How to attack like a German - sample forces

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents, (Jon S, J Salt and Jason )

I would be delighted if you would give me permission to publish an edited version of this thread on my website The Byte Battler among other "documents of interest".

I really do think these examples should be preserved for future generations... or at least available for a little while longer than it takes to fall from page one of the forum.

-Derfel

Shameless self bump, because I put a fair bit of effort into it,
Thanks, JonS!

We've played a couple smaller (2-3K points) of "Not so quick" QBs using the info in this thread. (Auto-generate map in editor, add units in editor, add a few more "suprise" units.)

The NSQBs have been fun. A nice compromise between scenarios and the sometimes bizzare and a-historic QBs.

In the one I played I controlled the Germans. With help of a lot of smoke (all of my extra points were spent on 2 81mm mortar FOs) I won while trying to closely follow the tactics Jason outlined.

I lost more tanks than I would have liked to, but I've never had the chance to chase several infantry platoons around with a few PzIV before, which was enjoyable. ;)

After I broke through the initial line I used the HT-based groups to keep the rest of the line busy and "tank-rushed" (At times I felt like I was playing TA) the rear area. The terrain was kind, and I ended up with several tanks in a position to tear up the reaction forces as they arrived.

My speed and the smoke seemed to allow me to avoid most of the American artillery. The infantry and the HTs (esp. the HT containing force) took some significant arty losses, but not the tanks.

My opponent grumbled about the American forces being Green, but we agreed our scenario was balanced. I was lucky more often than not, and next time we'll have some of the tracked reserves arrive off-road. My opponent wasn't familiar with the sort of defense he was fighting, too - I'm sure next time I'll have a much tougher time. (Note to self - significantly change tactics.)

The other NSQB was an American attack vrs. a German defense. The Germans won this one too. The first line got eaten, but the second line held. Close thing, though. And the attacking American casualities with the loss were much lighter than my casualites as the victoriously attacking Germans. Easy to imagine the American's grinding away at the German lines, day after day.

• 6 months later...

*bump*

A blast from the blast as they say, mentioned in the recent first-timer AAR thread below.

Where does JasonC pick this stuff up AND have the time to type it up for us? :confused: :D Thanks!

The comments Ari dug up from the interviews of Depuy are good too. That's a lot of arty! And then grogish talk about CAS vs. battlefield interdiction and "blitzkrieg". It's a vertiable feast!

Okay, JonS, just noticed this and am impressed.

John's comments on Carriers are well taken, in particular. But then again, how often would you ATTACK with them? They were more often used to evacuate casualties, prisoners, and to bring up rations, ammo and the rum ration...

As for snipers operating in pairs, this is true, but only one was of course a sniper; his buddy was a spotter (or "scout" perhaps? it being the Scout and Sniper Platoon).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

To go back a bit.

The Ju87s didnt do any thing after May '40, because that was the last time the Luftwaffe had air superiority- the Battle of Britain caused stukas to be pulled out from front lines wholesale as any enemy air resistance caused horrific losses.

While FACs dont exist, Panzer Lehr and the 21st both suffered losses moving to the attack. These were enough to take the edge off when they did reach the front- though this is Operational rather than Tactical air power, and so out side the scope of CMBO.

The Ardennes offensive was planned for a period of bad weather- so the allies could not fly. The break in the weather is one of the reasons sited for the offensives failure.

Speaking of the Ardennes there is compelling arguements that SHEAF knew it was coming, and where. The German attack fell on the weakest part of the line. They forced a corridor which was lined by much higher quality defenders in natural defensive positions. (Brits north,Yanks south) The germans were chanelled until the trap sprung behind them!

The Brit creeping barrage method is accurate- and the move it slowly method is 'historical'. A freind of mine recounts how in the late seventies he walked as part of a line behind a creeping mortar barrage while on exercise. He is full of admiration as to how the Sgt co-ordinating the 'tubes' kept it moving forward at the same pace as the troops, with them just out of the blast radius. They basically would have hit any enemy just as soon as the shells stopped falling. I suppose with heavy enough armour, and light enough shells you cound get REALY close to the blast radius, and shoot at they cower. What a pity CM doesnt let troops hide behind vehicles.

Originally posted by Last Hussar:

To go back a bit.

The Ju87s didnt do any thing after May '40, because that was the last time the Luftwaffe had air superiority- the Battle of Britain caused stukas to be pulled out from front lines wholesale as any enemy air resistance caused horrific losses.

Ahem - this is of course only true for the west, not for all 'front lines wholesale', and even there it should be June 1940. Ju 87 Stukas were effective until the last days of the war in the east, and certainly used a lot in the Mediterranean.

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Last Hussar:

To go back a bit.

Ahem - this is of course only true for the west, not for all 'front lines wholesale', and even there it should be June 1940. Ju 87 Stukas were effective until the last days of the war in the east, and certainly used a lot in the Mediterranean. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Stukas were still being used in the west in Normandy, or at least, the war diarist of my regiment thought they were. They mention stuka attacks a couple of times while fighting south of Caen.

Those could be Ju-88, unless the war diarist specified the specific model.

Originally posted by Shosties4th:

*BUMP* This thread is so good I think it should be considered for a "sticky". smile.gif And I'd like to second Bruceov's request for a uebergrog post on "How to Attack like a Russian" in the bigger point battles. Anyone?

I know of just the thing. Check out the old thread I bumped "How to attack like a Soviet Rifle Corps in 1944" by Grisha. Enjoy!

SM

Since Grisha and I are not split personalities, I need to point out that I started that particular thread. I would also like to point out that unlike Jason's thread, it is not at all aimed at how to play CM with the Soviets. It is a historical discussion that may or may not have some interesting points relating to CM, but certainly won't tell you anything about which units to choose in CM battles, or how to employ them.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The question I have on attacking like a german - late in the war, it feels at least by what I have read that the Germans were still able to do significant penetrations against the russians whereas against the allies, the german attacks seemed to peter out (exception Ardennes) after a few miles or so. Is this a somewhat valid conclusion and if so, why.

The second thing is I've read several accounts of the Germans successfully infilitrating Allied lines in company to battlion levels but then the Allies seem to stomp them out (western allies), Were the germans equally unsuccessful in infiltration of russian lines and likewise when Russians inflitrated German lines, how did the germans stomp those out?

Conan