British Module ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the sounds -- especially the rifle and LMG sounds -- in the video seem rather better to me than the default sounds as of v1.11.

(One of the first mods I installed was a sound mod to improve on the game's admittedly uninspiring small-arms sound effects.)

There are no major code changes planned for CM:SF. Minor changes, many of which have come from user requests, are indeed on their way to you. But remember, all code changes that are not specific to a nation's equipment/forces are available to everybody. They may be more or less applicable to the stuff in one Module or the other, but inherently the code improvements are released for free to everybody.

The video was shot last week, only a few days before the video was uploaded. So yes, it does reflect the state of the game as it is now. We'll probably call it "Alpha" until it's just about ready to go out the door. There's not a lot for us to do beyond what we consider Alpha work.

The sounds are specific to individual weapons in CMx2. Which means new weapons get their own, unique weapons sounds.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi the saying goes "no news is good news" but when waiting for British Module it definitely does not apply. I think it should be changed to "any news is good news", so please BFC can we have an update on progress and maybe an up to date TO&E or any others scraps of information.

Thanks

Paul

So it appears your goal of releasing a new module every 4 months is a little off which immediately brings to mind 2 questions, neither of which you're likely to answer...

How far off do you figure your goal of releasing a new module every 4 months is?

How far off does this make your goal of releasing a new title every 12 months?

I've been counting the Marines release as t minus 4 months for CM: N which would have put its release somewhere in the neighborhood of June/July.

Since you said, in another thread, that models for both the Brits and CM:N were imported last week I'm not sure I should completely discount my methodology. However, unless/until you release updated release goals my speculating days appear to be numbered.

Progress is going well. As far as the content goes it's all been in for a while now. Because there is so much new stuff there have been a lot of small details that have to be checked and corrected as necessary.

sfhand,

So it appears your goal of releasing a new module every 4 months is a little off which immediately brings to mind 2 questions, neither of which you're likely to answer...

We never commit to release dates until we're just about ready to release. Mostly because of...

How far off do you figure your goal of releasing a new module every 4 months is?

How far off does this make your goal of releasing a new title every 12 months?

Goals are what goals are... something to shoot for. In software development that usually means falling short of one's goals :D CMBO was more than a year late, CMBB was well over a year late, CMAK was months late, CM:SF was more than a year late, Marines was a few months late, Brit Module is also a few months late. See a pattern here? :)

The way we look at it is that things are far better with the new code than the old code. While we're not quite on track to release things as quickly as we had planned, considering how many different things we are working on concurrently (as opposed to CMx1's "one at a time" development) things are going VERY well. Marines Module was our first ever Module so lots of stuff had to be worked out. British Module is Cassio's first Module and our first team effort. So some upfront time lost getting familiar with everything. That time spent is well worth it and won't come around again.

Since you said, in another thread, that models for both the Brits and CM:N were imported last week I'm not sure I should completely discount my methodology. However, unless/until you release updated release goals my speculating days appear to be numbered.

Some corrections. Brit models, data, and TO&E have been in for a couple of months now. CM: Normandy is a stand alone game and is VASTLY more complex than a simple Module. Lots of specific game coding things need to be done to support that time frame and environment, hence why it is a stand alone game ;)

Things are really cooking nicely now. Most of the work for the NATO Module (models, data, some textures) is done. Work on the first Normandy Module, in fact, is underway already. So for the first time we're getting ahead on certain traditional development bottlenecks, namely modeling and artwork. Programming, integration, testing, and scenario/campaign building can be concentrated on without having to wait for the other stuff. All good news as far as we are concerned.

Steve

Thanks Sixxkiller, but... um... no thanks.

At first blush it may sound like quite the deal but it poses certain logistical problems for me. You see, since I've just been sitting on CMSF until the release of v1.11, I still have to finish the original campaign. Then there is the highly regarded Search for a Ghost campaign. Then there is the Marines module. Then there is the highly regarded USMC Forging Steel campaign. Not to mention the ongoing PBEM games (which put all the others on the back burner because as great as single player has become it still comes in second to PBEM IMHO)

I'm absolutely certain that I will buy the Brit module upon its release and prior to finishing these campaigns. In many ways I look at it as a way of keeping the game "fresh" until CM:N? is realeased. The main reason for someone in my situation to wish for the earliest possible release of the Brit module is the core gameplay improvements that will come with it (adjustable waypoints please...).

My gratitude is not for the release of the module, it's for the release of information. It makes me happy to know that the traditional bottlenecks they faced in CM production are going bye bye. It makes me happy to be able to speculate on release dates - silly me, I still think a summer release of CM:N? is possible (I can now also speculate about the first CM:N? module as well - thanks Steve!), and that puts a smile on my face. So anytime there is a release of information that allows me to re-evaluate the tea leaves I happily do so. The release of this type of information is just another little thing that sets BF apart from the vast majority of the game developing world.

Speaking of the WWII Commonwealth module for Normandy, I made a list of vehicles potentially available to the Commonwealth in June 44 and it far exceeeds that of the U.S forces. That could be one enormous module.

Out of curiosity, how much of that is US leased stuff?

Can you post your list here? I´d be curious to see what you´ve got.

-

Here is my list. It is taken from a spreadsheet for CMAK of Commonwealth vehicles for June to August '44 with the Cromwell added to the top. Maybe someone can enlighten us if there was more than one Cromwell type available in that timeframe.

Cromwell

Valentine X

Valentine XI

Churchill I

Churchill IV

Churchill IV (NA 75)

Churchill V

Churchill VI

Churchill VII

Churchill VIII

Churchill AVRE

Stuart III

Stuart IV

Stuart V

Sherman I (early)

Sherman I

Sherman II (early)

Sherman II

Sherman IIA

Sherman IIC Firefly

Sherman III (early)

Sherman III (mid)

Sherman III (late)

Sherman V (early)

Sherman V

Sherman VC Firefly

Wolverine

Achilles

Archer

M7 Priest

Sexton

75mm SP Autocar

AEC II Armored Car

AEC III Armored Car

Stuart VI

ATR Carrier

Daimler Armored Car

Daimler Armored Car (30mm)

Humber III Armored Car

Humber IV Armored Car

Staghound I

Staghound II

Staghound III

Humber III Light Scout Car

Staghound Flak

Stuart Recce

Stuart Recce (late)

Stuart Kangaroo

Stuart Kangaroo (late)

Universal Carrier

Bren Carrier

MMG Carrier

M5 Halftrack

M5A1 Halftrack

Daimler "Dingo"

Humber Scout Car

White Scout Car

Morris C9/B

Jeep

Jeep MG

Truck

US vehicles:

M5 Stuart

M5A1 Stuart

M4 Sherman (early)

M4 Sherman

M4(105) Sherman

M4A1 Sherman (early)

M4A1 Sherman

M4A1(76)W Sherman

M4A3 Sherman

M4A3(75)W Sherman

M4A3(76)W Sherman

M4A3(105) Sherman

M7 Priest

M7B1 Priest

M8 HMC

M10

M8 Greyhound

M15 MGMC

M20 Scout Car

M2 Halftrack

M3 Halftrack

M3A1 Halftrack

M3 Scout Car

M4 Mortar Carrier

M4A1 Mortar Carrier

M16 MGMC

M21 Mortar Carrier

Truck

Jeep

Jeep MG

Here is my list. It is taken from a spreadsheet for CMAK of Commonwealth vehicles for June to August '44 with the Cromwell added to the top. Maybe someone can enlighten us if there was more than one Cromwell type available in that timeframe.

Far be enlightened from me, but it's easy to check what is available in CMBO at that time.

Centaur IV

Cromwell IV, VI, VII, VIII

There's also Challenger.

Maybe someone can enlighten us if there was more than one Cromwell type available in that timeframe.

Apparently Cromwell Mk IV and Mk VI. I don´t think Churchill I or VIII fit in there. No Archer either. But I guess in CMAK the case was to include all variants and models possible! :)

British Module is Cassio's first Module and our first team effort. So some upfront time lost getting familiar with everything.

Steve

So who is this mysterious Cassio? This is the first time I can recall him/them being mentioned. Won't you introduce us?