CM: Normandy Synopsis & Posts

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanzfeld,

If it was there, I saw it. Remembering it after being totally overstimulated, both there and in a three day gaming and military history extravaganza, now, that's trickier. Amazingly, I do remember the plane, because a neighbor got one in a DEA forfeiture sale. Here it is. What's your connection to this plane?

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A20000795000

Regards,

John Kettler

It is my one claim to fame. I have about 600 hours in that plane. It used to hang in the DC branch near the X-1 and X-15 until they moved it. I guess it was one of the oldest King Airs they could find in a flyable condition. Funny thing is it had a much better paint job when I flew it. Nice red, white and blue stripes. Not sure who painted it brown.

unless there is something wrong with my settings or display driver but i see a map "playable area" floating above the entire terrain only obvious if you zoom out, you can make it disappear if you zoom in enough. This is a major issue to me, i have never played a game with something like this and don't understand why is it there? i will be checking out the demo before buying for sure.

Jarmo,

Great to see you again! Shall I start uncrating Nebelwerfer rounds?

Good times. :)

Urgh, it's been nearly 10 years since the Invitational. Time flies.

Big surprise here. The warhead section (bottom of rocket) has rather thick walls, not the thin ones I expected on a weapon supposedly primarily based on blast. Nasty!

To prevent it from overheating and exploding midair, maybe? Just a guess.

Mega tiles don't exist in the game yet; they are a planned feature of the new quick battle generator in a future release of the engine. Hopefully in the Normandy game within the next 3-4 months.

They will be much smaller than a full map: one tile might be a block of houses, another might be a field with wall around, another might be a bridge over a section of river, yet another might be a small lake (water isn't in CMSF either but will be in Normandy). The map generator then assembles a map by sticking lots of tiles together, hopefully making sure roads, rivers etc. line up sensibly in some way.

I don't mind squarish-tiles with specific 3D terrain types on them, as long s the program places them nicely into patterns that make sense. That's the basic terrain system in Peter Pigs Poor Bloody Infantry (mini) rules. Is it possible perhaps for us to place said tiles to generate a battle rather than have them "intelligently randomly" placed?

Yeah that is me.

I flew that BE-65-90 all over the Carribean and the northeast US. I didnt even know it was in the D.C. Smithsonian until one day, a friend and I were visiting (I used to live in Reston, VA near Dulles and the Hazy center) and I look up and see it hanging from the roof (in DC)! A guard overheard my friend and I talking about it and called the curator of the Smithsonian. I believe her name was Cohen (I have seen her on the History channel a few times). She came down and interviewed me for about half an hour. She had very little info on the aircraft and wanted to know everything I knew about it. I felt like a million bucks! Chuck Yeagers X-1, the mighty X-15 and MY King Air all hanging together.

Anyway it hardly gets noticed now at the Hazy Center next to the SST and Shuttle but I know its there. LOL.

hehe...

The Beechcraft King Air is the world's most popular turboprop aircraft. Beech Aircraft developed the King Air in 1964 as a compromise between piston-engine and jet aircraft; it could fly farther and higher than piston-engine aircraft yet land on the short runways of most small airports. The design remains the primary business aircraft for small to mid-size companies and part of the flight inventories of larger corporations.

Funny, the Smithsonian makes no mention of its popularity with drug runners for exactly the same reasons :D

Steve

unless there is something wrong with my settings or display driver but i see a map "playable area" floating above the entire terrain only obvious if you zoom out, you can make it disappear if you zoom in enough. This is a major issue to me, i have never played a game with something like this and don't understand why is it there? i will be checking out the demo before buying for sure.

I dont undersatnd what you try to say.

Do you mean that the "playable" Map and the background with the hills ?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Mmm. . . I read the start of the thread

"All we're saying at this point is 2009, sooner is better for everybody than later. We're saying sometime in 2009, that's all at the moment. Progress is going very well"

If we deleted 09 and inserted 10 do you think it would be accurate?

"All we're saying at this point is 2009, sooner is better for everybody than later. We're saying sometime in 2009, that's all at the moment. Progress is going very well"

Being that there are only ~14 weeks left in 2010 (!!!), it might be more accurate to delete the 09 and insert 11. :)

Hope it comes sooner, but I'd rather wait until they are satisfied it is ready. I've been waiting a LONG time for this release already, and I'm OK to wait as long as it takes to get it right.

The more that it takes the better... it means that it will be closer to the high quality reached with CMBB & CMAK with their final patchs.

The minutia took a LOT longer than we expected. The CMx2 environment does not lend itself to shortcuts as well as CMx1 did (which was, in effect, a collection of short cuts). And then there is the fact we are working on several games at one time, which we've never done before. Many firsts for us ;)

As a bone... testers are playing real scenarios with 90% of the TO&E that will ship with the initial release, all of which has been finalized for some time now. That doesn't mean we have everything in that we need to get in, but it does mean that basically we have a fully functional WW2 environment. That's what took us all the extra time so it's a good sign that we've moved on from it.

Steve