Could this be the first pic of CMx2 WWII ? [Edit] Yes!

The M36 wasn't deployed to the ETO until September 1944.

Well there was talk about a module to the France Summer of '44 game ( I hesitate to call it Normandy as I understand it will cover more than just that) that will add Market-Garden and September so maybe the M-36 will come along with it.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which US tanks from CMBO will be in? M36 Jackson was the only capable of defeating the tiger front armor. Not sure when it was introduced and if it fits the normandy time frame. I think 76 Sherman and M10/M18s will be fine. With panthers and tigers in, maybe US will need borrowing some IEDs or RPGs from CMSF's Syrians :D

Or, you could use, like, tactics or something.

Screenshot is inspiring. It stirs feelings long dormant.

Yea, tiger looks awesome and its an early beta I suppose. I'm not worried about the vehicles, they will look fantastic judging from CMSF. I think enviroments need a special care too. No excsessive tree cloning and a more lively/picturesque world is a must. Hope they find a way to allow for multiple building textures. Not just replace/overwrite existing ones. Can you imagine a scenario maker having a pool of unlimited textures for dressing up buildings straight from the modding community? Cafes, bakeries, gass stations..one could build the whole Carentan if BFC allowed that option (and our video ram of course).

Yeah, that looks promising indeed and I share your excitement...

BUT (because there is a huge but here)

Just picture this gorgeous Tiger... burning the way all vehicles currently do in CMSF...

...and instantly there is no joy anymore, but just a real pain in the ass ;-)

So Battlefront pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase tell us that you will implement damaged / wrecked models for the WWII game ! The ones you used for CM1X series were simple but did the job.

Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzze !!!!

Hope they find a way to allow for multiple building textures.

Actually, it can be done now but its horrendously difficult.

Building facades are now numbered up to building 7. You can keep going. Building 8, 9, 10 etc. BUT you need to do the whole package for each building - balconies, doors, bottom/middle/top facades, roof, interior. And you have to hand select the facade while building the scenario map (no random placement), AND I'm not at all sure what'll happen when someone without Building 8 art tries to open a scenario using building 8 art.

How do I know this? Because I've tried it. I salute whoever did the original art. :o

Actually, it can be done now but its horrendously difficult.

Building facades are now numbered up to building 7. You can keep going. Building 8, 9, 10 etc. BUT you need to do the whole package for each building - balconies, doors, bottom/middle/top facades, roof, interior. And you have to hand select the facade while building the scenario map (no random placement), AND I'm not at all sure what'll happen when someone without Building 8 art tries to open a scenario using building 8 art.

How do I know this? Because I've tried it. I salute whoever did the original art. :o

Sounds horrendous indeed :D

Well, I'm hoping that Normandy buildings will be a bit simpler to mod, with no balconies, and multiple floors. I suspect they wont be that customisable as in CMSF.

PROOF that my Building renumbering scheme works! Behold building #8 test run.

Plus I unplugged the mod and restarted the scenario to see if it would crash and it just used standing art. No crashes or error messages. This is good news. Adding buildings to the game is doable and it won't break the game in the process :D

Building8.jpg

Actually, from a practical scenario building standpoint, I'm hoping to see some R39 tanks so I can recreate some of the battles against US Paratroopers. I think there may have been some Somuas fighting the british paras but I'm not certain of it.

I was talking to some local reenactors who were in disagreement about the involvement of captured French vehicles in Normandy. One claimed that units like the 21st Panzer who did have some of these in their formation disembarked leaving these vehicles behind. The other claims that these vehicles actually did see action. I've never seen any information that clearly says one way or another. I know that on the beaches themselves many french turrets were converted into fixed casemates for defense.

This from a reply to a statement made about French captured tanks in Normandy:

*All of the 21st Panzer divisions captured tanks were concentrated in the 2nd battalion of Panzer Regiment 22. On the first of June the battalion had:

20x Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.G/H

6x Pz.Kpfw.IV with 7.5cm KwK 37 (Pz.Kpfw IV Ausf.B)

35x Pz.Kpfw.35S 739(f) - S35

3x Pz.Bef.Wg.35S 739(f) - S35

2x Pz.Kpfw.35R 741(f) - R35

2x Pz.Kpfw.38H or 39H 735(f) - H38 or H39

However, before they could see combat they were discarded when the majority of the battalion was sent back to Germany before D-Day to re-equip with Panthers. All of the Panzer IV's and the remaining personnel were used to form an extra company in the first battalion.

However two other units operated captured French tanks. Firstly Panzer Ausbildungs und Ersatz Abteilung (Panzer replacement battalion) 100, attached to the 91st Airlanding Division and located near Carentan with 1 S35, 8 H38s or H39s, 1 Char B2, 5 37mm gunned FT-17/18s plus one Panzer III and Panzer Abteilung 206 with 10 S35s, 28 H39s and and 6 Char B2s.*

Yea, tiger looks awesome and its an early beta I suppose. I'm not worried about the vehicles, they will look fantastic judging from CMSF. I think enviroments need a special care too. No excsessive tree cloning and a more lively/picturesque world is a must. Hope they find a way to allow for multiple building textures. Not just replace/overwrite existing ones. Can you imagine a scenario maker having a pool of unlimited textures for dressing up buildings straight from the modding community? Cafes, bakeries, gass stations..one could build the whole Carentan if BFC allowed that option (and our video ram of course).

Fully agree with the terrain, particularly larger plants and trees, as well as the ground below needs some care! While the close up looks of CMSF (and CM Normandy?) trees are ok, the far off view (billboard trees), particularly in the screenshot look quite disappointing. While billboard trees do the job well (just like in CM1), the far off view of forrested areas need more a look of some dark "mass". Depends upon lighting direction for sure, but having the option of dark terrain tiles shown below forest areas (close up and far view) and casting shadows only at those places where actually visible (single standing objects and trees) would add much to a realistic appearance IMHO. Trees inside forests (depending upon density) don´t need to cast shadows and an appropiately painted forest ground tile does the job more than good enough. Also darker tree textures for inside forest trees add to the impression of beeing inside a forest. At least having these options availble for map makers to arrange in this way, would allow to make realistic looking (otherwise resource hungry) forested areas.:)

Fully agree with the terrain, particularly larger plants and trees, as well as the ground below needs some care! While the close up looks of CMSF (and CM Normandy?) trees are ok, the far off view (billboard trees), particularly in the screenshot look quite disappointing. While billboard trees do the job well (just like in CM1), the far off view of forrested areas need more a look of some dark "mass". Depends upon lighting direction for sure, but having the option of dark terrain tiles shown below forest areas (close up and far view) and casting shadows only at those places where actually visible (single standing objects and trees) would add much to a realistic appearance IMHO. Trees inside forests (depending upon density) don´t need to cast shadows and an appropiately painted forest ground tile does the job more than good enough. Also darker tree textures for inside forest trees add to the impression of beeing inside a forest. At least having these options availble for map makers to arrange in this way, would allow to make realistic looking (otherwise resource hungry) forested areas.:)

You read my mind. Since we now move to wooded Europe I hope to see those things you mention. I dont like distant trees either. No shadowing and no underbrush tiles underneath give woods a feel that they are not really there and hover in mid air. Even CMBO with its crude square bmps gave woods a more solid look. A LOD wood texture to create the tree mass look of dense woods and add permanent shadow could be the solution.

untitled.jpg

BillsWoodsAerial_Cronon_DSC8745.jpg

May I suggest trees and objects in general having a subtle secondary cyclic simple shadow underneath them regardless of 3d lighting/view distance? Disappearing/redrawn shadows make environments look light and unconvinving.

I assume you've got top-secret super-fast NSA supercomputers to run the game on. We mere mortals have some trouble handling dense 3-D forests with our plain old PCs. Besides, anything above the height of someone standing on the top of his tank is gamey. Unless you're flying over the battlefield in a Piper Cub you shouldn't be seeing the battlefield from that view. ;)

We are definitely putting quite a bit of thought into vegetation and how to get lots and lots and lots of it without requiring time sharing with NASA computers :D

One thing to keep in mind is that there MUST be limitations on how many textures are available. That's because VRAM is a limited commodity that can be easily overwhelmed by you Mod Grogs. With that said, we are planning on some significant changes to the way buildings and their textures work for Normandy.

Steve

GSX,

I've got news for you... the "sexy German big Cats" have ALWAYS been what sells WW2 games from this era. Look at the cover of A-H's "Panzer Leader" for example. Since this is what people expect, we're just going with the flow :D

sigh... one screenshot and this is all the thanks we get ;) Sheesh... might as well have shown a blank map and have you conclude that there would be no forces in the game at all, just nice terrain.

Steve

Hmm, havent you spent a lot of time blowing your own trumpet by saying your company does not go with the flow? Your innovative, fantastic, get a million hits a day and have hundreds of thousands of customers.

And yet despite all of this, you will peddle the same old vision of Normandy that every other non innovative, non visionary company that cant make it as good as you do. Seems a tad contradictory to me.

I just find it strange that the first screenshot is of a Tiger, why not a Sherman???? After all, isnt the emphasis of CM-Normandy a US battlegroup fighting in Normandy against the evil Nazis?

But hey I guess it will be the Tigers that sell the game and not gameplay.