Problem with Turn data transfer in Network game

Basically my friend and I find the game crashes when he completes his turn and the data transfer starts to me. When I tried being Axis (I.e. i get first turn) the data transfer worked and i successfully completed my turn. He then did his turn and it crashed when he tried to finish it.

I noticed that I can't join a game that he starts either, only he can join one that I start.

No offence intended by this, but both of us have run into countless errors with the game that have seriously tried our patience. If the actual gameplay wasn't so good I don't think we could be bothered with it! Still, I imagine the problem is easily solved but we don't know how. Please someone help!

Hi Guderian,

1) Which game is this for, i.e. Blitzkrieg, WaW, PDE etc?

2) Which version number are you playing, i.e. v1.01 etc?

3) Also, can you tell me what kind of error you are receiving as it could be a network error in general and not necessarily an issue with the game.

4) Which campaign are you playing and is it well into the game or are you having problems right from the very first turn?

5) Do you have a saved game file you could send so that I could take a look?

Send to support@furysoftware.com

Thanks,

Hubert

Can you also

Hi Guderian,

1) Which game is this for, i.e. Blitzkrieg, WaW, PDE etc?

2) Which version number are you playing, i.e. v1.01 etc?

3) Also, can you tell me what kind of error you are receiving as it could be a network error in general and not necessarily an issue with the game.

4) Which campaign are you playing and is it well into the game or are you having problems right from the very first turn?

5) Do you have a saved game file you could send so that I could take a look?

Send to support@furysoftware.com

Thanks,

Hubert

Can you also

Sorry I probably should have stated all of that. I'll send it in to fury support as well:

1. It's for WaW

2. v 1.06

3. There isn't any error message as such. It is simply that when my friend's turn ends, one of our two games crashes and I never recieve his turn. The timer icon would be spinning around forever and then the screen would go grey and it says that the program has stopped working, and then gives the two options of either closing the program or waiting for it to respond. We also found it often crashed in the same way if you went in between the game and windows, especially if something in-game was loading at the time. It was the same in windowed view mode. It felt very fragile, like we didn't want to do anything incase it crashed because it seemed to happen so often.

4. We were just playing Fall Weiss and as I said, it is any time he tries to finish his turn. It happens the very first time he tries this. I can complete my turn as axis but he can't complete his as allies, or if he is axis he can't complete his first turn either.

5. I think I can send you my turn but I'm assuming you would need my friend james' turn more than mine as the problem occurs at the end of his turn. Of course the problem could be more to do with me recieving the file as opposed to him sending it, I don't know how it works. I'll send the turn into fury support as it's too big to attach to this message.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the files and I've run a few tests on my end and I can't seem to repeat this error... runs smoothly and as expected over a series of several turns.

Since you mention that there is no error message I am doubtful that the game is actually crashing. Perhaps you are just noticing the delay in data transfer as the data files for saved games can feel quite long and slow if one of you is on a slower connection like dialup etc. If this is so it could possibly feel like the application has froze when in fact it is simply trying to complete the data transfer.

Could this be the case? Any chance you could try multiplayer with another player to try and narrow this down? Also, perhaps a test with another player where both players are on a faster connection to see if it makes any difference?

Hubert

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the files and I've run a few tests on my end and I can't seem to repeat this error... runs smoothly and as expected over a series of several turns.

Since you mention that there is no error message I am doubtful that the game is actually crashing. Perhaps you are just noticing the delay in data transfer as the data files for saved games can feel quite long and slow if one of you is on a slower connection like dialup etc. If this is so it could possibly feel like the application has froze when in fact it is simply trying to complete the data transfer.

Could this be the case? Any chance you could try multiplayer with another player to try and narrow this down? Also, perhaps a test with another player where both players are on a faster connection to see if it makes any difference?

Hubert

Thanks for the help Hubert, but it seems that the problem has resolved itself. It still happens from time to time but I think you're right - the problem was just mainly to do with the connection we had. The first night we tried to get it working, it repeatedly crashed though and simply refused to work. Mainly to do with dodgy bandwidth I think, thanks for your help anyway, sorry if it was a bit needless in the end.