"Striped" terrain--how to fix, please help!

Hello All,

It's been a while since I've started up CMSF. I have a friend who will soon be playing it and I want to remember some key points to make his life easier.

I started up the game, and there are "stripes" on my terrain. Usually, they become more visible the further away one gets from them.

I have a Pentium 4, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon x1950 AGP graphics card. I can't recall ever having seen them before, and they are HIGHLY annoying. Looks like my battlefield is wearing prison striped uniforms!

I have approx. 20 mods in use.

Here's a pic of what I'm seeing:

30wnjh3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice sent my way!

Yours,

Kyle

April 25, 2009

First off, take all your mods off to help isolate the problem. If the problem remains, you know positively it isn't the mods. If the problem disappears, put the mods back in one by one until your prison stripes return. Then you know the last mod is somehow interacting with something to produce your problem.

If it isn't the mods, then play with your graphic settings in the game. Turn all detail down to the minimum and see if your problem remains. If the problem disappears then you know that something about the graphical settings in game are the issue and then it is trial and error to see which setting causes the issue.

If the problem isn't related to the game settings, then it most likely is now the graphical settings of the OS. Check to make sure your have the most recent drivers for your video card and the most recent version of DirectX. Most of the time, problems will originate with the drivers and directx.

Finally, if you have current drivers and you still have issues, check the display settings, paying attention to shading, shadow and antialiasing settings.

Good luck.

It sounds to me like your processor might be getting overloaded and starting to selectively drop stuff to render in order to keep the foreground rendered. I've never seen it react quite like that though. For me I get 'broken kaliedoscope' shapes poking out at me when the CPU can't take any more.

I see that's a campaign game. Too bad, you can't bring it into the editor and inspect which tile types might be funky. Does this happen reguarly with other scenarios too? If its only a single scenario problem it might ba a (very slightly) corrupt file.

BlackMoira,

Thanks for the (frustrating & time consuming) advice. Of course, if it is related to a mod file, then I might get extremely and crazily lucky and remove the offending bugger on the first go, but those who know me well know that I have no luck whatsoever.

MikeyD,

I hope that it's one slightly corrupt file, and not the other alternatives. The 4GB of RAM that I installed is just a few months old, and I never saw anything like it before when I had just 1GB. Sometime later this week I'll try another scenario and see how it looks. Hopefully it'll be free of the stripes.

If not, do you suggest that I uninstall/reinstall the game and the Marines module?

Thanks all for your help!

Last night I uninstalled and reinstalled CMSF and Marines.

I had the same problems as before, only WORSE.

Yes, "WORSE." The stripes were more numerous AND they were brighter.

I'm at the point of nearly removing all of the mods. I've been chopping away at them, although for the life of me, I cannot understand how they could be causing the malice I see on screen, as they never did that before.

If after the removal, the stripes are still there, I'm going to update my graphics driver. I wish that I could remember what the old driver was (I deleted my unintended collection of drivers a long time ago). I sure don't have the time to start guessing/installing. If that doesn't work then I'll lower my in-game settings, although for me that may make the game so frustrating to watch that I'll avoid playing it altogether.

Which will suck, but it'll be better than staring at a game that used to look a whole lot better than it does now.

First things first, though.

theFightingSeaBee,

I'm sorry to hear that you had the same issues, but I am VERY happy that you were able to find a solution. As I stated above, I have an ATI Radeon x1950 AGP card. Can you look up what v. of driver that you're using now and when you downloaded it? If your driver doesn't work, then I can at least try a different driver that was released around its time.

What a pain in the butt this is. It doesn't help that all DX9c-only cards are now being relegated to ATI's "Legacy" status, meaning that they'll hardly ever release an upgrade unless it's badly needed.

Here's my latest screenshot with everything set to practically "0". Bottomed out, it almost looks like I'm playing Afrika Korps!

;-D

n4bosz.png

The only thing I'm nervous about is that the older driver will drop the performance I attained with a newer driver for STALKER. What a pain it'll be to have to seesaw between the two!

Anyway, it'd be greatly appreciated if I could get your driver info, theFightingSeeBee.

Thanks,

Kyle

May 3, 2009

It might help to know that the above screenshot was taken using ATI's latest "Legacy" driver. So, one can't get any newer than what's featured above.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, I get this as well with my ATI Radeon Sapphire X1950 Pro, but only to a minor degree.

Not at my home computer at the moment, but will be later today and can post driver details then.

I only notice it in distant terrain, and assumed it was some moire-pattern glitch specific to the CM:SF engine. I was prepared to just live with it, since it doesn't seem to significantly affect gameplay, but if you gents come up with a solution, I'll give it a whirl.

• 1 month later...