Jutland from Strorm Eagle Stuidios

thewood

Is there a good book out there about the Jutland battle?

Best regards,

Thomm

I recently finished reading a great book called Jutland 1916: Death in the Grey Wastes. It has detailed info on the fight as well as lots of first-person observations and reports (though mostly from the British side). Fascinating and horrifying stuff. I can recommend that book for sure.

Re the game, it's a pity that the DRM and the support shenanigans detract attention from the game itself - it's very satisfying to play.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently finished reading a great book called Jutland 1916: Death in the Grey Wastes. It has detailed info on the fight as well as lots of first-person observations and reports (though mostly from the British side). Fascinating and horrifying stuff. I can recommend that book for sure.

Thanks, Brian! I think I shall go for it!

Do you have the impression that the original Jutland battle is represented well in the game (if there is a scenario about it in there)? I understand that there were dozens of ships involved on both sides. Does Jutland manage these?

Best regards,

Thomm

Do you have the impression that the original Jutland battle is represented well in the game (if there is a scenario about it in there)? I understand that there were dozens of ships involved on both sides. Does Jutland manage these?

Best regards,

Thomm

The game does a very good job of representing the battle. With MP, you could easily duplicate it. The main issue still is the managing large fleets. You can place 100's of ships on each side, but with no event management, you couldn't control them all. I would say controlling more than three or four divisions would be a hard task.

While I don't like DRM, Jutland is a good game, I think the campaign needs some improvements and reporting but, the DRM hasn't caused me any problems. I find it funny that there aren't any "I won't but Empire Total War because of the DRM" threads, which is just as bad, requiring Steam to do anything (install, activate, upgrade, play(phone home)) even if you buy the boxed copy!

While I don't like DRM, Jutland is a good game, I think the campaign needs some improvements and reporting but, the DRM hasn't caused me any problems. I find it funny that there aren't any "I won't but Empire Total War because of the DRM" threads, which is just as bad, requiring Steam to do anything (install, activate, upgrade, play(phone home)) even if you buy the boxed copy!

Buyers of realistic wargames just aren't as dummy as the average game buyer.

Also, many buyers of realistic wargames know that they'll might want to fire up the game in 10 years(*) just to see what it was like.

(*) of course then there's CMx1, which is actually being played for 10 straight years.

I didn't know Steam required a phone home I bought Counterstrike and never had an issue offline.

True for older games but, Steam seems to be changing with newer games like Empire TW. Still people seem to like Steam, because they can download, install and play on any PC. As game downloads get bigger and bigger I wonder how long this feature will be available, make no mistake Steam is one of the DRM schemes.

Saw another guy had a HW upgrade issue and is locked out of his game for seven days. No one seems to care at SES once they have your money.

No, he didn't lock himself out for 7 days.

Only the newer Jutland game gives him the game back automatically after 7 days.

He had the older Russia-Japan game which locks you out indefinitely on minor hardware changes unless somebody at SES flips a switch.

BTW, the exactly amount of changes you can make to your hardware without triggering this is not documented.

He had both games. I just updated my video drivers and got locked. btw, updated based on SES recommendation.

The DG game DRM is a lot more forgiving than Jutland's. I have never been locked out of activation on it. I did notice bullethead recommended someone buy DG soon because they are upgrading the DRM to Jutland standards. Pretty sad when you have warn your customers about the issues you are going to have.

Best regards,

Thomm

Hey Thomm - I'm sure you'll enjoy the book. The Jutland battle's so big (and had quite defined stages) that the game simulates different time periods during the overall battle with several scenarios. I've never been brave enough to play the Jutland scenarios because I find it difficult to manage large fleets yet (and I find myself enjoying the light force fights more - light cruisers and destroyers).

There's a couple of nice larger third-party scenarios that I've enjoyed, including one called Broad Fourteens and I often think about different strategies for dealing with the scenarios I have played before, so there's plenty to keep me going.

• 3 weeks later...

Castles of Steel is a great book. Very readable, and entertaining. I've been thinking of getting the book Dreadnought also by Massie. It's apparently a "prequel" to Castles.

Brian Smith wrote:

There's a couple of nice larger third-party scenarios that I've enjoyed, including one called Broad Fourteens

Where did you find this one? Sounds interesting.

What a coincidence! While I am on the last pages of "Jutland", they show a documentation about the wreck of the Bismarck! The just dove inside the hole caused by the torpedo hit above the rudder!! She is so beautiful even on the bottom of the sea!

Now it's the conning tower!! In with the robot ... incredible!

Best regards,

Thomm

Leaving aside their claim that the server wasn't down which seems to be an oversimplification...

I also note that their claims that the game will continue to run of the server can't be reached isn't true. Some people had the game permanently deactivated (until 7 days timeout or service action) by the "server blib". And the 7 days thing is only for the newer game, the old Distant Guns will be deactivated forever unless you reach support.

I don't think that a single one of the promises they made about how robust the DRM is in case of trouble turned out true so far.