unit

• 2 months later...

Can anyone give me details on how to get the buildings from the modpack into the game so I can use them in the editor. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did not see any threads when I searched. Thanks.

Also, what is the highest building in the editor?

Can anyone give me details on how to get the buildings from the modpack into the game so I can use them in the editor. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did not see any threads when I searched. Thanks.

I also have the same question. Is there a step by step instruction for this?

Thanks.

Also, what is the highest building in the editor?

I second the quote above.

I'm not asking modding questions, I just want to know how to use the mods provided in the mod pack. Will anyone in the mod community throw out some pointers?

very easy, just add a few lines to the static.ini in the data/settings

[buildings.House$Berlin_Alhalter_bahnhof]

Title Berlin_Alhalter_bahnhof

MeshLive 3dobj/environment/buildings/ger/Berlin/Alhalter_bahnhof/mono.sim

Preset House_Brick_Frail

But you'll be able to see it only in the Map Editor. If I remember well what we had figured, these amazing statics seem to have been done for an earlier version of the game. They need to be reworked with 3DS Max to be fully functionnal in ToW1 and ToW2 (very time-consuming I suppose)

I have been working a lot to create new buildings for ToW2, and in the process I have had a look at the buildings of the mod pack. It is my understanding that ToW1 buildings (and mod pack buildings) are not working as is in ToW2 (even adding the correct entry for them in the static.ini)

For me, mono.sim buildings are working in ToW1, but not the hier.him kind of buildings (they simply don't appear in the editor, without an error message).

Mono.sim kind of building are "kind of" working in ToW2, except both intact and destroyed versions of the building are showing at the same time, and collisions are no longer recognized. This is because destroyed versions of the buildings have a different name in ToW1 and ToW2 (in ToW2, the game engine looking at the names of the destroyed LOD of the buildings, simply think that they're just an other piece of the intact building). Changing the names of the destroyed LODs to match the names in ToW2 should do the trick, and allow the buildings to work properly.

This is not surprising, as collisions are working in a different way from ToW1 in ToW2:

the names of the collision objects are different, and this is probably the reason why the game engine of ToW2 can't recognize them as collision objects.

Where in ToW1, collision objects for building where just a bunch of simple shapes englobing the whole building, in ToW2, different collision objects are needed to make a distinction between walls, floors and roofs.

ToW1 buildings (and the mod pack buildings) will be working in ToW2 if they are provided a new set of collision objects in the ToW2 style to replace the old types of collisions.

It should be possible to use all theses building, so the mod pack is not "useless"; but it involves quite a lot of work to make them working.

As for why I'm not able to make the hier.him type of building working in ToW1, I still have no idea. I had some problems with buildings requiring textures like fund.tga, fund1.tga and fund2.tga that I couldn't find amongst the files extracted from the SFS files. Theses where textures used for the fundations of buildings. Some of the buildings started to appear in the editor once I've created new "fund" textures to substitute to the ones I could not find.

So, the mod pack is not really useless, but to make it usable is a lot more work than it seems at the first look.

I would have been glad if this mod pack was released as a fully working add-on (even if it means we would have to pay for it).

Still, it is really usefull for any one willing to do modding for ToW, as it provides a lot of good examples.

• 3 weeks later...

at last, I finally have understood how to make the new massivmod pack showing and fully working in the game! I will upload a ready to use mod soon! Some of them could be used in Normandy and of course Alsace maps.

grab_236.jpg

grab_237.jpg

grab_238.jpg

grab_239.jpg

I have still some problems with some lod textures of some Berlin buildings.