CM: Normandy Synopsis & Posts

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be alone in this -- and I may incur the wrath of others for saying this -- but I wouldn't mind if CM:N didn't come out till, say, January 2011. ("Gebt Sperrfeuer, Männer!") In the meantime, the NATO module will certainly tide me over. Heck, there are still scenarios I haven't played and campaigns I haven't (quite) finished! And then there are the scenarios of my own that I plan to complete and release, so as to give something back to the third-party community, from whose output I've derived so much enjoyment.

And contrary to certain individuals' snide allegations that playing any modern-warfare game turns you into a shooteristic spazzstronaut who just wants to make "1 minute war dramas about Johnny Jarhead killing Jimmy Jihad" and renders you incapable of appreciating WW2 and its myriad aspects, I am very much looking forward to CM:N. =)

And contrary to certain individuals' snide allegations that playing any modern-warfare game turns you into a shooteristic spazzstronaut who just wants to make "1 minute war dramas about Johnny Jarhead killing Jimmy Jihad" and renders you incapable of appreciating WW2 and its myriad aspects,

Hey...I resemble that remark!

I can see a lots more time set aside for messing with CMSF when NATO comes along. I wasn't all that interested in modern (though I knew I'd try the game regardless) before CMSF...but it's added yet another genre to my wargaming interests. CMSF2 has got me really excited.

I am very much looking forward to CM:N. =)

Me too! Then I can make my 1 minute war dramas starring Gary G.I & Klaus Kraut!

Mord.

So, this is it... say goodbye to:

the agonizing analysis

the brazen blowhards

the craptastic comments

the dibilitating discussions

the erroneous explicatives

the fantastic fortifications

the gregarious grognards

the hilarious hijinx

the idiotic intelligensia

the jaundiced jokers

the knowledgable know-it-alls

the lip-smacking liquor

ok, someone else's turn to keep it going... :D

I may be alone in this -- and I may incur the wrath of others for saying this -- but I wouldn't mind if CM:N didn't come out till, say, January 2011. ("Gebt Sperrfeuer, Männer!") In the meantime, the NATO module will certainly tide me over. Heck, there are still scenarios I haven't played and campaigns I haven't (quite) finished!

There is going to be a lot of playable content shipping with the NATO module so it will certainly keep those of us who enjoy Modern Era content until WW2 arrives. I think folks will want to do some work creating missions/campaigns for the new NATO forces as well so it would be nice to have a bit of space to relax and enjoy the new stuff. However, I doubt it will take THAT long to get WW2 out.

And contrary to certain individuals' snide allegations that playing any modern-warfare game turns you into a shooteristic spazzstronaut

Amen to that. It's their attitude that rubs me up the wrong way, and not their opinions. They just can't help demonstrating that they are oh-so-superior to us because we enjoy playing this game. And contrary to what they say, they can come here and post negative remarks about CMSF without fear of getting banned. They just can't stand it when people here disagree with their opinions. That's what riles them.

I think the CMSF experience shows us that the new Title/Module approach gives the community an enormous amount of material to play with. No doubt BULGE will come along before folks have had a decent amount of time to explore the NORMANDY content to the full. Me, personally, I'm looking forward to the Commonwealth module for Normandy and after that, CMSF2 in a Temperate climate.

It's their attitude that rubs me up the wrong way, and not their opinions. They just can't help demonstrating that they are oh-so-superior to us because we enjoy playing this game. And contrary to what they say, they can come here and post negative remarks about CMSF without fear of getting banned. They just can't stand it when people here disagree with their opinions. That's what riles them.

I suppose some people are dead-set on winning, whether it's in a game (being victorious) or in a forum (being right/correct). I, for one, participate in a forum to share knowledge (though it's usually a matter of receiving knowledge in my case, since there are many others who know so much more than me) and to encourage/thank/provide feedback to those who make mods and scenarios. I don't participate in a forum to present myself as someone who knows more about all things military than anyone else in the forum. For such individuals, nothing you say is ever accurate enough or even correct; and they'll be ruthless in making you out to be a keyboard-mashing refresh monkey who doesn't know his M4 from his M16 (or, more relevantly, his M1914 from his M1919). It's not enough for them to politely but simply say "thanks, but no thanks" in regard to CM:SF and then move on or just go back to playing the CMx1 games (as they've no doubt been doing all along anyway); they have to paint it as an abomination and those who enjoy playing it as "fanbois" who have been pitifully duped by the conniving claims of a certain BFC employee. As I wrote a couple months ago, to me it seems like this:

When CM:BO came out, they felt like they had found the Holy Grail of computer tactical wargaming. When CM:BB came out, they felt like they had arrived in Valhalla. When CM:AK came out, they felt like they had achieved nirvana, and they dreamed of what the next CM[x1] game would be. When CM:SF came out (and in a sorry state), they felt like they had been cruelly betrayed, and then they swore eternal enmity with BFC and all who would not side with them.

Besides, if they're so smart and know more about WW2 than everyone else on the BFC forums put together and know more about computer game design than everyone else, they could just form their own game company and make a game "vastly better than CM:SF"! (not a direct quote)

But at the end of the day, the only thing that really irks me about them is how they snidely assert that because I play and enjoy CM:SF, I must be a twitchy, snot-nosed, FPS-obsessed punk and must thus be incapable of appreciating WW2 and its idiosyncrasies, let alone successfully playing a real wargame. Because, of course, it's ultimately all about winning. Why else would they rail against the non-functionality of QBs and the supposed sucky-ness of Red forces in CM:SF and have those two things among the bases of their anathematistic rejection of the game?

Hey...I resemble that remark!

=)

So, this is it... say goodbye to:

the agonizing analysis

the brazen blowhards

the craptastic comments

the dibilitating discussions

the erroneous explicatives

the fantastic fortifications

the gregarious grognards

the hilarious hijinx

the idiotic intelligensia

the jaundiced jokers

the knowledgable know-it-alls

the lip-smacking liquor

Wait... say goodbye to all those things? You mean those things aren't just going to be all the more at work in the CMx2:WW2 (CM:N) forum? =P

Wait... say goodbye to all those things? You mean those things aren't just going to be all the more at work in the CMx2:WW2 (CM:N) forum? =P

Yeah I know... wishful thinking, right? :o

Looking forward to pixeltruppen und sturmgeschutzen und... machinen gewher zwei und fiersiche und... ;)

Im a bit confused, is it still planned to release in the order Afghanistan, Nato, Normandy(I know that Afg is not build by BF)? The Afghanistan forum is pretty much dead, Moon posted over a month ago that they would soon publish a new dedicated website for Normandy which still isnt running. Just curious to know.

There is going to be a lot of playable content shipping with the NATO module so it will certainly keep those of us who enjoy Modern Era content until WW2 arrives. I think folks will want to do some work creating missions/campaigns for the new NATO forces as well so it would be nice to have a bit of space to relax and enjoy the new stuff.

Yup. I think I'll keep making CM:SF content for a while after NATO's release (and possibly after Normandy's release). I've got one campaign that will be released soon, and I'm getting set to start work on yet another one, but I won't start on that until after NATO's been released. :)

Oh! what campaign is that FMB? :D I love campaigns and you are one of my favorite scenario makers!

Thanks for your support! :)

It's a Marine campaign that I'm co-designing with Bulgaroktonos, who doesn't really post that much here but is a cool guy in real life. It'll probably be my last Marine campaign for a little bit; seeing as nearly all of my campaigns require the Marines module it's time for something different! :D

More details will be available shortly, but it's not a mini-campaign, it's a full 10-mission campaign with some pretty varied scenarios.

"Trenches, unfortunately, are out of the question. They are too deep and too complicated to even consider making bloody hacks to get them to work in 3D without a 3D representation. Plus, on top of that they would look like crap. Based on feedback over many years from dedicated CMx1 players, and a sense of what the wider audience wants, looks do matter. But as I said, the looks are coming for free with the 3D game engine so this isn't about sacrificing spottable trenches for visual reasons, it's about the impracticality of having significant 3D objects represented in 2D."

I'm no programmer and god help us all if I have to do C++ but I have a question regarding implementation...

What if you did make 3D trenches, but "filled" in or over the trenches with a 2D representation of the ground and that 2D ground representation is treated like a unit? When the trenches are spotted, the "unit" could either be programmed to become transparent or be removed, (since trenches can't move, they shouldn't disappear once LOS is broken)

Just a thought from someone that doesn't know what he's talking about, but hoping that something he said may have sparked an idea in someone that actually know's what he's talking about...

thanks for listening...

I believe they found a way to get around the issue of no 3D trenches and Fog of War. Can't remember where I read it, but . . . I think there WILL be 3D trenches that do work with Fog of war (spotted, unspotted).

Anybody?

Cheers,

Gpig

To quote Steve from this thread:

As you can see from the two pics of German stuff, CM: Normandy offers prepared, reinforced positions for heavy weapons and even vehicles. The graphics are placeholders at the moment, but you get the idea I think. These elements are purchasable and can be placed by the player during the Setup Phase.

On top of that, the player can now purchase and place a wide array of defensive works including barbed wire, bunkers, foxholes, and even trenches. That's right, trenches! All of these elements follow the rules of Fog of War, including trenches. Yup!

Long time members of this Forum will recall some very long and heated discussions about trenches and what we can, and can't, do from a technical standpoint. While people's passionate calls for FoW trenches didn't magically erase the technical challenges, they did cause us to adopt a new method of representing these elements.

IIRC a few people already the suggested of having the 'fill in' (or cap) on trenches be spottable as a possible workaround (although I suspect you could still find trenches by the dubius means of looking under the landscape; you'd still need to find a way of not drawing the basic terrain with the trench in). Anyway, the claim is they have found a way to do fog-of-war fortifications.