Any news?

Hawk

Ahem... no new developer diaries... release info... or that AAR? Either that is a bad sign or a very good sign (too busy getting this done to post)! Come'on guys, throw us a bone!

<tosses smoke bomb and disappears into the night>

SoM

Yeah, sorry for the lack of updates. Lately, I've been busy with game-balancing issues: making sure resources on the map are balanced well against the cities' and units' consumption of those resources, tweaking the technology tree, units, and the city improvements. There's a bug that sometimes crashes the application once every 70 turns or so. I hope to get that fixed this week. And, of course, tweaks to the AI to make it play better. (It's actually very cool setting up the game to have AIs play against each other with no human players involved; this isn't something players will be able to do, but it's very nice for testing.) Things are progressing, and have been progressing over the past few months. But, it's the perpetual problem of software projects that things take longer than you initially think they will.

So, that's the state of things right now: flushing out the bugs so players will have a bug-free experience, and tweaking the game-balance and AI to make the game as fun as possible.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...(It's actually very cool setting up the game to have AIs play against each other with no human players involved; this isn't something players will be able to do, but it's very nice for testing.)...

Aaaargh! Please, PLEASE make this option available for players as well! I love this feature, but it's so seldom available these days. It's invaluable for testing custome made maps and scenarios in these types of games! Pretty please, with sugar on top? :)

BTW: I was wonder if the delivery is still anticipated in the first half of 2009? Does anybody have any info?

I need to do some discussion with the publisher to figure out if we'll release before the end of June. I'll get back to you on this.

• 2 weeks later...
Brit, any change for allowing AI vs AI for us mere mortals, or is that an absolutely no-go? :)

Hi Hawk. The AI vs AI isn't something that I'm going to turn-on for the initial release. I do like to give users what they're looking for, though, so if this is something that people would like to see, then maybe I could open it up later.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone is staying dry!! It has done nothing but rain for the last three straight days here in "sunny" Florida.

Everybody has gone quiet on this forum. Has anybody heard any news on how the game is progressing? Any news on the release date?

Thanks!!

The game is still progressing. I've been doing more work on game-balancing and the AI. I'm spending a lot of time watching the AI play games against itself, watching for errors and fixing them. Interesting side note: The AI is designed to play the game with any set of rules. This means if someone creates their own game-rules, with totally new units and technology, the AI should be able to play a good game.

As far as the release date: it looks like the release won't be within the first half of the year - which is only six weeks away at this point. But, we'll certainly be giving out more information during that six weeks.

The game is still progressing. I've been doing more work on game-balancing and the AI. I'm spending a lot of time watching the AI play games against itself, watching for errors and fixing them. Interesting side note: The AI is designed to play the game with any set of rules. This means if someone creates their own game-rules, with totally new units and technology, the AI should be able to play a good game.

As far as the release date: it looks like the release won't be within the first half of the year - which is only six weeks away at this point. But, we'll certainly be giving out more information during that six weeks.

Brit,

Thank you for the information. You definitely have an avid fan on this end. Keep up the hard work, and have a great relaxing weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
is there any more news on progress??? Can't wait to play this game. :)

thanks.

Hi MagicKoji.

Sorry for the lack of updates. The beta has been taking longer than I would've expected. A lot has been accomplished, though. In the past few months, we've reduced the amount of memory the game takes (it was using up too much memory on very large maps with lots of AI players), speeded up turn-processing, speeded up AI decision-making, made big improvements to the game rendering (which was slowing down when there were lots of units and animations on the screen), and fixing other bugs. Some of these improvements have been pretty dramatic. I've been adding a some of the beta-tester suggestions to the game as well. At this point, we're still getting everything in top shape.

Hi MagicKoji.

Sorry for the lack of updates. The beta has been taking longer than I would've expected. A lot has been accomplished, though. In the past few months, we've reduced the amount of memory the game takes (it was using up too much memory on very large maps with lots of AI players), speeded up turn-processing, speeded up AI decision-making, made big improvements to the game rendering (which was slowing down when there were lots of units and animations on the screen), and fixing other bugs. Some of these improvements have been pretty dramatic. I've been adding a some of the beta-tester suggestions to the game as well. At this point, we're still getting everything in top shape.

thank you for the reply, I think you're going to have a big hit on your hands... because I sure can't wait. :)

Any chance of a demo being released soon?

I'd like to get something out to people "soon", but I can't really define what "soon" means. I can tell you that it won't be this month. I can also say that one of the problems I'm dealing with right now is a networking problem. At least I'm in good company - it looks like Stardock has the same problem with Demigod (scroll down to "The Pantheon" section http://frogboy.joeuser.com/article/355534). We're using the same library. They didn't discover it until after they released the game, and now they're trying to fix it.

I'd like to get something out to people "soon", but I can't really define what "soon" means. I can tell you that it won't be this month. I can also say that one of the problems I'm dealing with right now is a networking problem....

Sorry to hear about that, Brit. From what I read on that blog it seems like a tough nut to crack. Perhaps a stand-alone demo with just singleplayer mode would be possible in the mean time? ;)

Actually we are in fact considering a public beta demo. But the focus would be multiplayer instead of single player. The game is darn fine as is in singleplayer, it's the (8 player) networking code where we're going to have to expand the tester base to polish it.

While single player is great and very addictive as is and the AI opponent can smack you often enough, MP is a big part of the game due to the built in IM and voice chat, scenario and mod swapping and MP lobby and other community driving features. And, well, it's simply a blast to play, too, so we want to make sure it works right.

I understand the push to have the MP right, and I respect it.

I know I'll be an SP only (or nearly only player), so I'm pleased to hear that the SP is fit and ready to go (and would love it to be released with the promise of an MP patch) but I think it just makes perfect sense to have the thing in tip-top shape. First impressions are important and most people will want MP in their first impressions.

So good luck guys! I'll be here when the "Buy Now" button lights up!

SoM

I understand the push to have the MP right, and I respect it.

I know I'll be an SP only (or nearly only player), so I'm pleased to hear that the SP is fit and ready to go (and would love it to be released with the promise of an MP patch) but I think it just makes perfect sense to have the thing in tip-top shape. First impressions are important and most people will want MP in their first impressions.

So good luck guys! I'll be here when the "Buy Now" button lights up!

SoM

Thanks.

One of the things I've been thinking about lately is the release of Masters of Orion 3. It got bad reviews because it wasn't a very good game. I've heard that they released several patches that made the game a whole lot better. Despite the fact that I own a copy, I still haven't bothered to get the latest patches and try it out again. The reason I've been thinking about MOO3 is because I wouldn't want to make the same mistake they did: releasing before it was ready. It sounds like they would've done a lot better holding off the release instead of releasing and then adding patches.