The segmentation violation problem

Please out of intrest here tell me if you were one turn away from taking San Francisco after a long hard fought campagin just to lose, because of a segmentation violation popup, and that's it. If this or anything else has happened to you (any form of a segmentation violation) please post a simple yes to this thread so I can better understand how many people have suffered from this very unfortunate bug. I'm sure the people working on this project will eventually get around to working on this, but it's extremely annoying for the time being. Besides that great job with the game and release. Happy Holidays.

Are you playing A.I. or TCP/IP game?

If I play A.I. and live my computer on, walk away, comeback couple hours later, I get segmentation errors.

If I play TCP/IP games on low speed connections I get segmentation errors.

I blame my computer & connection speeds. Because I my kick ass computer, I never get the problem.

-Legend

Jon J rambo, I'm playing an AI game, but in all my years combined in playing SC games (besides PT) I can say I've suffered more segmentation violations in my one day of owning SC PT then all other SC games combined. I'm also being honest. I've been able to work around about 5/6 segmentation violations by either opening the autosave, or going back to my last saved turn, however I can't fix this segmentation violation by doing either of those. It's a real bummer :(, especially if Hubert wasn't here to resolve the problem :).

Scott, sorry to hear that you've been having problems and to be honest it is the first we've heard of this other than the one known AI purchases related issue which we already have a temporary fix for.

If you ever encounter an issue with the game such as a segmentation violation please don't hesitate to send me the 'autosave' so I can take a look and correct it for the first patch.

Thanks!

Hubert

The other segmentation violations I got hit with where either when the US sub went southward near French Polynesia and it was something related I believe to create surfaces. Another one had to do with my battery on my laptop running so low that it shut itself off, which then lead to some create surfaces segmentation violation, but the fix to that is just don't let your battery run low like I did, or if it happens load your last save when charging your battery, and you won't hear from that again. my fix to the submarine was just to have an abundence of destroyers ready to greet it when it made it's trip there again. Let's just say it never made it and vanised in the vast pacific ocean :).

That was only for the last one I said. The sub problem had absolutly nothing to do with my battery. Another fix to the sub one though would be to make French Polynesia neutral, and to take out all those small islands in the South Pacific, because then the sub won't go down there meaning that the problem won't occur.

Hi Scott,

For more feedback on your report you described a 'create surface' error with respect to the sub and this is actually a video display error similar to the ones you reported for the low battery, i.e. also reported as 'create surface' errors so I am guessing they are related somehow. I only mention this as typically you would receive another type of error message if it was more of a game error related to units or unit movement etc.

Either way if you encounter the error again please feel free to send me a saved turn and I will be happy to take a look to confirm.

Hubert

Georgebogdan,

Here is a quick hotfix for anyone with the same issue, it is the current Beta EXE for the first patch and is fully compatible with the release version. Once you download it you just need to run the installer and it should update the game for you. If it installs correctly it will display v1.01.01 Beta in the lower right hand side of the screen when in the MAIN MENU screen.

http://www.furysoftware.com/download/Strategic_Command_WWII_Pacific_Theater_v10101Beta_Patch.exe

Note, if you haven't encountered this issue there is no need to download this hotfix.

Hubert

Thanks for the patch! It's solved a segmentation violation problem that was crashing my campaign in the "animate_purchases" step. Much appreciated - now the AI can place the XV Indian corps outside Hyderabad without crashing the game. Although I doubt that corps will live through the next turn, since it appeared right next to one of my armies :D

Mr. Cater... my thanks!...You just save may day :)...thank you very much...the patch worked... i was able to finish my game...i never found in the gamer community such a quick answer and solution for my problems... I really think you are doing the most professional and complete job in the gaming industry.. thank you again..