Z Aar

Allies played by Blashy vs Colin (Japan)

FIRST THREE TURNS

I must be mad - too much caffeine and Bushido - no, I do not mean taking on the might of the USA with scant resources, I mean taking on the might (and knowledge) of Blashy......

Pearl Harbour takes a pounding for a while - first strike only destroys 3 battleships but I lurk around the place, attack some minor vessels and destroy the airfleet. Those carriers are awesome.

Meanwhile Singapore and Burma are down fast - in Rangoon via Thailand by turn 3 thanks to some concentrated efforts, good air support and good luck. The attack on Manilla is still in progress and there are sundry naval skirmishes. China is slow AND the communists are weighing in

So far I'm very pleased by Burma, the British and Chinese are on the back foot there, slightly worried by China and in awe of the forces that are soon to be deployed against me. Blashy appears to be withdrawing assets for use later - particularly airfleets.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahah, so we have an AAR do we. I will do my best to add info as well.

So I am going for an innovative strategy in this game. It might take a while to play out and just blow up in my face but we shall see!

Colin got a really good run in Burma and took it easily in no time flat and will probably knock out the STR 5 HQ that popped up in that area. Plus he has not had any typical Burma weather (RAIN), something I look forward too.

China is able to dig in and brings in more assets. While Japan comes to close to the Communist China border which brings them into the fight (1 HQ and 2 Armies).

The US is basically non existent on the map, simply preparing for the master plan!

The UK & Minors forces have a weak navy but they still engage Japan causing some damage but at a loss of some naval assets... all part of the sinister plan!

May 1942 and finally some rain in Burma. UK is hoping for the typical 6+ months of rain to keep enemy planes out of the fight. Fear of the navy is what is next, those carriers can get out of the rain and wreck havoc in India.

Meanwhile the line holds in China but we take more damage than we can give back.

USA is VERY quite...

AAR

The Divine emperor decided that the Monsoons would hit late. In the early game sustained clear weather combined with a weak Chinese showing in the region means that Japanese infantry are on the Indian border by about turn 5. The invaders capture a couple of minor Indian cities and striking fear into the heart of the former Raj with long-range air raids. Most importantly, aid to China is reduced.

In China itself it is another matter – warlords of all political stripes are queuing up to defeat the invader and as no troops were sent to Burma there are massive forces in the homeland. However, the Japanese troops fight better and have assembled massive air support. It is going to be quite a struggle. I really miss the mobility of Western armies, it is hard to position all your forces to attack here – absolutely not a blitzkrieg.

In the islands the Japanese continue to play dominos, knocking over the Philipines and Dutch East Indies. Where next?

The Emperor is now praying for fewer Chinese (working on it…..) and a failure in US carrier production (unlikely……).

For now the weather gets worse.

June 42, China replies by bringing a tank unit to 3 and another unit to 1 but never enough to take one down... but I think we are succeeding in making it a time consuming experience :o . Still, good weather like that and the air power will devastate China!

In India UK goes on the offensive right at the Burma border just doing 1 damage to the unit there but I am sure it is feeling pretty lonely with a 1 tank and 1 armies coming towards them... rain keeps my air power from engaging, typical in Burma.

USA... well now I can't say anything about those guys and their innovative tactic (I hope).

Chinese counter-attack may have been a mistake. The Japanese respond with massive air power and a ground offensive. Despite mud Kweilin falls, 3 Chinese armies and 1 artillery support die and some elements, particularly in the South, are looking a little exposed.

Burma - yes, signs the British are getting dangerous.

Meanwhile Japanese main battle fleets and US remain quiet.

MPP limitation for Japanese is extreme and forces choices - there are several operations that are limited by this consideration. For the Japanese its a case of making key purchases and improvements - not the wholesale shopping expedition that Germany has when gearing up for Russia. I made some key technology investments early and with the assaults on Burma and Islands I could not afford a few other ideas. but don't worry - they are coming ;-)

July 42, China looses units but I know Japan has allot of damaged units and this forces Japan to reinforce and keep pushing in China which limits other operations.

Still, China is slowly being chewed up by Japan's air power. At this rate of good weather China will go down fast.

Communist China gets another army.

In Burma that one unit goes down to STR 5, this push is done with no air assistance... a few more months of rain and another kind of rain will fall on Burma... KABOOM! ;) .

Actually China is one reason I'm not sure Japan can win - its such a huge drain on limited MPP and unlike Russia in SC2 you do not get a period to prepare.

But enough theory. Blashy mentioned Kaboom from the sky so we tried to deliver. He used his airforce last turn and seeing it took losses I hit it hard from the air. The range on Japanese aircraft is brilliant. Lets just say China's aircraft are grounded ;-) Until rebuilt ;-)

Meanwhile Burma is shaping up for a fight.

Other stuff? I couldn't possibly mention given US intelligence is so good......

July 1942

So UK retakes 2 of the 3 cities taken in East India, finally the Allies get their first kill of a Japanese unit.

Japan pushes hard with a tank unit in the north of China but I manage to cut it off... now if rain can stay I can keep it in trouble for a while, another unit gets partially cut off but not out of supply.

The kaboom is going to come from the Allies :D .

Colin is doing good his first go, so far he has made one constant error that shall remain nameless until the end of the game =) .

August 1942, not much. UK is holding strong in India and is coming in with more firepower to try and push Japan totally out of India, they still hold 1 city.

China is slowly dying but putting up a decent fight, luckily there is rain.

USA... muwahahahaha! :) .

China IMHO is getting hammered at the rate of 2 to 3 major units per turn, plus the stranded Japanese armour is back in the main army.

Pesky Chinese partisans strike though.

Meanwhile in Burma we pull back into the jungle - lets see how well his armour does there.

USA? Lets see.......

Yep, China is dying but a very slow death, hopefully making Japan feel pressed for time.

Japan does not secure a couple of key cities and guess what... TWO partisan units pop up, one on each city. Goes to show that Colin has not studied the scripts so my hat off to him for playing this "blind" and discovering these little issues as the game progress. That is how I did it, so far I have not looked at the scripts once.

In Burma we move forward but the jungle was going to be a pain but we have a surprise on the way... next turn Colin will see it.

USA... "be very very quiet" .

September... China is in trouble with all that air power against it.

One partisan is destroyed but if forced 4 units to move back and Peking is still liberated with a full strength partisan and producing 9mpps.

A UK sub moves close to the Burma convoy lanes but the IJN is defending it and will surely destroy it next turn now that it was intercepted by a destroyer.

More troops arrive in India... secret technology was not put into play this turn.

USA... fall should be a time of US presence, somewhere =) .

Peking still holds as one army shows up, 10mpps a turn now.

Time for UK to get busy with that new tech, we try and sink a Jap sub but he dives on the final attack, I expect my destroyers to be DESTROYED next turn by a waiting IJN... I expect that, I was just hoping for at least one sub sunk!

More troops arrive in India.

Strong turn for the Japanese - IJN sink 3 destroyers and damage the US sub (it had a charmed life, kept diving).

Meanwhile our airforce kills a Chinese HQ and we destroy an army. They may have skilled partisans but soon that it all they will have ;-)