Nvidia OpenGL Driver - ERROR 14?

I'm running SLI 8800GTX(M) with unofficial drivers (from laptopvideo2go DOX185.68), and have spent the weekend troubleshooting CMSF and this error.

I installed the MS hotfix mentioned in an old thread here, but i'm not convinced that it did alot. What seemed to help was selecting single GPU mode in the nvidia control panel, and setting AA to SLI mode ie only one card used for display but both for calculations.

Running in SLI performance mode, i would have horrible problems where the screen would switch to black and then back to the game, everytime i selected or deselected a unit. I could usually provoke the Opengl 14 error by switching units very fast.

If you are not running in SLI mode, then i can only suggest the MS hotfix.

link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186

Does anyone know what the official support is for SLI mode and CMSF?

because as i mentioned, for me it seems partially broken.

I should just add that the problems mentioned happened with both the official drivers for me (179.48 as its mobile version) as well as all the unofficial newer ones.

Running on vista.

Cheers

Took a bit too long in posting this. Admittedly my suggestion is most likely for someone who can't get CMSF to run at all initially. If CMSF is running for you and then generating the OpenGL error, then my suggestion may offer little help.

There's a possibility that your video driver isn't quite installed the way it should be (not necessarily your fault).

Download the OpenGL Extensions Viewer program (make sure to select the Windows version) and run it to determine the level of OpenGL support that you have with your video driver. If you see only OpenGL 1.1 support, then the video driver isn't installed properly.

If you only have OpenGL 1.1 support you'll need to completely uninstall your video driver. Typically you can do this with the Add/Remove Programs control panel and/or use a utility like Driver Sweeper. After doing this I highly suggest that you reboot your computer rather than attempt to install the video driver again. During the reboot you may be prompted for the video driver again, but just cancel those install requests.

Once you've rebooted back into Windows, turn off any anti-virus utilities and also close as many other programs and utilities that may be running in the background (IM clients, etc.). The idea is to reduce the amount of things that could possibly interfere and anti-virus utilities would be the most likely culprits. Now try to install the current video driver and reboot once that process is finished (you'll be prompted to do so anyway). Once back in try the OpenGL Extension Viewer again and see if it tells you a more appropriate level of OpenGL support.

If you still get the "OpenGL error 14", then you may need to adjust some of the settings within the Nvidia Control Panel's 'Manage 3D settings'. I'm not sure which ones are unique to DirectX and which ones may be applicable to OpenGL.

I run the game in sli with two 7900 gt, dual core, drivers : 182.8

Resolution 1680 x 1050 x 60.

First, you need to create a sli profile for the game.

You should download nhancer 2.4.5 at this adress first :

http://www.nhancer.com/

Then create a profile. There is a good manual on the site to explain all the settings and how to create a profile.

These are my settings :

Enhancements :

AA multisampling 4 x

Enhance ingame aa setting : on

gamma correction : on

super tranparency AA : on

anisotropic filtering : 16x

vsync : application

Optimizations :

Texture filtering : high quality

Compatibility

conformant texture clamp : off

opengl control : multithreading on

opengl multidisplay mode : optimized for single display mode

cpu multisupport : multicore

Sli mode :

Alternate frame rendering

no compatibility flags

opengl flags : from 00 to 15 : on

My game settings : everything maximum with vsync on.

For opengl games, you don't have to activate the profile.

This works the best for me, but you may have to experiment. This is why nhancer is very useful.

I had sli problems with il2 1946 and i found a very good solution on a forum dedicated to this game. I took il2 profile as a start for CMSF.

I hope that this may help you to find a solution.

Thank you for taking the time for your reply but I must admit I don't understand a word. I find it hard to beleive that I upgrade to what is a fairly standard card (nVIDIA 9800 GTX) in order to run other games and now CMSF which always ran fine on my slower card, has this problem. It may just be me but I think that if I was in the computer game business I would be sure that these problems didn't exist. Very discouraging for a guy who is not computer savy but loves playing these types of games..

Thanks for responding Cpt. What I think is a main stream war game company with a product that has these problems with what is a main stream video card is odd enough. But, to have no responce, nothing, nada, " we don't give a damn", from the developers (two guys I think) is discouraging enough for me to just write off the whole CM series which I have purchased each issue and every module. There are enough games in the pipeline that seem to be overtaking Steve and Charles anyway. Sorry. All I wanted was just a little advice.......then maybe there is no answer.....

Uhm, like it says on the door:

This is a community "self-help" forum for technical issues for CMSF. If you require developer support, please head over to the www.battlefront.com/helpdesk

As for the troubles you are having, I wouldn't necessarily go and blame BFC for it. Aside from it not having been identified what the problem is, I'm going to guess that it's real tricky to develop for a platform where the hardware is so mindbogglingly varied, the drivers change frequently and where aforementioned drivers often don't comply with the industry standards or even the standards set by very same manufacturer.

I understand your frustration, but I fear a more rational approach will serve you better.

Okay, so lets do some fact checking here so we can try and properly troubleshoot and diagnose this issue which seems to be affecting at least a few people.

Are you guys all getting the SAME OpenGL error?

Are you guys all running 9800GT cards (which themselves are based on the 88xx core family).

Are you guys all running the 182.50 drivers?

What OS's are you running?

With regards to the crash itself, when approximately does it occur? Immediately when a game loads up a battle? As soon as you load the game itself? Does it occur in both realtime and turn based mode?

The more info we can get, we the better we can try and figure out whats going on here.

Madmatt

- Are you guys all getting the SAME OpenGL error?

Error 14, as G B Scurlock

- Are you guys all running 9800GT cards (which themselves are based on the 88xx core family).

9800 GT

- Are you guys all running the 182.50 drivers?

I had the problem with an old version (179.XX) and now I have 182.50, same issue

- What OS's are you running?

Vista home 64 bit

- With regards to the crash itself, when approximately does it occur? Immediately when a game loads up a battle? As soon as you load the game itself? Does it occur in both realtime and turn based mode?

The game happens after some playing, never before 10 minutes, today after 1 hour. I can't say for sure if it's related to something I'm doing in the game, but apparently it happens selecting a new unit.

I tried to configure the driver in single GPU mode, but the problem was identical. I use the standard driver settings.

Tomorrow I will try to set a custom configuration for CMSF with all settings on "Application controlled"

Best regards and thank you for the help.

Thanks Cpt for that. You are a big help. I agree with everything you said for every question. I do have Vista 64. I will say the crashes occur randomly...at no particular time.. it seems to me it is always when I am am just clicking around trying to view the battle field. I have played as much as 10 turns and saved and closed without a crash. Then somtimes it happens in the first turn or two. Weird.

I read that whole thread. I didn't see where anyone came up with a definative answer. Doesn't look good. I have seen when Steve and Charles work on something they always work it out. I'm afraid that this is not a priority for them right now. What I want to know is this. Is anyone out there using Vista 32 bit with nVidia 9800 GTX or GT card with 182.50 driver playing with no problems? If so, do you have any suggestions at all. THANKS.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you an update on this.

First off, it IS a priority for us, but unfortunately this problem seems to be more widespread than just CMSF.

See below for other developers and applications which this crash is occuring:

http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2861&pid=8621&st=0entry8621

http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2739

http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=1042

Nvidia is aware of the problem, and we continue to collect information and see if we can work something out on our end as well, but the problem does appear, at least at present, to have been introduced in their recent drivers. Hopefully that means that a fix is not far off.

Any of you above may want to try and "roll-back" to an earlier build of Forceware drivers and see if that makes a difference. You can usually find a full list of available drivers (including beta drivers) at www.guru3d.com

Madmatt