z-Bee CMSF Mod Manager Released!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pinetree, I may need you in the coming weeks. Even more improvements are being made after this latest release. Here is the update:

*Activate mods from the mod record screen. (Should have been there all along.)

*z folder Audit button. Checks if the mod manager has the correct mods marked as Activated.

*Added a "What's Loaded?" button to find potential conflicts.

*Mod Sets: make a mod set without being tied to a scenario or campaign.

*Added color to mods screen denoting which side the mod is for (red or blue).

*Some other small bug fixes.

What I want to do:

*Automate the mod finding process to eliminate the steps of filling the boxes, etc.

*Import zipped mods straight into the mod manager.

*Mod Conflict checker.

*Other ways to organize the mods such as being able to pick USMC Uniforms, then picking what mod you want loaded, etc.

*Continue simplifying interface, enriching features, automating, and improving.

Well, 1.4 is just an improved 1.3. When I do release it, you'll have to import your mod records from 1.3 so you don't lose all the work you may have put into keeping the records. I do use the newest version as I work on it and it is amazing how just a few little things can make such a big difference.

But still, it's not like there's going to be a patch, it's just going to be a new version to replace the old one. ;)

OK no problems.

I was wanted to confirm that:

Even more improvements are being made after this latest release. Here is the update:

Meant "this is coming in ver 1.4, but not released yet" as opposed to vainly searching in an attempt to find a non existent ver 1.4. :)

That is "latest" above refers to 1.3.

I've begun trying to play with the mods and am struggling. I think this would make it 100% easier to do, so I downloaded and installed it. Now comes where I show my computer ignorance. I need to set up my "paths". I can find the Z folder easier enough, but what about the other 2 paths?

I'm sure I have other questions, but I can't get far enough along to figure out what they are, LOL.

Well "it all depends" :)

I keep all my mods in one directory so "my" answer to Question 1 is "C:\Games\CMSF Mods" (yours no doubt is different).

Question 2: "C:\Games\CMSF 1.21 FC4 UK - Moded\Data\z"

Question 3: "C:\Games"

Question 4 and 5 I've left blank because I use the campaigns and scenarios as installed in each given version of CM:SF that I'm running (I have about 5 copies installed).

But if you wanted to put all you scenarios in one place and all the campaign files in another then the path to those places would be the answers to Q4 and Q5.

Does that help?

To clarify,

gibsonm is right, except that the path to the Scenarios and Campaigns should be where your actual scenarios and campaigns are located. So if you are using the default install location, then:

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Game Files\Scenarios

and

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Game Files\Campaigns

You don't really need a separate scenarios and/or campaigns folder. Just use the one that game reads.

And, as I'm sure you've read, there is another version (much improved) coming out soon.

If you need more help, let me know.

I found the z file,

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Data\z

But I can't find a "mods" file anywhere.

The scenarios and campaigns were no problem. I knew right where they were. I appreciate the help. This makes me feel pretty old and I'm pretty sure my son could fix me right up but he won't be home from AIT till March.

But I can't find a "mods" file anywhere.

That's because you have to create it. :)

As I have lots of copies of CM:SF, CM:SF USMC and CM:SF UK installed (the joys of being a Beta tester), I created a new directory / folder to centrally store my mods (rather than having copies for every installation).

If you only have one copy of CM:SF then you can quite happily (I think) use your exisiting "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Data\z" directory as your first path statement.

Yeah, the mods folder is really just wherever you store all of your cmsf mods. I keep mine easy to access, so I can always unzip them there easily. From there, z-bee will read all the mods in that folder and let you make records of them. It also copies the mods from that folder to the z folder when "activating". Deactivating just deletes them from the z folder, but they remain in the mods folder.

I know it's a bit confusing at first, but all z-bee is doing is using the paths you set and the records of the mods to manipulate the files. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help. ;)

Think of it as an "auto loader" for your mods.

Without it you need to copy mods into the "z" folder to use them and then move them back out once you are finished with them.

This utility lets you store them all (say 50+) in one place, you tell the software that you want "X', "Y" and "Z" loaded (by clicking in the boxes next to them, or creating a set) and it does it all for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Piecekeeper,

I won't have access to the latest version of z-bee for a few weeks yet (computer is fried), but I will look into that. It may already be fixed. Until then the only thing I can suggest is that you type in the paths and make sure there are no apostrophes ' . You could even try browsing to fill the path boxes and then just closing the window and not hitting the save button. If you have the full version of Access 2007, you could fix it easily.

If it still won't work for you, just hang tight for a few more weeks and I'll hopefully be able to release 1.4.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...