HEADS UP - Nvidia 182.08 almost there!

Some pretty good news guys, I don't know if this is old news but I have just tested the latest official Nvidia drivers with my new 260 GTX and CMBB/CMAK are now playable.

It's not perfect, and there is still no fog, and some transparancy issues but the framerates are now much better, and make it playable once again for those of you with the latest Nvidia cards. I've just tested it with the largest CMAK scenario I could find.

The latest ATI drivers still offer playable framerates on the latest ATI cards and fog but there is some odd colour saturation going on still.

Either way, it's good news on both fronts.

Yeah...sounds like one more reason not to "upgrade".

Nah, I have no regrets with upgrading whatsoever. Seems pretty stable to me. I've thrown several games, new and old, at my new Vista PC and have no problems at all. Except of course the CMx1 games, although CMSF runs great. I still got my old XP Pro PC for CMx1 duties anyway.

Ha, I forget why I'm suppose to hate Vista so much. Not that I'm gonna turn into a Vista defender now or anything. It may be a bloated resource hog, but I think the Vista hate is a bit overdone.

Anyways, I assume Phil has a Vista machine, otherwise this thread is pretty pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it. I actually only tested the 260 briefly, I decided to go back to my ATi card as my power supply wasn't able to cope with the extra consumption it obviously requires. That said, CMAK and CMBB were working perfectly well with Vista 32 and the latest Nvidia drivers. So I don't really understand how some work and some don't.

The GS is a cut down card am I right? Usually associated with mobile platforms. Is the 9800GTX a DX10 card?

Gotta watch the PSU requirements man. Your PC can be in a world of hurt running a card without the PSU juice to handle it. Yeah the GS versions are usually much weaker but also much cheaper. The laptop cards have a "Go" or "M" associated with them. All cards in the 9000 series are DX10.

Has anybody tried the new 182.50 drivers released on April 2nd?

I´m very happy because I´m running CMBB and CMAK in my Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bits without any problem! :)

I recently have built a PC by myself: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 2.83 Ghz., Asus P5Q-Deluxe motherboard, Corsair Dominator 4 Gb. DDR2 RAM and Western Digital Caviar Black HDD 640 Gb.

My graphic card is XFX GeForce GTX260 666M 896MB DDR3 DUAL DVI TV PCI-E BLACK EDITION, and I have instaled XFX´s last drivers from XFX webpage. Drivers are "Windows Vista64 WHQL International - WHQL driver for GeForce 200, 9, 8, 7 and 6 Series", version 182.50 (129.70 Mb).

I´ve played one complete game against A.I. in CMBB (+35 turns) and everything went perfect.

Now, I´m playing CMAK against A.I. as well, and everything is going fine, too! :)

One detail: before starting playing CM, I switch off Internet connection, firewall, and most of all the memory resident programs which are on in that moment.

(I hope this information can help somebody, and if you want to know any other detail about it don´t hesitate to ask ;)

Congratulations, your certainly in the minority with the Vista and Nvidias DX10 card combo. I got a very similar setup, 9800GTX+, Asus P5N-D, Q9950, Corsair 4G memory, but on Vista Premium 32-bit. Just tried the new 182.50 drivers but still no changes.

I'm guessing your Vista Ultimate version could be making the difference versus my Premium edition. Or maybe 64-bit versus 32-bit might be the difference.

But anyways, did you make any changes to the Nvidia control panel settings, if so what? I've tried all kinds of different settings for them, so I don't bother fiddling with them anymore.

I doubt having the internet connection on with a firewall makes any difference at all. So what other programs did you turn off to free up memory?

Congratulations, your certainly in the minority with the Vista and Nvidias DX10 card combo. I got a very similar setup, 9800GTX+, Asus P5N-D, Q9950, Corsair 4G memory, but on Vista Premium 32-bit. Just tried the new 182.50 drivers but still no changes.

I'm guessing your Vista Ultimate version could be making the difference versus my Premium edition. Or maybe 64-bit versus 32-bit might be the difference.

But anyways, did you make any changes to the Nvidia control panel settings, if so what? I've tried all kinds of different settings for them, so I don't bother fiddling with them anymore.

I doubt having the internet connection on with a firewall makes any difference at all. So what other programs did you turn off to free up memory?

The 260 could just have enough raw power to make the performance problems that remain with 2xAA unnoticeable.

Yeah I get ok performance as well, but the cascading graphics are terrible along with the black sky. I tried digging around for modified drivers, Guru3D has some, but none look to target the OpenGL/DX10 problems.

cascadinggraphics.jpg

I have this on my laptop as well. The only way I could get rid of it is by turning on AA, but then performance is horrible.

No, I didn´t make any changes at all. My screen is HDMI connected to my graphich card, at 1920x1080 pixels, 32 bits quality colour, (60 Hz.), PhysX is on, and about 3D configuration I didn´t touch anything at all. I would give you details of each element but everything is in Spanish language and I don´t know its English translation: anyway if you are interested I will send you a screen capture of these details.

I installed the game "Assassins Creed" (comes together with the graphic card) and during installation process DX10 was installed. I don´t like this game, but it shows like a movie! It´s spectacular! :)

Then, also I installed "Kuju Railroad Simulator", and "Take Command: 2nd Manassass" and everything is working fine. I only have troubles with "CMSF" because I´ve a Spanish version and when I updated it to last patch, it crashed! (anyway, I don´t mind because don´t like this game very much... :/

I switch off Internet connection, switch off firewall, switch off Windows Sidebar, switch off Winzip Quck Pick.

Doing so, I haven´t no troubles at all playing CMBB or CMAK at the moment... :) (if I´d had any, I will inform over here...).

Ok, well I'm much better off now. Apparently when I switched it to 2x awhile back I didn't change the anti-aliasing to "Override any application setting". Doing this made the difference and has now gotten rid of the cascading graphics problem. I can see the sky as well.

Overall, my performance is playable, I can zoom the camera around pretty fast. But when I have an infantry unit selected is when the performance gets choppy. When I have vehicles selected it's fine.

Stikkypixie, thanks for the reminder about the 2x anti-aliasing trick.

Ok, well I'm much better off now. Apparently when I switched it to 2x awhile back I didn't change the anti-aliasing to "Override any application setting". Doing this made the difference and has now gotten rid of the cascading graphics problem. I can see the sky as well.

Interesting. CMx1 definitely doesn't do it's own AA setting, so there should be nothing to override.

To me this indicates that (probably) the userland DX5 libraries that comes with the DX10 drivers try to be smart and set some defaults here that are less than productive.

One could speculate that the *.dlls loaded by CMx1 (supplied by the driver) might turn graphics settings to the max because a DX5 game cannot have any speed requirements, right? Yeah, right. If that is correct, then the video drivers as such would see the application set these things (they can't tell the actual application from it's *.dll files doing it).

• 3 weeks later...

Overall, my performance is playable, I can zoom the camera around pretty fast. But when I have an infantry unit selected is when the performance gets choppy. When I have vehicles selected it's fine.

Stikkypixie, thanks for the reminder about the 2x anti-aliasing trick.

Same here. It now works for me on 182.50 drivers, Vista32. Had to reduce to 1024x768 to get playable framerates, but I can at least play now.