Jutland from Strorm Eagle Stuidios

thewood

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short, knee jerk answer is probably not, but enough people have had issues with it to make tell you to wait and see. They have been kind of secretly patching the DRM system inside automatic updates, but its pretty obvious the DRM was beta when it was released.

I haven't had an issue since the first week of release, but a week doesn't go by without someone having an issue either installing or running the game because of DRM issues.

Well, I started the download of the demo.

Great. I need an activation code for the demo:

7. When the main menu screen appears, a DEMO activation box will appear. You must enter your name and a valid email address to receive the DEMO Activation Code. If you do not enter your email

Pity, that they did not complete the sentence :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Thomm

An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install.

???

Gonna switch of the firewall now and retry. I already love it!

Best regards,

Thomm

I am still interested in the following aspects:

*) how does their damage model work? Do you get any detailed information similar to CMx1 hit text?

*) is there fog-of-war with respect to the damage on enemy ships?

*) can you make post-battle assessment of the damage on ships?

*) is there some kind of display that shows flooded sections, damaged parts, etc.?

Reality related:

*) How did these ships know when to fire their guns in rough see, with the hull banking? Was there some kind of automatic mechanism?

Best regards,

Thomm

Here is a review from SimHQ:

http://www.simhq.com/_naval/naval_033a.html

Note the reviewer not being able to play for a week after upgrading his computer.

Answering Thomm's comments:

- Damage is incredibly detailed, as well as damage control. Different type of flooding, counterflooding, all kinds of equipment damage modelled. I would call it much more detailed than CM1.

- FOW exists for enemy ships. All you know is if its light, heavy, or sinking

- One of most glaring weaknesses of the game is almost no post-battle information. In fact there is very little information on what your fleets are doing overall during the battle. You can get detailed information if you go to each individual ship, but there is no event-type monitoring except a few lines in a log that come up and disappear quickly. With large fleets, some kind of dynamic event management and monitoring system is needed, but they seem very resistant to it for some reason.

- As part of the ship status screen for your side, you get a pretty detailed display of what is damaged and overall flooding.

- IIRC, it semi-automatic. A gunnery officer was watching pitch and roll and had a central trigger system to fire the main guns. That was if they had central fire control. Only the big ships had it, if at all. Someone with more knowledge than I can fill you in.

They definitely are one of those companies that feel you should be priviledged to be doing business with them. That poor attitude bleeds through in almost every post.

thewood,

Many thanks! You provided a lot of info!

I understand that battle damage info is available (a) graphically, (B) by means of a text status screen.

Is there some kind of schematic that shows internal damage, flooded sections by graphical means?

Another review with some great screens:

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/Jutland/jutland.php

This simulation appears to be very well done. Also the history of these big ships clashing, about which I know very little, appears to be very interesting.

Is there a good book out there about the Jutland battle?

Best regards,

Thomm

I wont be buying this even though it does look awfully good. That DRM is just like being harassed by the government. I mean a demo is supposed to make its case to buy the game, not turn you off to it.

And wow I still cant believe these guys go after anyone with even a marginal gripe, and they dont even have their own forum, whats up with that?

The graphical representation of damage is shown. It doesn't show flooding, but shows equipment damaged and it is very detailed. Ships do show listing and things like that as flooding exceeds pumping capacity. Damage control is automatic, but you can influence it by slowing and ceasing fire. If you tell me how to put a screenshot up I will.

One thing to keep in mind is that you are the admiral. You can look at a lot of detailed stuff, buts the crews and officers that do it all. There was a lot of debating on how much control you shold have over damage control. I keep seeing people talking about GNB and comparing Jutland to that. Those people are looking through some serious rose colored glasses. GNB had a ton of issues.