English Demo first impressions

General_solomon

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was excited after trying the russian demo, but not so much now.

I'm not going into details, but I don't think I'm going to buy for now. I don't quite know why, I just found it very hard work to play, and there are more than a few ai annoyances.

I feel like I'm battling the UI, AI, and other stuff, rather than an enemy.

There's been a ton of good releases lately most of which I've bought and enjoyed, but so far, this doesn't cut it for me. I'll watch with interest and continue to enjoy CM:SF and ToW.

Well, I was excited after trying the russian demo, but not so much now.

I'm not going into details, but I don't think I'm going to buy for now. I don't quite know why, I just found it very hard work to play, and there are more than a few ai annoyances.

I feel like I'm battling the UI, AI, and other stuff, rather than an enemy.

There's been a ton of good releases lately most of which I've bought and enjoyed, but so far, this doesn't cut it for me. I'll watch with interest and continue to enjoy CM:SF and ToW.

This is why I like CM better. I am a turn based guy.

i like it so far (the demo). the new order screen will need a getting use to though, it seems a bit more cumbersome than tow1.

will miss the ability to tell ur tanks to hit top, mid, or track section!

also cant i fig out how to change the facing of the units and the retreat order gets the tanks change facing again as well, grrr.

love the buildings and the smoke, man!

more notes once i can buy it (when ever i will get my two1 key).

immer voran,

himmelstoss

OK, this game have some potential. Like it on first glimp.

First time i have also problems wih interface. But, suddenly find it.

For facing direction, press D, for changing stance press right button on stance-button and choose another, same way for the ammo.

BTW, read the keyboard setting and you will find it ;).

This is game for me. Pre-ordering now.

Love the sound of artillery.

Super dummy here. I played the 1st one and could rotate 360 degrees on battlefield. But sweet Moses cannot figure how now. How?

Going from memory: was it press middle mouse button/mouse wheel? Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

I've enjoyed the demo so far, the sounds coming from the 105mm howitzers is awesome. Just took getting used to the new UI vs. the original UI commands. Keep getting my bloody sniper killed though scouting targets for the artillery, lol.

will miss the ability to tell ur tanks to hit top, mid, or track section!

also cant i fig out how to change the facing of the units and the retreat order gets the tanks change facing again as well, grrr.

love the buildings and the smoke, man!

more notes once i can buy it (when ever i will get my two1 key).

immer voran,

himmelstoss

To change fire mode (top, lower parts, etc.) right-click fire mode button on lower right orders panel (the one with the target image).

In Retreat order tanks are always move backwards.

To change the facing, press Defend order button and right-click at desired direction.

If only one unit is selected, you can also just right-click and hold until "rotate" cursor appears, then release the right mouse button.

You can also rotate the turret by selecting the turret gun with left-click first.

Super dummy here. I played the 1st one and could rotate 360 degrees on battlefield. But sweet Moses cannot figure how now. How?

By default, the camera in the game is set to RTS mode and it's movement is somewhat limited. Press and hold mouse wheel to rotate the view.

You can change camera mode in camera settings, choose free mode and the camera will function like in TOW1. Press and hold mouse wheel to rotate the view.

Well a few probs:

1. The UI could do with some refining as there are loads of buttons and in the demo i used less than half of them.

2. I had the graphics on the highest the would go but it still looked like like the original CMs and was a very low FPS so i dont know what the matter is there.

3. The squad selection is so slow and annoying. I want to move people not spend 10 secs trying to select them.

If you didn't get the email reply to your ticket yet then it has been spam-blocked on your end. Check your ticket status at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk. There are no open tickets at this time so yours must have been answered yesterday already.

oh yes, i did get the conformation e-mail for my ticket.

just waiting on the key now i guess.

i wait patiently no problem.

thx,

himmel

ps: NM! i locked into the ticket and saw that the key was posted there already. i thought i would get a separate mail receiving it.

now off to the pre-order screen!!

-h

To change fire mode (top, lower parts, etc.) right-click fire mode button on lower right orders panel (the one with the target image).

In Retreat order tanks are always move backwards.

To change the facing, press Defend order button and right-click at desired direction.

If only one unit is selected, you can also just right-click and hold until "rotate" cursor appears, then release the right mouse button.

You can also rotate the turret by selecting the turret gun with left-click first.

gee, thx Sneaksie!

dono y i could not figure that out on my own.

himmel

I found the UI difficult to use. I was expecting a walk-through with the demo, but there's nothing, just orders which leave you to work out what to do.

It certainly looks good but, as with ToW1, it's a bit fiddly and something about it just doesn't feel quite realistic enough. It hasn't made me want to abandon CMSF, and I think I'll probably pass on this one as a purchase and wait for CM2 Normandy for my next WW2 gaming experience.