East Asia Scenario Feedback

Hi, I just finished playing the East Asia scenario, and I really enjoyed most of it. However, there are some odd AI actions (and non-actions) and other things.

1) At the end of the game, I, as the Allies, held all four of the cities listed to win a major victory; ie: Mudken, Chungking, Dehli, Irkutsk. However I was told I had only achieved a Stalemate.

2) Late in the game, a decision box came up with no writing in it! I said yes, but have no idea what I said yes too! The Atomic bomb box came up a few turns after that.

3) Burma - lots of issues here. The only unit that originally invaded Burma was the Thai unit. I had pulled the Burma Corps out of Rangoon (BIG mistake) so it captured Rangoon, and the entire country as a result.

4) I was worried because the Brits only had one or two units as things developed. I needn't have, as there were NO Japanese in Burma, only the Thai unit in Rangoon. I invaded Burma too late, and the AI sent ONE Japanese corps and ONE air unit. I killed both and was moving on Rangoon when the next strange thing happened.

5) Thailand surrendered! I had no units there at all, and there were several Japanese units there, but they surrendered, and the AI made no effort to occupy Bangkok even through it was wide open for several turns till I could get someone there to capture it.

I'm sure that's more than enough for now. I think I'll play this as the Japanese next and see how that goes.

Thanks for the fun!

Louie,

Thanks for the feedback.

That Thailand surrender was scripted. After a certain date and Rangoon in Allied hands, Thailand will get out of the war. But, I’ll check the script and make sure it is working properly.

Sorry about the Japanese not being more aggressive in Burma – I can improve that.

That mysterious, blank decision event is funny – I can fix that also.

I don’t like it that the victory conditions are not working (I am struggle with victory scripts). I’ll put some effort into that one also.

I have a few other changes to make, and your feedback will help!

Give me a couple of weeks and I’ll come out with a new version.

Robert

Thanks! I'm playing it as the Japanese now, but it's very early.

In just over a week I'm actually going to China for two weeks, I'll be visiting some of the sites where Mao his forces were. I'll let you know if I find anything of interest!

Hi Louie,

Thank you for the feedback. I am considering lowering the Japanese MPP levels. When you finish your game drop me a note and let me know what you think.

If you are in Shanghai, the Sihang Warehouse might interest you. When I was doing some research on the 1937 battle there I came across an intense fight that took place there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Sihang_Warehouse

Also, of what little I know about China I think the most impressive sites would be the Great Wall and Three Gorges Dam. And, I’d want to see Tiananmen Square – we here so much about it on the news, I’d like to actually see it.

Robert

It's a great mod no questions asked, but something I think you could improve on would be the US being stronger in 44' and 45' in particular. You also could give the US some form of a garrison unit so that the Japanese player can't just capture her by sending one little division down there. Great job overall though Mr. Carver!!!

One note of interest to anyone playing as the Japanese in this scenario. I bought some division and was sending them into Manchuria to replace the corps there for use in China. I made a mistake and for ONE turn one of the must garrison cities was empty. Every turn thereafter I got the note that Stalin knew Japan had weak garrisons there. The USSR entered the war against Japan in 1939!

Needless to say, I'm going to have to restart the game! Don't make that mistake - I sure hope I don't!

I won't be down near Shanghi, but will see T Square and at least one section of the great wall, along with the caves Mao lived in during most of the war, etc.!

Definitely some land units, adding a few ships (cruisers, DD's, subs), and maybe one not full strength fighter should do the trick. What you could also do is add a few scripts starting in January 45' with US units arriving in the Pacific, your choice, either way I'm thrilled to see that you're taking an interest in bettering this mod. Good Luck :)

I was surprised to see how limited the US MPP's were. I know you don't want us building units etc. that would skew the game. I'm wondering if you could just forbid the US from building all but a very few units, but give them enough MPPs so that they could reinforce and/or rebuild their units easily, as was the case historically.

Well AZGungHo, you could go to edit unit build data in the editor (edit countries), and that I think this is what you’re referring to. From there add some oil and coal resources along with an appropriate industrial modifier and you will get this effect. The only big problem with this idea is the AI or player, will for the most part be unable to use MPPS up so they will just accumulate to ridiculous amounts, maybe even 9,999 MPPS.

Hey Scottsman,

Yes, I've seen that happen, but it doesn't seem right that the United States of America wouldn't have enough resources to rebuild one little air unit does it?

On another front, my second game as the Japanese is moving forward nicely. However, the garrison rule continues to baffle me. I replace a corp in Manchuria with a anti-aircraft unit. I got the Stalin Discovers Japan Has Light Garrison statement. But just for one turn, then it stopped. Now, it's late 1939, and I've replaced another Japanese corps with a Manchurian division I built, and the Garrison message started up again! I didn't leave the city empty either time! Hmmmmmm...

I'll keep playing this and let you know how it progresses. So far it's waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the stock scenario and I'm enjoying it!

Hi Louie,

The units that must garrison the Manchurian cities are country specific. Manchouli, Tsitsihar, Harbin, Hsinking, Kiamusze and Yenki must be garrisoned by Japanese units. And, Mukden must be garrisoned by a Manchukuo unit.

There are added locations that must be garrisoned after 1943.

The activation_2.txt file has the details if you are curious.

There is a pop-up that lists the cities the Japanese have to garrison.

Another way the Soviets move toward war with Japan is if Japan has more then three units in or adjacent to Manchouli and/or Kiamusze. See the activation_2.txt file.

Robert

Ah - I didn't know that a manchukuo unit had to be in Mukden, or that the list was added too in 43 - but then again I haven't gotten to 43 as the Japanese player either. That explains why I started getting those messages!

Thanks! Great scenario and I'm loving it!

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished my first game as the Japanese, in version 1.00, and won a strategic victory. Now I'm playing as the Japanese in the new update, I'll let you know how this one goes. Oh, I'm playing at the easiest level, and will increase from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carverrt,

Just finished the new version as the Japanese and won a strategic victory. That was at the basic setting, so now I'll ramp it up a bit. One very odd thing happened (or didn't happen!), the US never showed up at Iwo or Okinawa. No Navy, no nothing!

That was doubly strange since I had been thinking that if Japan had really conquered India, I'll bet the US would have been forced to aid the Brits in taking it back, and it would have probably changed the course of the war.

Was this planned in the scenario or...?