Losing interest in TOW2 - need help with SFSExtractor

Prattboy9394

I've stopped playing this game due to my inability to mod certain things. The unreal accuracy of certain arms negate the use of critical military types, like recon units and forces me to focus on getting tanks instead of infantry. I know modding is possible but I am spending WAY too much time trying to figure this out. I think 1C's stance that they don't need to change anything since you can mod whatever you like is hurting the sales potential of this game.

Me, being someone that paid good money for this game when I could have gotten something made with more polish and a bigger budget, deserve better. That being said, I'm going to give this another try. So the sfsextractorv2.0 I've downloaded from allaircraftarcade does not allow me to open up the Data.sfs archive. It only contained 3 files in the zip. In the TOW1 repository, someone uploaded sfsextractorv0.3 but I cannot download it. Oudy says that the extractor should have 5 files so my guess v0.3 is the one i need. I have googled sfsextractorv0.3 to death and cannot find it anywhere.

So, could someone in the know tell me where to find sfsextractorv0.3. Thanks and sorry for the rant. I'm just tired of checking this forum looking for answers.

My sentiments exactly. For days i have been trying to open the data .SFS extension files but to no avail. The ranges and accuracies of units and weapons are in dire need of modding. I find it ridiculous that one 1C offering (ToW2) has very long ranges and another 1C offering (MoW) has pathetically short ranges. Sure there might be two different development teams involved but still there should be some communication and shared ideaology between the two teams. I have learned that the .SFS files can be opened with Linux but i am unwilling to install it just to mod this game. I too was frustrated with the SFS Extractor.

Prattboy

The SFSExtractor0.3 has been uploaded to the battlefront repository for TOW1. I wrote a modding guide a couple of years ago when we were first figuring out how to mod the game. Much has been discovered since then but it is still a good primer for learning how to mod. It was at CMods but I'll upload it to the TOW1 repository. If you have other questions please ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Gordonvembu

The SFSExtractor is really the only tool we have to decompress the SFS files. However you need the filelist.txt to tell it what files to look for. Once you open the Extractor tell it where the TOW mission editor location is and where the download location will be. Don't extract to your TOW game location. Once you extract the files you won't have to use the Extractor again. From that point you modify the extracted files and put them into the corresponding directory in your Game location. Normally the game uses the files from the SFS files but if you have a modified file in your game directory the program will use the modified one instead.

Oudy

Thanks Oudy. This is the type of support that Battlefront/1C should be giving us if they care about their game selling.

I was able to download SFSv0.3 from the TOW1 repo. I tried to upload the same file to TOW2 repo but it hasn't been updated. Not sure if Batterfront has to approve first. I will try my first modding this weekend. Having success would mean not regretting this purchase. Failure would mean I end up play a whole lot more of DOW2 and CoH:ToV (games with a very healthy Relic/support group)!

I am consistently getting this error when using the SFS extractor. I am running Vista64 and having in 'XP compat mode' and 'run as admin'. Being a tech, this frustrates me to no end. Help please.

Error details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.FormatException: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.

at System.Text.StringBuilder.AppendFormat(IFormatProvider provider, String format, Object[] args)

at System.String.Format(IFormatProvider provider, String format, Object[] args)

at SFSExtractor.ExtractManager.Mount()

at SFSExtractor.ExtractManager.Init()

at SFSExtractor.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

SFSExtractor

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Battlefront/Theatre%20of%20War%202/MissionEditor/SFSExtractor.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

log4net

Assembly Version: 1.2.10.0

Win32 Version: 1.2.10.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Battlefront/Theatre%20of%20War%202/MissionEditor/log4net.DLL

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

rfi_ttbl

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

post-20143-14186762111_thumb.jpg

Hi,

problem is occuring when program try to mount a sfs file see line (SFSExtractor.ExtractManager.Mount()). Check log file in logs dir is there any info, also are you sure you have SFSExtractor in MissionEditor directory.

Also i see that you have vista64, which may be problematic, if i remember correctly missioneditor doesnt work on vista64, so i'm guessing that mine app would not either.

br.

Dr.Jones

Thank you Dr.JOnes. This is the best most helpful response I have gotten on this forum! I guess TOW2 is FOOBAR to me now without being able to modify the stats. Is everyone running 32bit in Russia?

I hope 1C gets with the program and fix the missioneditor so it works with 64bit. Battlefront, since you have my $45, please forward this to your developer to address on the next patch. Thanks.

Hi,

i don't have Vista 64bit, but if i had i could see whats the problem with converter or why missioneditor is not working on Vista64.

Because MissionEditor and converter are done in dot.net, so this language is almost 100% independant from hardware, it compiles runtime not precompiled!

EDIT: I have an Idea, i can instruct app to be 32bit and it should work, because dot.net runtime compiles to 64bit version, but TOW is 32bit and its inconsistent when comunicating, remember integer on 32bit OS is 32bit, but on 64bit OS is 64bit so there is exception happening when 64bit application is calling 32bit application.

br.

Dr.Jones

Wwow, you're the only lifeline for me right now, in terms of putting TOW2 back on the play list. I mean DOW2 with the 1.3 patch has such a vastly improved AI. My ass is grass on elite...but I digress.

I ran SFS extractor on XP compatibility mode but no good. My appreciation for your hardwork is boundless.

• 4 weeks later...

Prattboy9394,

i have sen't you new version of SFSExtractor which is compatible with Vista64bit system. I have tested it and its working. I was right about the idea i had why it was not working, but i have sent you wrong files the last time, that's why you failed to etract.

br.

Dr.Jones

• 7 months later...