CM: Normandy Synopsis & Posts

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update WineCape :D

however, that I have already hinted that we're considering a Module containing oddball stuff. We are still considering it :D

And don't forget that just because the Module might say "Arnhem" doesn't mean that you can't do anything other than that. You can do Schledt, for example, or the early battles of the Lorraine Campaign. There's a ton of different things to cover from June through September that the game will support.

Steve

Me rikey very much what I hear! You da man Steve... we oddballs appreciate the focus on oddball stuff...

You are making this very hard for me to look past the 1:1 modeling and other new peculiarities about the game that take some time getting used to... but it is growing on me.. slow but sure.

Cheers!

Leto

Every game has its peculiarities. Certainly CMx1 has its fair share too, but people got used to them or didn't care about them in the first place. I know a LOT of people had to get over the Moe, Larry, and Curley representation of infantry. Others thought it was such a huge leap forward from 2D wargaming that they didn't mind. And still others hate CM and all of its 3Dness and stuck with Close Combat or Steel Panthers. If nothing else, the completely opposite midnsets in wargaming keep things interesting :D

Steve

So, WHEN can we splash our moolah on it?

As for release we've decided we're not going to rush things to get it out by Christmas [2009] as originally planned. We would rather enjoy the Holidays. Our goal, however, is to have it mostly done before taking some time off at the end of the year.

Awesome! :) take your time please!! We don't want to see another CMSF-type release from BF!

• 3 months later...

A Mac version. OMFG. That is amazing news. I don't care when, wow.

Finally I can get BF products back on my computer. Still have my original CMBO CD is a revered place on my shelf. I'm nearly weeping with joy, here.

Made my year with that tidbit.

PS. I'm old. I weep easily, OK? Hell, I can't even watch Sleepless in Seattle with my wife without needing a tissue.

DaveyJJ,

Welcome aboard!

Like you, I love hearing anything CM is coming out in OS X, but it seems to take forever, despite the games all having been developed on the Mac. Really miss the days of simultaneous releases for Mac and PC! We still have no OS X version of CMSF, for example. If we did, I couldn't run it, for my dual OS snowball iMac lacks the oomph, especially with a meager 32MB video chip. Need a new rig that'll also run the spate of new BFC games that are (grr!) PC only. Meanwhile, my current rig needs to hold together.

Winecape,

Terrific post full of marvelous info! No idea there were going to be so many CM:N releases! How's our favorite FIFA ref doing these days? Is it everything you'd hoped for? Been Mo Capped yet for the FIFA video game?

Steve,

If you're going to give us the Battle of the Scheldt, could we please have Terrapins, despite their (disastrous) inspiration of the BTR-60 drive train!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrapin_%28amphibious_vehicle%29

"More important, like the Medium Mark A Whippet tank of WWI, the Terrapin had drive to all eight wheels powered by two separate engines (both Ford V8), mounted side-by-side with each motor driving the wheels on one side, controlled by lever steering. This arrangement did not work on the Whippet, and failed on the Terrapin as well. If one engine broke down the Terrapin tended to swing around violently."

and LVT-4s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Vehicle_Tracked

both of which figured prominently in the Battle of the Scheldt, as seen in the Terrapin Wiki pic. I have a really terrific book covering this battle and related matters, Marching to the Sound of Gunfire, by Delaforce and it has a slew of combat sketches covering both vehicles.

Regards,

John Kettler

DaveyJJ,

Welcome aboard!

Like you, I love hearing anything CM is coming out in OS X, but it seems to take forever, despite the games all having been developed on the Mac. Really miss the days of simultaneous releases for Mac and PC! We still have no OS X version of CMSF, for example. If we did, I couldn't run it, for my dual OS snowball iMac lacks the oomph, especially with a meager 32MB video chip. Need a new rig that'll also run the spate of new BFC games that are (grr!) PC only. Meanwhile, my current rig needs to hold together.

John Kettler

Thanks John, it's good to be back.

I was a much-more-active member of the original boards and once they changed them and then I wasn't playing CMBO etc anymore, I simply wandered away from that great community.

I still have emails from Steve G from many many years back when I was developing a small chat program called Combat Ranger, customized for the CM series, to better allow CM players to hook up for games via TCP/IP connections. Seeing the series return to the Mac, after all these years, regardless of even a delay between PC and OSX versions, does, indeed, make me very happy.

I'm already telling my kids about "daddy's favourite game."

i am hoping there will be the same lovely amount of vehicle's avaliable in the new ww2 CM as there were in the first lot, as this was a very good plus point...

was a bit gutted at the vehicles that were left out in cm:sf and its module's, prime example being the ural truck... i understand the time behind it n all with programing, but it wouldv'e been sweet.

say, ? is there any plan to do a module on the eastern front? i hope so.

i am hoping there will be the same lovely amount of vehicle's avaliable in the new ww2 CM as there were in the first lot...

Not certain. Perhaps not, but when you add up all the modules the main types should all be present, just not the variants with no substantial differences that would effect game play.

say, ? is there any plan to do a module on the eastern front? i hope so.

Not just a module but almost certainly a whole family. But not for a couple of years at least.

Michael

what's mega tile? is it the huge patch over the field where we play on?

It's part of the planned QB/random map system. Since generating random maps purely from scratch is a major job which is unlikely to get done anytime, the plan seems to be to use mega tiles, which are small sections of map (say, 64m x 64m for example) which can be tiled together to create an overall map. You make lots of mega tiles (presumably users will be able to create their own) and then the random map generator makes a map by randomly stuffing as many of them as are needed together to make a map of the required size.

Obviously there are lots of details missing from that brief description, but you get the idea...

Jarmo,

Great to see you again! Shall I start uncrating Nebelwerfer rounds? Got to see one in May at the Udvar-Hazy branch of the Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum--along with all kind of other wonderful sights. Images expand.

15 cm rocket

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19890604000

15 cm rocket cutaway

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19890597000

Big surprise here. The warhead section (bottom of rocket) has rather thick walls, not the thin ones I expected on a weapon supposedly primarily based on blast. Nasty!

Regards,

John Kettler

It's part of the planned QB/random map system. Since generating random maps purely from scratch is a major job which is unlikely to get done anytime, the plan seems to be to use mega tiles, which are small sections of map (say, 64m x 64m for example) which can be tiled together to create an overall map. You make lots of mega tiles (presumably users will be able to create their own) and then the random map generator makes a map by randomly stuffing as many of them as are needed together to make a map of the required size.

Obviously there are lots of details missing from that brief description, but you get the idea...

excuse my ignorant i'm completely new to CMSF.

is mega tile that big patch on the map in CMSF:Marines when you play a mission? i hope not!! or at least bleed edges to blend with existing terrain.

excuse my ignorant i'm completely new to CMSF.

is mega tile that big patch on the map in CMSF:Marines when you play a mission? i hope not!! or at least bleed edges to blend with existing terrain.

Mega tiles don't exist in the game yet; they are a planned feature of the new quick battle generator in a future release of the engine. Hopefully in the Normandy game within the next 3-4 months.

They will be much smaller than a full map: one tile might be a block of houses, another might be a field with wall around, another might be a bridge over a section of river, yet another might be a small lake (water isn't in CMSF either but will be in Normandy). The map generator then assembles a map by sticking lots of tiles together, hopefully making sure roads, rivers etc. line up sensibly in some way.

Lanzfeld,

If it was there, I saw it. Remembering it after being totally overstimulated, both there and in a three day gaming and military history extravaganza, now, that's trickier. Amazingly, I do remember the plane, because a neighbor got one in a DEA forfeiture sale. Here it is. What's your connection to this plane?

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A20000795000

Regards,

John Kettler

Mega tiles don't exist in the game yet; they are a planned feature of the new quick battle generator in a future release of the engine. Hopefully in the Normandy game within the next 3-4 months.

They will be much smaller than a full map: one tile might be a block of houses, another might be a field with wall around, another might be a bridge over a section of river, yet another might be a small lake (water isn't in CMSF either but will be in Normandy). The map generator then assembles a map by sticking lots of tiles together, hopefully making sure roads, rivers etc. line up sensibly in some way.

understood, thank you. I just hope we won't have same effect of that big patch on CMSF map, it kills immersion!