CM: Normandy Synopsis & Posts

The minutia took a LOT longer than we expected. The CMx2 environment does not lend itself to shortcuts as well as CMx1 did (which was, in effect, a collection of short cuts). And then there is the fact we are working on several games at one time, which we've never done before. Many firsts for us ;)

As a bone... testers are playing real scenarios with 90% of the TO&E that will ship with the initial release, all of which has been finalized for some time now. That doesn't mean we have everything in that we need to get in, but it does mean that basically we have a fully functional WW2 environment. That's what took us all the extra time so it's a good sign that we've moved on from it.

Steve

outstanding - does this mean, ALL youve got left to do is put in the other 10% of the TOE in? :)

And any idea on a forum eta?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great. Been waiting for a while and will wait till the end of the world (12/12/12 in case anyone missed it).

One aspect I'm just a tad worried about - as a PBEM player - is the loading time of scenarios and the weight in terms of MBs of email files.

My PC is not the latest hi-tech and it takes about 2/2.30 mins for every CMSF turn to load. Plus I'm uploading and downloading 8/9 MBs files every time - pretty slow-going with my connection :-(

Not a game breaker in itself but it certainly makes PBEM cumbersome (for me at least).

Is the system going to be the same for CM:N? (sorry if this has been asked before, haven't found it in Winecape's great synopsis :o)

Is the system going to be the same for CM:N? (sorry if this has been asked before, haven't found it in Winecape's great synopsis :o)

CMSF -> engine CMx2

CM:N -> engine CMx2

So i think the answer is yes! (except for some performance improvement in working code).

Frankly, I think the system PBEM is efficient with a medium computer and a connection with 3 mega.

I play files of 20 megs, with a computer of 2006 without major delays.

The minutia...

...testers are playing real scenarios with 90% of the TO&E...which has been finalized for some time now...we have a fully functional WW2 environment.

I hope the name is some kind of epiphanic revelation when you get to it, after all this time. Or just run with CM: Normandy and get a forum opened for us to froth in :)

Textual micro-bones:

The TacAI evasion logic seems to handle hedgerow fighting pretty well. Often enough you find a position, which you intended to overrun, empty, only to be greeted with bullets from the next hedgerow. "Emergent behavior" is what they call it, I think. "Band of Brothers" scenes ensue when the enemy is finally caught on the run!

In pure infantry matchups, one quickly learns to fear the LMG 42; the 'tracers' approach almost side-by-side due to the high rate-of-fire. And the Germans have lots of them ...

Disclaimer: your actual game experience may vary.

Best regards,

Thomm

Textual micro-bones:

The TacAI evasion logic seems to handle hedgerow fighting pretty well. Often enough you find a position, which you intended to overrun, empty, only to be greeted with bullets from the next hedgerow. "Emergent behavior" is what they call it, I think. "Band of Brothers" scenes ensue when the enemy is finally caught on the run!

In pure infantry matchups, one quickly learns to fear the LMG 42; the 'tracers' approach almost side-by-side due to the high rate-of-fire. And the Germans have lots of them ...

Disclaimer: your actual game experience may vary.

Best regards,

Thomm

Has the supression effect of MGs increased compared to CMSF? Currently infantry is a bit too brave crossing big distances under fire and the HMGs are using aimed fire instead of grazing.

Has the supression effect of MGs increased compared to CMSF? Currently infantry is a bit too brave crossing big distances under fire and the HMGs are using aimed fire instead of grazing.

Sorry, but that is too specific a question for me to answer.

Best regards,

Thomm

As a bone... testers are playing real scenarios with 90% of the TO&E that will ship with the initial release, all of which has been finalized for some time now. That doesn't mean we have everything in that we need to get in, but it does mean that basically we have a fully functional WW2 environment. That's what took us all the extra time so it's a good sign that we've moved on from it.

Steve

Any ETA on the forum? About a month ago either you or Moon said it was in the works and due shortly.

We're getting close to "polish only" mode for Normandy. A few minor things to finish up, or minor parts of major stuff, and lots of play testing to optimize graphics, find oddball bugs, tweak variables, finish graphics, etc. We have no ETA, but if we had to ship this thing right now (which we don't ;) people would find the game quite playable and enjoyable. That's an important milestone for any game because the majority of development time is spent getting to that point.

Steve

Yeah, I was going to ask about that thread, me being a somewhat new poster in this forum and all... but I think I will reconsider.

Basically, the Peng Thread consists of what one would find at the bottom of a grog barrel. Namely, it is full of scallywags, scoundrels, picaroons, knaves, thumb-suckers and bed-wetting chickenhawks. To put it in plain english - a whole nest of nefarious vermin.

By all means...don't go there!