Infantry behaviour

chanss

In the demo, I am dissapointed with the infantry behaviour. It really isnt possible to make them take cover is it? Neithet by their AI or by command. They are happy just standing around gettin slaughterd.

Simply just not good enough for me to buy the game.

The vehicle and gun AI seems work ok from what I seen though.

Self preservation by infantry must be modeled if tow2 is to be considered a tactical game like close combat and CMSF.

If i wanted to play a RTS game i would buy Men of war.

1c had over 4 years to develop this behavior. If this is the case, i rather wait for the CM:Normandy release sometime later this year.

Out of interest, has anyone tried neutralising the armour, i.e. destroying the German armour and AT guns and leaving the US armour in the rear, and then assaulting the village with infantry alone?

Would be interesting to know how the infantry behaves in this context.

On one play-through I lost all my armour and had to attack the village with infantry alone, and I was sruprised at the high casualties, especially when assaulting a single building containing only 1 or 2 enemy soldiers. Could be operator error, and I have had similar experiences in all the CM iterations too, but it was disappointing.

No screenshots, but I might try to replicate and post accordingly.

It does seem like an armour game thus far, and the behaviour of the enemy infantry in attack is suicide - advancing section by section over a ridgeline exposed to small arms and AFV fire. No attempt to use terrain. But they kept on coming...

R

The behaviour of infantry when assaulting always seems to be a problem for game makers, my experience with this aspect in CMAK was not good at all. Usually infantry there would go to ground under fire and wriggle around until they were all killed, no matter how much fire support and other aid they had.

There also seems to be a constant overestimation by game makers of the casualty rate inflicted on assaulting infantry, compared with what actually happened in the real WW2..

I hope this is not the case with ToW2, please say it isn't so :)

In the demo, I am dissapointed with the infantry behaviour. It really isnt possible to make them take cover is it? Neithet by their AI or by command. They are happy just standing around gettin slaughterd.

Simply just not good enough for me to buy the game.

The vehicle and gun AI seems work ok from what I seen though.

button: "manoeuvering modes" then "sneak" or "crouch" (p.22 of the online manual)

never attack in wide open ground specially if enemy use MG 42, or use smoke shells

I'll agree that the demo is very challenging, but I think it's premature to blame high casualties on supposed flaws in the game. I find that more of my forces survive and they accomplish more as I learn how to use maneuvering modes, "sneak" commands, covering smoke, use artillery to suppress enemy guns, etc. You can't just charge into a full-blown attack on the village -- you have to hide all your infantry in the houses and gardens of the deployment zone, and hide your tanks in and among the houses, too. Then you will be ready when the first german tank attack comes, and you will defeat it easily. The AI in this game is very good -- especially on "hard setting" -- because once you defeat an attack in one sector, the enemy finds other ways to counterattack or infliltrate around your flank. Take your time, use real tactics, and try sneaking a 3-man sniper/scout team ahead to locate the enemy before you try any attacks. I'm enjoying the challenge! But I agree that in this terrain, it's very tough to find good infantry cover. The sound effects in this game are the best I've ever heard, and the graphics are so immersive (especially in 1st person view) that it feels like being there.

A couple more thoughts after further play:

1.) The Maneuvering Modes are very important for keeping soldiers alive, and they work well. For example, create a unit grouping that has an infantry squad and a tank. Set the maneuvering mode to the one with the icon of the crouching figure ("advance in rushes"). Then give a move order to the unit group, and voila: The tank and infantry advance in coordination, using overwatch, and when the tank stops the infantry crouch and/or take cover behind the tank.

2.) My results in the demo scenario improve the more I play it and discover how to use the interface. But remember: This is Africa in 1943, and it's a hopeless attack by an outnumbered U.S. force against a dug-in enemy -- The US isn't supposed to win this one! So you're doing well if you can even get a toehold in the the town objective before the counterattacks force you out. It's critical to keep those US artillery pieces alive, so make sure there's some infantry and armor near them to fend off attacks in the flank/rear.

Sounds pretty good, do any defenders surrender or move to fallback positions when under intense attack? Because that was the usual behaviour in real life, not many would fight to the death.

NB I can't play the demo at the moment, puter is getting a suitable upgrade though.

button: "manoeuvering modes" then "sneak" or "crouch" (p.22 of the online manual)

Yes, that works fine.

I dont want anyone to get a bad impression of the game due to my lazyness to read the manual, I would like to have this thread removed if possible.

this was a good educational thread. i felt the same way about infantry behaviour, but after I read "how to" corrections i agreed with you. This game is for serious gamers. You have to think. After playing on the 360 for a while you become a little stupid. Thank god we have a few companies that still want to make good games for serious thinking idiots.