Vista 64/Nvidia 182.08

Ron

Well I finally got around to reinstalling CMBB and CMAK on my new machine. At first it was unplayable, then simply setting the AA to 2X in Nvidia's Control Panel solved that issue. However the frame rates seemed pretty low so I used Fraps to start monitoring that. I found out it doesn't seem to matter at all what settings I set for CM in the control panel as the frame rates remain the 'same', regardless of scenario size or 3D settings. What 'seems' to affect the frame rates is what unit I happen to be clicked on! Does that make sense to anyone? For example, not on any unit then framerate is about 15-18, a tank about the same, an Infantry in a foxhole about 2-4, and an Infantry in the open 26-29. I have tried this in several scenarios of differing sizes and what I said above seemed to stand out. It is Greek to me.

For those in the know, what settings should I use with CM in Nvidia's Control Panel? I have little idea what most of those things actually do. In my random changes it didn't *seem* to make any difference though it does in other games. I have a nagging feeling though that those settings represent something! :)

Ron

I'm afraid there is no solution to your problem Ron, other than reverting back to Win XP. You see Nvidia have removed part of their DirectX 5 routine from their driver support. You may be able to use much older drivers of course but then you're at the mercy of them not supporting newer titles all that well.

My workaround, (which is a much better solution) is to invest in a ATI card. I am currently able to play CMBB/CMAK with Vista 32 as was intended. Even with fog support. The colour is a 'tad' saturated (if that's the right word) but it utilises the card properly and I get perfect frame rates all the time. It's the only way to play a decent game properly.

Even Ansitropic Filtering appears to work!

Hmm , yes I am coming to the realization of that, albeit reluctantly! I didn't really want to dual-boot with XP but I guess I will have to it seems if I want to play CM. I didn't know that the newer ATI cards would work properly with CM under Vista :( I had just recently put together my system and had got a good deal on a 9800 GTX, not sure I am willing to get another at this point and time. I had in the past tried installing CM on my wife's computer which has an older ATI card, a 3400 series I believe, but it didn't work properly either and I *recalled* from previous threads here that ATI and CM didn't mix. I will have to investigate if newer ATI drivers solve the corruption. That may be pointless anyways as 'what's hers is hers' :)

Getting back to the new ATI cards, which one do you recommend? I had heard that they run hot, is that true?

Ron

If you were heading ATI then the 4850 is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment. That allows you to play modern games with decent framerates, and it allows you to play CMBB/CMAK too. You can get good deals on Ebay. Mine was £114 inc.

As Redwolf correctly points out too, if you wanted to go with an older generation Nvidia card, then get yourself a 7950 or something along those lines. Something pre Direct X 10 basically. To be honest that would probably be better for CMBB/CMAK but it wouldn't be as good with the latest stuff.

My card doesn't run too hot - it's about 60 degrees under load which is more than acceptable.

Yeah but do you really wanna wave good-bye to current and future games by going back to old cards? I just got my new Vista PC myself on Tuesday and haven't gotten around to installing XP Pro dual-boot yet. I'm using my old PC for CMx1 duties at the moment. As long as you got an extra copy of XP laying around somewhere, won't cost you anything except time.

It doesn't really look all that hard or complicated to do either. If your interested, here's a nice how-to article about setting it up. It looks pretty straight forward too.

Yeah but do you really wanna wave good-bye to current and future games by going back to old cards? I just got my new Vista PC myself on Tuesday and haven't gotten around to installing XP Pro dual-boot yet. I'm using my old PC for CMx1 duties at the moment. As long as you got an extra copy of XP laying around somewhere, won't cost you anything except time.

It doesn't really look all that hard or complicated to do either. If your interested, here's a nice how-to article about setting it up. It looks pretty straight forward too.

Thanks for that article. That's something new, I always thought the older OS had to be installed first. Yes, I am definitely NOT interested in going back to older cards now; I am really happy with the 9800 GTX, initially it was price/performance but now I am really appreciating that it is so damn quiet.

Phil, which card(brand/model) do you have? Using HW Monitor, the max temp on my card has been 60-65 C also, playing Fallout 3 or SH IV, pretty good I thought for stock. Ironically after *trying* to play CMBB I noticed it never goes above 43-44 C, barely above the idle temp of 37 C, so for sure the program isn't running the hardware.

Ron