To all the hero's who contributed to CMMMODS

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

The first phase of a "replacement CMMODs" is now available.

You can take a look here

The "first phase" is one where the site is accepting pre-existing CMMODs mods.

This is happening now, and upload is commencing. As soon as each mod is uploaded

it's available.

All the basic CMAK and CMBB mod data from CMMODs is loaded, so we can see what remains

to be uploaded.

CMBO and CMSF mod data, and also more details about all the mods (especially the "description" from the original author" - yay!) are on their way.

The next phase will be enabling uploading of new mods.

After that come feature's that you might want to suggest - seaching mods, arranging them, whatever else.

Most important point right now: this is early days, so if something looks like it might be broken, please let me know ASAP.

With respect to the "look" of the site, I just grabbed a basic framework that was easy, I'm totally open to making it look better if someone has concrete suggestions and can help with the CSS for it.

GaJ

Oh - everyone is encouraged, welcome, appreciated, if they can help with the uploading existing CMMODs mods.

A few enthusiastic volunteers have either their own collections from CMMODs, or the DVDs that are circulating, and are getting going with that. The more the better.

One note on this: if you can upload the preview picture as well as the mod itself, we will all thank you so much more. You _can_ upload just the mod zip, but the site is much more effective with the preview present. (Just compare the page listing CMBB mods for "pat" compared to "MikeyD". One has previews, the other doesn't....)

Thanks!

GaJ

PS: it is recorded who uploads each mod, separate from who the author is. As soon as I can, I will put up a page recognising the great efforts of the uploaders - listing who has uploaded how much.

Thanks - yes, it seems the community will be well looked after.

I have kept this in mind with my site, as well. The mods are stored in a commercial data repository (Amazon S3), so if I need to disappear or can't afford to support it, someone else can pick it up without the need for download/upload. Similarly, I plan to make the source code for the site available, both for people to help add features and also again in case I can't carry it on, then it's there. Downloads of the database backup will also be available.

(I did all this stuff for the WeBandOfBrothers club database, it works out well: I had to write that one because the previous implementor disappeared, and there was no way to pick up his site because none of it was available :S At least now it is.).

GaJ

When I try to upload one of my files I get the message

Hmm - the zip file you selected doesn't seem to match the original CMMODS name!

CMBB_MAPS_ROQC_V1.ZIP

This is the file I'm trying to upload: CMBB_MAPS_ROQC_V1.zip (paste from Explorer)

Does it check for size? I'm pretty sure the file is OK, but I may have to download them from CMMODS to be sure (if that is still possible).

It worked when I downloaded the file from CMMODs and then uploaded it.

The two files have the exact same number of bytes. They have to be identical. It could be the upper case extension. Perhaps your site is too restrictive when checking filenames?

Btw, thanks for this initiative. I expect none or very few persons are using ROQC these days, but at least it has a repository now and I can find it myself on the web in case I need it.

Rob O,

just so that you know. I'm still very much using your QC generator. Thanks for the effort and the amazing idea. I am now in the midst of a North Africa campaign with my blackshirts trying to stop the British onslaught! Great fun!

Perhaps one day, you'll think up a Normandy campaign? ;) (for CMETO or when CM Normandy comes out?)

Perhaps. I don't have CMSF - playing other games, and the period is not my main interest. But I might well buy any port of that engine to WW2 (it would in fact be quite difficult to resist).

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to get back to it myself in time. And perhaps update the spreadsheet with my upgraded knowledge of Excel and with some Office 2007 features.

Too many games, too little time.

Right now volunteers are slaving away reposting everything that was at CMMODs.

Please join in if you can - either click on the link that takes you to a particular game type, then choose an author who's mods aren't all uploaded, and upload some by getting them from CMMODS while you can... or, go through your existing collection and upload ones that you have that other people haven't done yet!

The search feature is handy for this - just paste the zip name in there, and it will tell you if that one's done or not.

The new CMMODS site is ready for new mods too, now - you go to the "Your Stuff" page and select the "Add New Mod" link.

You can link to your mods from here, like this:

SNOW_TRI-CAMO2_TIGER_I_LATE_DI.ZIP_thumb.JPG ... Dave Inglett's Tricamo Snow Tiger I, recently uploaded.

The only big thing I'm still working on is enabling uploads of mods bigger than 10Mb: that's work in progress. Oh - that and getting the CMBO and CMSF descriptions of the CMMODs mods uploaded.

GaJ

Will do that!

At the moment I believe I have almost all of the CMBO CMMOS files: that is because I decided to download all of them to configure anew the install I made under Bootcamp on my new Mac/Intel, if only I'd been able to figure out how to extract all the pictures from the Resourse forks of my carefully modded Mac BO in a batch mode, and preserving the original names/numbers... BTW, I even retrived all the old good ones from CMHQ (believe it was like a ghost operation!) for both BO and BB, but they are plain CMMOS, and not CMMOS4... It's still a new thing for me about those sets and all the clumsyness of Mod managers under windoz...

Will do that!

At the moment I believe I have almost all of the CMBO CMMOS files: that is because I decided to download all of them to configure anew the install I made under Bootcamp on my new Mac/Intel, if only I'd been able to figure out how to extract all the pictures from the Resourse forks of my carefully modded Mac BO in a batch mode, and preserving the original names/numbers...

Fantastic!

It's definitely best if you can upload a preview picture along with the mod, separately from inside the zip file. For the ones I've uploaded, there's been a preview inside the zip, and I've just pulled it out onto my desktop and uploaded it along with the zip. Then the catalog can show the preview, which is nice.

In some cases, it's not convenient to put up a preview, and people have not done so. That's OK. A preview can also be added later.

BTW, I even retrived all the old good ones from CMHQ (believe it was like a ghost operation!) for both BO and BB, but they are plain CMMOS, and not CMMOS4... It's still a new thing for me about those sets and all the clumsyness of Mod managers under windoz...

Whoa! Soap and water! (*) There's a windows mod manager that's the most elegant piece of software under the sun, I'm sure of it:

MCMMM.ZIP_thumb.JPG McMMM ... "Martin's Combat Mission Mod Manager".

Who is that Martin bloke anyhow? Someone should give him a medal ;)

GaJ

*: "Soap and Water" ... I realised this may be Australian slang. It is short for "Wash your mouth out with soap and water, how did you get those nasty dirty words in there" :)