Trenches, foxholes, and slit trenches

c3k

Steiner14,

But the arguments you brought up against it, are not convincing at all

Obviously :D But I feel that at this point you aren't really listening to anything I'm saying because you are utterly convinced you're right. The arguments I've put up to challenge the positive impact of your proposal are EXTREMELY sound, both in terms of realism and in terms of gameplay. It is your right to disagree with that, but it's a dead issue because your idea had a fair hearing and it failed some very basic tests:

1. not historically reasonable

2. won't address the problem at all in any significant way

3. will harm realistic behavior

A proposal that harms realism and harms gameplay with no noticeable benefit is an obvious thing to reject. And yes, I am the one that gets to make the decision about if that's the case or not. I have made that judgement and so it's a dead issue.

Steve

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, scan 2 minutes into this video and see how a 20 second delay of Recon By Fire (or in this case, blind suppressive fire) could possibly result in the same behavior. Target shifting all over the place and definitely no pauses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACgSkko86o

Steve

IMO that is not a good example, because that's not supressive fire. That's useless waste of ammo. Who should be supressed from a Striker driving by and doing a fireworks? The women in the kitchen from cooking?

dan/california,

The yellow line of death is now real by the way. One guy lases/shoots, many friends think it is a good idea.

Yup, especially in a COIN environment where the shooters tend to be few in number and hard to spot. So if a Squad is hammering at a building then the others might think that's a good idea too. However, that's not the Yellow Line of Death thing at all. That's pretty much a problem with Absolute Spotting that CM no longer has. What CM now has is pretty much the way it would happen in real life.

Steiner,

IMO that is not a good example, because that's not supressive fire.

Oh, so they're just shooting to impress the camera?

That's useless waste of ammo.

Says you, safely sitting at your computer :)

Who should be supressed from a Striker driving by and doing a fireworks?

Special Forces Humvees, manned by some of the best trained and seasoned soldiers in the world today. So I don't think your opinion, or mine for that matter, counts for much.

Anyway, it's a stupid argument to be having because I can't possibly believe, even for a second, that you think that recon by fire and blind guess suppressive fire isn't something that was common practice in WW2. It's done even now when there are much stricter rules of engagement. Therefore, since I believe you DO know that this is the truth that you're simply sticking to your concepts because... well... you don't want to let it go, for whatever reason.

Like I said, you had an idea... you presented it well... we had a debate... I concluded it wasn't a good direction to go and took the time to explain why about a dozen times. It's over, done, and I'm locking this one up because it's a complete waste of time.

Steve