Any news?

Hawk

Well, Brit, after reading the latest map editor post, I rescind my patient praise - I MUST HAVE IT NOW! ;-)

Just kidding of course, but the map editor features look spectacular and look like something that code ignorant people like me can use effectively.

Your point about MOO3 is accurate. IIRC, the developer wanted WAY more time, but it was the publishing company that pushed the game out early. So thank Battlefront for being very patient people! Unfortunately, although the patches for MOO3 did make the game tolerable, it never made it good. The reason behind this is that some of their base mechanics were flawed, not fun, or not appealing to their market audience. They overcomplicated something simple, adding sliders and buttons and toggles that were too complicated or not needed. They built tons of micromanagement into a game they wanted to be played macro-style (read their design diaries, if they still exist out there).

But I don't think you have this problem. From what I see, the design of EoS is elegant and looks fun and manageable. I think your design strategy of "quick fun, easy to learn - hard to master, down and dirty combat, large-scale multiplayer friendly" coincides with the ingame mechanics I see in your blog posts, forum discussions, and info releases. Some people asked for certain elements to add complexity (supply, logistics, convoys, etc.) but, IMHO you can go with Stardock's GalCiv II route - start with a great base and add toggle-able complexity with patches and expansions!

SoM

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just kidding of course, but the map editor features look spectacular and look like something that code ignorant people like me can use effectively.

It really is. I spent a much, much longer time writing up that tutorial than I did making the map. And I had barely even peered into the editor before I made it.

We are planning to do something like that actually, just not SP but MP. Mainly for selfish reasons (we want to get more freebie testing out of you guys by sending out a public beta demo :D), but also because it's difficult to convey in writing or even videos how innovative and elegant the game is as a total concept. And that applies not just to MP by the way. Curse the AI...

• 2 weeks later...
We have recently completed an entire 5 player MP game as part of testing (4 human players and 1 AI player) and I am preparing the AAR for you guys at the moment.

I am expecting that AAR to be completely truthful and accurate; namely that Steve and I kicked your butt and you begged for mercy.

Normal Dude is this anywhere near as good as SC?

I think it is just fun as SC, if for different reasons. While you can have set up scenarios in EOS, they don't approach anywhere near the intricacy and flexibility that SC does due to the scripts involved. Think of EOS as a simpler Civilization with only combat and research, and a much, much stronger multi-player component. Up to eight players at once, with a built in voice chat and game lobby (both work really well I might add) with all the backstabbing and dealing and hasty alliances of convenience that comes, and it's gonna be a fun time. :D

Photoshop'd, I say!

But I also have the "full game playback" file from Brit which I am using to write the AAR! :P

A note for the unwashed masses: The playback file allows you to replay individual turns or the entire game turn by turn or continuously, including for single player and MP player games (the host is keeper of that file, and can upload/share with others).

A note for the unwashed masses: The playback file allows you to replay individual turns or the entire game turn by turn or continuously, including for single player and MP player games (the host is keeper of that file, and can upload/share with others).

Sweeeeet! :) This is going to be so awesome!

Hey guys, I was wondering about this game, if it has sound.( like combat sounds and movement sounds) I was wondering this because I watched the gameplay vids and didnt hear any sound. (My first post!)

The main sounds in the game are select-sounds (when you select a unit, before giving it orders), and combat sounds (tank cannons, bombs exploding, air-raid sirens, etc). I didn't add any movement sounds to the game because everything is moving simultaneously. The sounds would get confusing if everything played a sound while moving.