Some bugs to report

Tartari

I found an issue in Multiplayer:

If you select 8 players before you host a game, you won't be able to pick other maps (except for that one 8-player map for "Domination" mode) and even the 8-player map will be greyed out when a different game mode - i.e. king of the hill, attack/defend, - is being selected.

Examples: Let's say the host creates a game for 3 players, but only 1 player would join, then he can't just lock the empty 3rd slot and play a 2 player map, since only the 4-player maps and/or the 8 player map will be selectable (depending on game mode). The host would have to ask the other player to leave, so that he could recreate the game with a 2 player limit.

In other multiplayer games/interfaces, you can just close slots that aren't needed, with the host still having access to ALL maps: The host just sets the number of players allowed to play once, and people then don't have to leave in order to choose smaller maps (meant for less than 8 or 6 players), simply because locked slots would be taken into account by the hosting modules of those games: the max player limit will be a) overwritten according to the host's selections and B) won't influence visibility/availability of maps.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No impassable terrain involved, I chose the sm_001 map (map from the 2nd training mission), and the Kasserine Pass map for another Battle Gen mission.

Ok, you say several directions...., what's the time frame for the AI sending out units? Does the AI usually start right away? Does it need certain units (i.e. halftrack, daimler or similar vehicles)?

AI prefers armored cars for recon, it should start right away. Tanks and small infantry groups should be also used to find you. Note that if you created 'Player defends' mission but gave AI, say, AT guns or similar stationary units only, it won't be able to attack you.

Other maps are greyed out because they designed for smaller player numbers or different play modes, there is only one map for 8 players and this map doesn't allow attack-defend play mode.

I don't think that you understood what I was trying to say. :)

Example: If I host a 8 player game, but only 3 players would join, I could not just LOCK the 5 empty slots and choose a 4 player map, BECAUSE the 4 player maps are ALL greyed out. I would have to ask the players to leave, then I would have to host a game for 4 players. Now let's imagine 2 of these 3 people would be pissed off (so they won't show up), and that only the last remaining player would join, I'd have to ask him to leave for the second time, BECAUSE I can't select 2 player maps, if the limit had been set to 4 players.

Do you get it now? :)

С наилучшими пожеланиями

You can lock the unneeded player slots and play with three people on 8 player map, for example. Unlike some other games, maps for 2 players aren't smaller than map for 8 players. Maps for more players have more spawn points and possible force pools, but that's all, so you can play 8 player map with just 2 players no problem. Don't forget that you can assign AI to 'unmanned' player slots too.

Steinfich, your need for help wasn't disregarded. If you get no errors and empty game list, then the system is working but there are no hosting players. I dont know about rest of the world, but in Russia many people play ToW (and other games) on LAN, so the internet game list may be empty.

You can lock the unneeded player slots and play with three people on 8 player map, for example. Unlike some other games, maps for 2 players aren't smaller than map for 8 players. Maps for more players have more spawn points and possible force pools, but that's all, so you can play 8 player map with just 2 players no problem. Don't forget that you can assign AI to 'unmanned' player slots too.

Maybe it's a language problem:

You cannot view/select OTHER maps when you created a 8 player server, if you decide to play smaller maps (4 player map, 2 player maps) with the players that actually JOINED (in my examples host + 3 people, or host + 1 player). YOU HAVE to leave the server and HOST again, each time - to create a server with the corresponding max amount of player slots.

This is annoying. Getting it now?

My request was to make it possible that a host can select ALL maps, and maybe you could just ADD a check routine that checks if the right conditions (for a given map) are met (minmum/maximum number of players?, slots locked?) before the OK/START button can be pushed. Don't make people leave and re-host a game, each time they change their minds (to play a different map).

Thank you!