Combat Mission on Steam?

Wengart

Steam no doubt takes a cut. How big a cut I don't have a clue. BFC's only logical reason to go that route is if increased sales volume would make up for (perhaps substantially) decreased profit margin. Them selling on Steam would do us no good. We already know where the BFC site is. It would only benefit those entirely unaware of BFC's existance. Perhaps putting the basegame only up in order to drive traffic to the modules.

BTW, some of our games are (or at least used to be) up on Steam, via publishing deals with Strategy First. I believe that T-72 Balkans on Fire at least is up there somewhere (or at least it used to be) - under the retail title however.

To us, Steam is no different than any other sales outlet, Amazon, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate - you name them. They're all resellers and if/when we decide that it's time to put a game into retail distribution, chances are that you may find it up on one of these. But it's not a replacement to what we do here at Battlefront, and the direct sales model via internet from our own controlled portal is an important part of our business philosophy as publisher.

We evaluated other services (Steam is by far not the only one offering "digital delivery services"; there are Digital River - which I think Matrix is using -, Nexway in Europe and others), and doing it ourselves, we always come out on top, both financially, as well as in what we can offer our customers. There is still a number of new features up in the pipeline for www.battlefront.com that we have not yet launched :)

• 5 years later...

I hate to necro this thread, but it popped up in my Google search. IMHO you're doing yourself a disservice by not putting Combat Mission on Steam. They have and continue to impact gaming in a very significant and positive way, in part due to their stellar service and dedicated community.

This game series should not be such a well kept secret ;) Their ability to promote through advertising and word of mouth on the forums makes it seem like a no-brainer. Black Sea is coming soon and I think a lot of people would be intrigued by it's premise and gameplay mechanics.

Combat Mission is what strategy enthusiasts want and it would be a shame if they never got to play it simply because they didn't know where to look. Just because it is on Steam doesn't mean you have to stop your own distribution. The older grogs can still play with the website community, without being interfered with.

I'm a Steam fan because of automatic updates, messaging, the forums, community groups, mod uploads on the Workshop, ect. Steam is popular for a reason- it works. Please consider it :)