English Demo first impressions

General_solomon

For example, in first German mission in ToW2 the only way to take village without your own infantry is to collapse every building with gun fire - tedious, time consuming and rarely possible (ammo). And just moving your tanks inside the village will result in AT grenade or bazooka round flying from nowhere:) Novice infantry may panic, though, and make your task far less challenging.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd better mention here...I saw my troops standing, then kneeling, standing, then kneeling, standing...etc...etc...etc...This was once they had reached their destination and may well have been when they were under fire...but they were bopping up and down like you wouldn't believe...I actually lol'ed when I saw it, it looked that funneh!

Infantry with smoke capability at section level - can somebody let me know if this is realistic or not.

Artillery/AT guns wasting ammo and revealing position by expending rounds at single infantrymen.

Scouting does not seem to hinder enemy spotting - lone infantryman at 500m crawling to side of peak of ridge still spotted and taken out

Ability of ordinary infantry to spot for on-board artillery. Surely this should be restricted to FO at company level, or at least by section/platoon officers. Radio is a must for directing arty, or not?

Enemy infantry AI sometimes suicidal with failure to use ground.

Ability of infantry sections to crew AT guns and AFVs. How possible was this in reality?

I'm afraid we have the 'fight to the last man' situation again - twice now I've had to hunt through the village to find the last remaining infantryman. There needs to be some force surrender values set to avoid this unrealistic situation. Battles are usually not won by killing every last enemy combatant.

As a matter of fact, as Arzok shows in his missions, a lot can be achieved through a thorough conception by mission builders. Playing his missions in his campaign and discussing with him led me to view AI and its limitation with new eyes. For instance, the usual habit of AI units to fight to the last man while real units would tend to withdraw once cut off to re-establish their lines unless ordered otherwise (and even so...) has always been the main snag to me. I now understand that the mission builder can provide for that, defining zones that, when controlled by the enemy will trigger a fall-back.

Of course all of this is wayyyyy more tedious to do than a mere positioning of troops.

Hi every one i played the mission for some times now and it was quite hard for me to bit them whene enemy got reinforcement all the time by tanks and artillery support and it is not easy to bombard the village when those AA:s are around sooo i decided to make some changes and looked in hte main game file and found a way to get more bombardment and more money to bring more troops in the battle and in this way i was unbrakeable and that was fun to play with more troops on the map... sorry for my bad english :) im leaven in sweden and just waiting for purchase antill then

Interested to know what happens with assaulting infantry when they come under fire in the open at, say, 50 meters or less from their objective. Do they press on, go to ground, run away? What about casualties and the 'kill rate' of the various weapons used against them?

Always found CMAK a bit unrealistic with this aspect of desert warfare, keeping in mind that in real desert warfare '41-'42 Allied infantry often lost their tank support at crucial times and usually had no choice but to cross at least some open ground under fire, often against MG's, in order to advance.

I guess the broad question concerns whether this is a 'tank with infantry attached' game or a more 'infantry supported by tanks etc' game.

I guess the broad question concerns whether this is a 'tank with infantry attached' game or a more 'infantry supported by tanks etc' game.

As the missions in the game I suppose to be set up by now, I think it is more the first than the second as long as You do not create Your own "infantry heavy missions" with little or almost no armor involved.

Infantry occupying buildings now however forces us to the infantry support role unless You want to flat all the buildings.

As warfare in the desert generally is based on fast armored mobility rather than slow infantry movement, the game reflects that rather well.

For the first time I found the Sdkfz 250 and the M2/M3 halftracks useful in the game, carrying infantry safely where I need them. Not only to use them as mobile MG carriers. (I miss the mounted machine gun on the M2 however.)

As long as both sides have significant armor available infantry plays a minor role tough.

Gunfreak

You mean nothing happens when you run the installer file? Try to clean up your temporary folders then (My Computer - right-click on your system disk, usually C:, and select Properties - click Disk Cleanup and check Temporary files and folders).

I've tried the demo several times, and i guess i just don't understand what i should be doing. Is there someone who can post some sort of walk through?

I can't even get my tanks close enough to the town before they are all destroyed.

read the manual to figure out what you need to do. the link is located at the top of this forum page.

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got the Demo running, and so far, I think it is a great improvement over ToW 1. Admittedly, I have only scratched the surface but I have NO complaints as of yet. I have a very high-end system, and the game looks wonderful on it with all the highest settings on, and runs smooth as silk. I love the theater too, and I think the graphics go a long way in helping to give that special seductive flavor of the WW2 Africa setting. Great work, and I can only hope the whole game will be like that! I also much prefer the UI and camera movement in this game as compared to CM:SF which I've been playing too. It looks more refined and is easier for me to use.

As for the various posts about the AI, range of weapons and such, I will have to play more before I comment on those. I can say that in my first run through the senario, I did not lose much Infantry, but then that could have something to do with the fact that I am an Infantry platoon sergeant in real life (with over 8 years as an Infantry sniper as well). Sometime one's background comes in handy;)

Definately going to order this game for sure. :)