Why wont BFC allow the option for "no time limits"

I'm curious why wont allow for the "no time limit" option? Esepcially for user-created scenarios / missions.

There are plenty of great missions / maps....and plenty more theoretically that could be greatly enhanced if players could take whatever time necessary (at least more than simply 2hrs).....

Just curious.

It's been discussed for sure. However it do throw up a variety of issues the main ones I mind being particularly relevant are ammo loadouts for AI forces and AI Plans.

First one throws obvious issues in that AI forces cannot re-supply. The AI Plan issue is a bit more complex as it's difficult to design and implement an AI Plan that could last for an unspecified time limit. It's tough enough designing an AI Plan that will cover a two hour span at the moment.

FWIW I would like to see longer time spans, but along with that I would also like to see battlefield re-supply for AFVs and some basic battlefield recovery e.g. towing stuck M1 out of mud. All of these throw up coding issues...

AI supply issue I can see being somewhat of a point - However, if the more time option was simply an option for the "Player" to take more time (more micromgmt in RT play) this wouldn't cause any issues with the AI/Supply issue....

Yes it would. A player could (purposefully or not) have his forces exposed a long distance away from the AI for a long time until the AI expends its ammunition. As a human player, you might not mind using up some ammo at a distant enemy when you have lots of ammo, however, as your ammo supply dwindles, you might be more selective as to what you fire on. Such behaviour would have to be coded into the AI as well.

Yes it would. A player could (purposefully or not) have his forces exposed a long distance away from the AI for a long time until the AI expends its ammunition. As a human player, you might not mind using up some ammo at a distant enemy when you have lots of ammo, however, as your ammo supply dwindles, you might be more selective as to what you fire on. Such behaviour would have to be coded into the AI as well.

But that would be known to mission / scenario designers and easily worked around - Via limiations on distances for such longer missions, shorter engagment settings for the AI, etc, etc, etc.

I still find no real reason why BFC simply doesn't provide / allow for their customers to have this option.......We would be making these missions for ourselves and allowing ourselves the option of using more time.......

I can completely understand if they did not want such longer times for their created campagins....

I have asked for this feature a long time ago. But to be honest, after designing and playing many missions I don´t think we really need it.

If the designer has created a mission that might be a bit tough to be accomplished in two hour than maybe it is the case to split it into 2 or 3 scenarios using the same map. Make it a mini campaign. This way you can use some extra features as well, like core units or even branching.

Supply Issue: The idea that only the player can chose the option of more time does not solve the resupply issue. The major concern is that the player can go to his vehicles and resupply as many times as he wants to, until he has used up all the ammo in there. The AI cannot.

You don't need this as a battle option.

What should be done, and is done in the BFC published game "TacOps", is an option button "play on" popping up after the regular time limit (before FoW is broken). The two players can then decide to play on or not. If they click "nope", then FoW is broken for the endgame display.

I don't see the AI argument. If somebody wants to press 5 minutes more why wouldn't he override this? While the AI might be at a disadvantage that way, who exactly (as in which human) do you screw over this way?

For me this is a typical example of the long-observed pattern that some people want options removed from the game even though the presence of these options doesn't do anything to their own play experience. All they gotta do is not use them. This is a constant factor in all things CM since the beginning time.

I need the "play on" option. I should be able to play any way I want. If it take me more than two hours to secure a heavily defended town, then that's the way I want it.

I don't care about any excuses about supply. I would like to play the game as if it were real, and many real battles take time. Hell, taking a town properly could take days! I've even heard of firefights lasting 12 hours or more!

Personally, I think the supply issue is a bad excuse. If we want to play until our ammo is gone, then why does BFC care? As far as the ai goes, they need to be able to resupply if the scenario designer says so. Besides, the player can quit at any time. It's not like he's bound to playing for 3 hours. If he can get it done in 20 minutes, then great, otherwise I hate the 2 hour limit.

Redwolf

For me this is a typical example of the long-observed pattern that some people want options removed from the game

Really? Who are these people? Here in this thread we are discussing if it is interesting to add a new option or not. No one is talking about removing anything.

Personally I don´t see the need for more time. But I do agree that more options are not a bad thing although this would have a very low priority for me.

I don´t see why the AI issue is seen as an excuse. Excuse for what? People are just giving opinions about the topic. No one from Battlefront has posted in this thread so far.

-

I agree with the pop up option, but even if it is finally added (which i honestly doubt) the scenario designer should have an option to keep timing as it is now. Perhaps some map designers want to make a battle that MUST be done within 30 mins to fit in a story, or simply to make the battle a bit harder.

Why won't BFC allow a no-time-limit option? Perhaps because battles/scenarios which would require more than two hours to complete are beyond the scope that CMSF was built for. *shrug* Sounds reasonable to me.

It sucks for the AI that it doesn't know how to do tactical resupply, but I'm glad my pixeltruppen are able to grab fresh mags and belts in the course of a longer-than-an-hour battle. :D

I believe you can go past the time limit. I played a scenario (damn if I can remember which one) and ran the clock out. I watched the timer count to zero expecting the game to end...

only for the time to change color to red and start counting up and the game continued.

I recall this also happening in another scenario - the timer turned red and starting counting up and the game continued.

I don't know if the victory conditions kick in or not after the clock runs out as in both scenarios, after a while, I opted for the cease fire method of ending the game.

I believe you can go past the time limit. I played a scenario (damn if I can remember which one) and ran the clock out. I watched the timer count to zero expecting the game to end...

only for the time to change color to red and start counting up and the game continued.

I recall this also happening in another scenario - the timer turned red and starting counting up and the game continued.

I don't know if the victory conditions kick in or not after the clock runs out as in both scenarios, after a while, I opted for the cease fire method of ending the game.

You can add a variable time up to a maximum (if I mind right) of 15 minutes - is that what happened here?