CMBB/CMAK on widescreen monitors?

Lt Bull

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how CMBB/CMAK runs on widescreens? Does it keep the standard 4:3 ration so you have black screen on eitherside? Or can it properly accomodate the widescreen format?

Also I recall issues with CM fog and ATI graphics cards. Is still relevant for all ATI cards or just a select few of them?

Cheers

Bull

OK....so ultimately, the 4:3 aspect ratio of the CMAK/CMBB game screen remains the same on 16:10 monitors and the game view is not streched, giving you just the bars on the left/right side of the game screen?

CMx1 does do widescreen and non-4:3 resolutions.

The problem is that for whatever reason BFC put in a hard limit of 1600 horizontal and 1200 vertical, respectively.

So if you have a 1650x1050 monitor it can't use that resolution. Then it falls through to, if you are lucky 1280x1024. There is no auto-probing for non-4:3 resolutions.

So the best (or only thing to do) is that you first set your desktop resolution to something that fits your monitor *and* is within the limits (such as 1600x1024), nuke the prefs file and then start CM. It will hopefully pick up the desktop resolution.

Myself, I have a 1920x1200 monitor, so thankfully it picks up 1600x1200 in the fallthrough testing.

Thanks for the responses but I am confused by these two seemingly contradicting posts.

Yep, black bars, but it's not that bad when you are playing.

and

CMx1 does do widescreen and non-4:3 resolutions.

I understand AstroCat's comment, which implies the actual game window size on the screen stays 4:3 when viewed on a 16:10 monitor, resizing proportionally so that the game window fits vertuically, but resulting in the empty black bands to the left and right of the gaming window.

However, by Redwolf saying CMx1 does do widescreen/non- 4:3 resolutions implies that the CMx1 game window can fill an entire 16:10 monitor, without distortion.

Can I please have some clarification?

Mine works fine. No techie talk here, cuz I can't walk the walk. Mine cycled through a few resolution options but I found one that works fine. Fills most of the screen with the rest just showing black... kind of like the "letter box" setting for old movies. On the newer screen, CM's lower resolution starts to show its age, but that is only because newer games look so much better. Nothing stretched or unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

First off....I have just realised that all along I had been incorrectly thinking that my 19" monitor and it's native 1280x1024 resolution was a 4:3 ratio!!!! I can't believe I had been getting that wrong for so long. :eek: It is actually a 5:4 ratio!

Well I got my new gfx card and 22" 16:10 monitor (native resolution 1680x1050). Out of the box, loading up CMAK resulted in the game graphics being stretched across the screen at whichever resolutions I chose. It seems the only worthwhile resolutions that CM offer are 1400x1050 (4:3) or the 1280x1024 (5:4) that I had been using with my 19" monitor.

To achive a decent resolution and to avoid stretching/distortion of the game view, I have had to:

1. accept the 1400x1050 (4:3) CM resolution

2. change a setting on my monitor to prevent it from strecthing images.

3. ensure I tick the "use my monitors inbuilt scaling" option under "When using a resolution lower than my display's natove resolution" in NVIDIA Control Panel. If this was different, the images actually get blurry.

I now get a clear, undistorted 4:3 CMAK fitting on my screen (with the black bands left and right of course).

You can control whether you want black bars or scaling in the driver control preferences, you don't have to mess with the monitor controls.

My monitior is a Viewsonic VX2240w. There is a setting called "Manual Image Adjust". Inside it there is a setting for "Aspect Ratio". By defualt it is set to "Full Screen". Left like this, it will force any driver control preferences to fit the full screen regardless. Left like this it is impossible to have CM fit the screen without distortion (with the black side bands). I have to toggle this setting to "4:3".