Z Aar

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is it everyone.

The Allies kill all but one Japanese unit on Japan and take all of the infrastructures.

Japan surrenders after the end of the turn.

So the cold war is now on and we see battle lines drawn between the Soviets and USA.

We had amphibious troops on their way to liberate New Zealand.

A really well played game from Colin for someone who was just having his first go at it. Anyone with little HvH experience should try playing hi again with him as Japan, I am sure he would prove quite formidable!

Thanks for the great gamesmanship Colin I !

Now I am off to do some testing ;) .

Good AAR guys. Exposes what I think is a major fault in the game which is the early activation of the USSR. there is no way on earth that USSR would have gone to war in the pacific with Germany still figthing on. Nor is there any way that the USA would have let them eat up huge amounts of Asia.

From a game point of view it makes the japanese postion compleley unplayable against Human opposition. Has anyone "won" as Japanese verses a competent allied Human opponent?

Thanks to Blashy for a great game, learned a lot.

Will be looking for a new opponent PBEM, not a large number of turns per day but reliable.

If we are looking for what we can do to help the Japanese, without deviating too far from reality, then the Soviet activation as many have noted is one point. As I mentioned earlier, I think the speed of the Japanese advance through SE Asia may justify mobility 1 for a few units (its not mechanisation so bicycles used well count!).

I like the dynamism of the Carrier action and the Island warfare aspect works pretty good too.

Good game, Hubert! Will send turn with unusually high Japanese MPP soon.

Never got to A bombs, would like to see how they work.

Good points, thanks! :)

I have actually seen the USSR join much later, and sometimes not at all. It all depends on the circumstances and whether or not the Japanese abandon Manchukuo (which I understand happened here).

I have made a number of amendments to Soviet activation for the first patch which will hopefully resolve this, and also improve game balance too.

Good AAR guys. Exposes what I think is a major fault in the game which is the early activation of the USSR. there is no way on earth that USSR would have gone to war in the pacific with Germany still fighting on. Nor is there any way that the USA would have let them eat up huge amounts of Asia.

Minty, I was thinking about that second part myself (USA not letting USSR eat up huge amounts of Asia). I know many people believe that part of the motive behind the US dropping A Bombs on Japan was as a warning to the USSR. Once the USSR saw that we really had the A bomb (and not realizing we had used up all of our fissionable material) they started withdrawing from Asia.

This could possibly be reflected in the game. Maybe when the A-Bomb events start happening, the Soviets could disband all or most of their units in Asia.

Of course the problem with that would be that it is actually so late in the game that it might not have much affect on the outcome as the damage of all those soviet troops would already have been done. Also, the allied player could purposely NOT capture Tinian (sp?) in order to avoid the A-Bomb events and with them the disbanding of Soviet units.

Another possibility would be to put harsher limits on how many troops the Soviets could produce. This would still allow the prod points to be used by Chinese Communist Forces but at least those units would appear in China where Japan already has troops to deal with them instead of Russia where Japan is very vulnerable.

Lampcord,

Stalin knew about the A-bomb. The Allies actually revealed it to him and were shocked how little he reacted.

Right, but isn't it true that they started withdrawing from Asia immediately after we dropped them? Maybe he either didn't believe us (Stalin always thought everyone was lying to him) or didn't fully grasp the magnitude of its destructive power. Or maybe he knew, but his generals didn't and they advised him to back off after seeing it in action.

Either way, I've heard many historians claim that part of the justification of dropping the bombs on Japan was as a warning to the USSR.

Right, but isn't it true that they started withdrawing from Asia immediately after we dropped them? Maybe he either didn't believe us (Stalin always thought everyone was lying to him) or didn't fully grasp the magnitude of its destructive power. Or maybe he knew, but his generals didn't and they advised him to back off after seeing it in action.

Either way, I've heard many historians claim that part of the justification of dropping the bombs on Japan was as a warning to the USSR.

There were certainly many factors involved, but the cold fact is that the US had a new awesome weapon, a perfectly justified reason to get revenge and an oppurtunity to try it "for real".