'Abandoned' Stryker

Just had a case where Stryker took some hits and the crew bailed and got nailed.

Now I've a Stryker sitting empty [with it's ramp open BTW] stacked full of gear that no-one can enter, neither another crew nor troops :(

I've noted some instances where 'abandoned' vehicles have been able to be re-mounted but in this case to no avail.

Anyone know what the status is of an 'abandoned' vehicle and how come it can't be entered or acquired from?

Cheers

My experience is that if the vehicle isn't part of the squad or crew immediate command hierarchy, you can't enter or use the vehicle. That may be case here.

Odd that troops from one platoon can't do anything with another platoon's vehicles, not even hitch a ride. I hope that this gets changed at some point.

Stryker took some hits

It's abandoned for a reason. Your damage monitor should tell you why. Wpns syst or mobility damage are enough for the crew to bailout. Do you happen to know what the damage was?

It is an interesting discussion on abandon vehicle re-crewing and acquire functions. Should there be an ability to re-crew and acquire and by whom, and under what circumstance should it be allowed?

My experience is that if the vehicle isn't part of the squad or crew immediate command hierarchy, you can't enter or use the vehicle. That may be case here.

Odd that troops from one platoon can't do anything with another platoon's vehicles, not even hitch a ride. I hope that this gets changed at some point.

I haven't found this to be the case. Any infantry can board any friendly vehicle as passengers, so long as there is room. In a mission I played just now I ended up using Strykers to ferry some Marines around. It is true, however, that with the exception of HMMWV's and UAZ's, only the crew that started with the vehicle is capable of operating it.

It is an interesting discussion on abandon vehicle re-crewing and acquire functions. Should there be an ability to re-crew and acquire and by whom, and under what circumstance should it be allowed?

I've always thought that it should be allowed for infantry to enter and acquire from vehicles that are abandoned/destroyed, but not on fire. Admittedly, equipment or ammo in a destroyed vehicle may be unusable even if the vehicle isn't ablaze, but one should be able to enter them and have a look. One way this could work would be to (more or less randomly) remove some of the equipment from a vehicle's stores when it is destroyed. Certainly an abandoned vehicle should be accessible for friendly units to resupply from.

Any infantry can board any friendly vehicle as passengers, so long as there is room...It is true, however, that with the exception of HMMWV's and UAZ's, only the crew that started with the vehicle is capable of operating it.

+1 to that, slug88. Another thing I find slightly unfortunate, though, is the fact that the first inf unit to enter a HumVee or UAZ always mans the controls and weapons. This means that if your 'designated driver unit' (whatever it may be) shows up at the vehicle after the passengers, the passengers will either have to wait outside, or get in for protection and then get back out again when the driver shows up.

Another classic case for a pop-up a la 'use main gun? yes/no' -> 'unit is driver? yes/no' would be nifty.

If a Stryker is lost in Iraq or Afghanistan like this, would it simply be abandoned until the area is safe, or would the US work to pull it soon so that it couldn't be taken and studied, repaired, or the material inside taken by the enemy? I would presume there be something worthy of looting, especially for insurgents or terrorists or asymmetrical troops or whatever would properly describe them. Or, depending if there's enough damage, are they just completely abandoned?

The standard drill would probably be for the crew to attempt to strip out what they can - particularly radio equipment or crypto. What happened from there would depend on the situation - attempt to repair/recover or remain on overwatch. If that was not possible the vehicle would be denied to the enemy by whatever means were available - chucking grenades in it or firing an anti-tank weapon at it or getting air/avn to destroy it.

It's abandoned for a reason. Your damage monitor should tell you why. Wpns syst or mobility damage are enough for the crew to bailout. Do you happen to know what the damage was?

Aye Mark, I wasn't querying that it should've been abandoned in the first place [though IMHO bailing from a nice armoured Stryker into a trench full of spotted OPFOR currently causing the damage doesn't seem like good business sense :rolleyes: ] just that no-one could go back in.

I would proffer that as long as the ramp is down that anyone should be able to enter an 'abandoned' vehicle to Acquire [and maybe as stoex suggested that randomly some of the stores are stuffed, if the damage sustained would cause that] and any other Stryker crews should be able to enter and either drive if the vehicle is driveable or man the MG/pop smoke etc if that is possible considering sustained damage.

Military armored vehicles don't have keys (at least all the ones I have rode in) usually for the very reason that losing the keys make for an ineffective vehicle. Starting the vehicle is flipping some switches and pushing the starter button. Securing the vehicle is usually locking the hatches and / or chaining the steering wheel or assembly.

There's are no keyed ignition systems in Army military vehicles. That I remember. The only time your vehicle is "locked" is when it's in the motor pool or some such place. In those instances you usually lock a hatch with a pad lock or secure the steering wheel with a cable.

Valuable or sensitive items that could be easily taken out are either removed or locked in brackets inside the vehicle.

If you have to abandon a vehicle and there's a chance it might be captured the TC will at the very least "Z" out the radios/electronic equipment (wipes frequencies and crypto). If feasible they'll thermite it along with the vehicle's engine/weapon system. That was the proscribed procedure a few years ago. I'm not sure what it is now.

I've seen a video of a Bradley being hit by an Apache after the crew bailed in order to keep it from being capture so there's always that option.

Aye birdstrike, I'm thinking I've had crews re-enter abandoned vehicles before too, was very useful to be able to.

I'm wondering of the 1.11 patch didn't change that maybe? Seems odd not to allow re-entry and acquiring even, just for a busted wheel :)

That would be odd, indeed.

I think I need to keep a closer eye on the damage inflicted on the vehicle when the crew abandons it.