Demo question

Being totally new to this game I cracked open the demo last night and was completely lost. Is there a tutorial for this game? Note to BF, when you make a demo, if you include a tutorial you are more likely to sell copies of the game. I think many people open up that first campaign and are overwhelmed and without any sort of a tutorial that takes you through the functions it can be daunting. I am no stranger to war games, I just felt very turned off by the lack of an idea of what to do. I know I can find the manual online, but to pour through a manual to get a taste of game is hard for me. A little guided tour always helps.

I can't speak for BF or Fury Software as to why they, in particular, decided not to do a tutorial but I can speak from experience. As a small developer, creating a tutorial takes time and money that usually is short to go around with from the start. Since it's an important part of the overall game, and not just a small scenario people may never play, they'd probably have to program new features in, create separate maps and test/debug it along with everything else.

And would it really be worth it? Yes, a scenario like Operation Z can be daunting to a new player but I think most people here would say that learning the basic mechanics doesn't take too long (point-click to move, point-click to attack). Learning all of the small details like terrain effect on supply can be learned from the manual, or simply from watching a units supply drop the farther they are from a city or HQ.

Tutorials can be very helpful, I agree, but in this case I'd suggest just playing the game a bit more and while you're drinking a cup'o Joe in the morning catching up on the news, flip through the manual a bit instead and get a better idea of what you're seeing in the game. :)

Hi

Page 58 onwards of the manual has a Beginner's Tutorial which you'll hopefully find useful. It explains how to move units, attack, upgrade units, etc, all in the context of the first few turns of Operation Z.

Feel free to play around a bit too, to see what happens where, and if you have any further questions please ask here.

Interesting point about having a guided tour with the demo... it's something to consider.