Any bones and/or progress reports on CM:Normandy?

(Not to be even more off-topic, but...)

Clichéd stereotypes about people from a certain country or region can typically be debunked just by taking the time to notice how said people actually are.

Japanese people are thought of as being unexpressive and humorless. Ever seen a film directed by Akira Kurosawa or starring either Toshiro Mifune or Takashi Shimura? My point exactly.

If it really were true that Germans have no sense of humor, why did Westdeutscher Rundfunk invite Monty Python to create two 45-minute specials (entitled Monty Pythons Fliegender Zirkus; the first was recorded in German, the second was in English with German dubbing)?

If Finns really are so soft-spoken and reserved, then why are rock singer-songsmith Ismo Alanko and über-folk band Värttinä (to name just two examples) so loud and vivacious? :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's going to be another CM game! Where is the information on this posted! I'm new and haven't bought a CM game yet, but I'm planning on buying one soon. If this is going to be released this year I'll probably wait for it be released before I start CM. I don't want CM:SF because I'm interested in WWII, not modern day combat. I've been playing Theatre of War for a little while, is it at all similar? I know it's in WEGO format.

Nice screenshot Tagge! Who said Finnish humor was utterly stupid and incomprehensible? Must have been a Swede :)

Steve

Sweden and Finland went to war, and a vicious, bloody war it was. Each side had dug their trenches close to the other so as to get at the enemy with greater ease, so deep was their animosity for each other. So close in fact that the Swedes, without leaving their trenches, could toss their hand grenades directly into the Finnish trenches. And the Finns in their turn would scoop up the grenades, pull the pins, and toss them back.

:D:D:D

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I'd just be happy with an AI that knows when it's winning and plays to win. I don't care about graphics hell I'll play with 8 bit stick men if the AI is good/great. I just can't help shake the feeling though what we are going to get is just CMBO in module form with pretty graphics. Please explain to me what the CMX2 engine really has over the CMX1 engine other than graphics and the ability to play real time? Kinda feels like Matrixgames buying up the Talonsoft and Old Close Combat series, making it XP compatible and sticking them back out there at full price again.

Better AI? Well this must be the hardest part for programmers. Personally I don't play anymore against the CPU, it gets a bit boring after a few games. I wish there was a way to make units hunt for you and not just stay motionless behind a building once they run out of orders. Since you can never have perfect AI, i think the next best solution is to play online. I'm having great fun playing people H2H. Its another world compeltely.

I just can't help shake the feeling though what we are going to get is just CMBO in module form with pretty graphics. Please explain to me what the CMX2 engine really has over the CMX1 engine other than graphics and the ability to play real time? Kinda feels like Matrixgames buying up the Talonsoft and Old Close Combat series, making it XP compatible and sticking them back out there at full price again.

Are you serious? Have you played CM:SF or at least tried the demo?

Please explain to me what the CMX2 engine really has over the CMX1 engine other than graphics and the ability to play real time?

That's an ANCIENT topic and I suspect you bring it up not through a genuine desire to find out what the differences are but rather to say that you think CMx2 doesn't have anything over CMx1 except the pretty graphics and the ability to play RT. :rolleyes:

If you really care to find out the answer, then download the FREE Demo and try it out for yourself (which you won't) and prepare to be embarrassed by the genuine ignorance you've just openly displayed in front of all of us... Or you can just stick with CMBO.

Pvt. Ryan,

Are you serious? Have you played CM:SF or at least tried the demo?

He is serious and there's not much point in trying to answer his question because he doesn't want it answered. As Paper Tiger has stated, the information is all out there. It's obvious to anybody with even an ounce of impartiality that the differences between CMx1 and CMx2 are huge and fundamentally not graphics related. Even if a person doesn't agree that CMx2 is better than CMx1, they can at least see that it is different.

Nope, Kelly's Heroes measures the game based on how many tanks it has. Everything else doesn't matter to him. So, it really doesn't matter if CMx2 is better than CMx1 or not, he's only focused on superficial unit counts. Not a good measure of game system, but each to his own.

Steve