Trick or Treat

MeatEtr

I hate to say this to a guy who has the same initials as I, but, man, you're pathetic. You should never allow yourself to be photographed. Especially wearing any form-fitting costume. Maybe next year you should go as the Michelin Man. Or maybe the Goodyear blimp.

Michael

I like it. I think it's wonderfully tacky. Shows you don't take yourself too seriously and the camel toe.. ehh.. well you have to have good confidence to wear a suit like that. Kudos.

I participate in a friend's haunted garage. Pics can be seen here. I'm the one in the werewolf mask, guarding the candy. If you click the walkthrough link at the bottom of the page, it gives you an idea of the whole setup. It's a huge job to set everything up, but gets a lot of praise from those who see it.

Every year gets more elaborate. Mark programs the sounds, voices and lights, all syncronized to the movements. Each scene is triggered by sensors as the people walk through. I do the mechanical bits. The various monsters talk, groan and move. The one in front of the fireplace scene even breathes, which really creeps people out. You can see a video of the first animatronic we made at this link. Several of the individual monsters are controlled by small key fob remotes, so we can turn off the scarier stuff for small kids.

Last year was his best ever, with over 140 people going through (we use the candy as a count). He got a front page write-up in the local town newspaper. This year we had less than 100.

I participate in a friend's haunted garage. Pics can be seen here. I'm the one in the werewolf mask, guarding the candy. If you click the walkthrough link at the bottom of the page, it gives you an idea of the whole setup. It's a huge job to set everything up, but gets a lot of praise from those who see it.

It looks great. Seems like you have a lot of fun. My 6 year old would probably be too frightened to enter though!

Halloween here in Sydney is a pretty hit or miss affair. It has grown from being non-existent when I was a kid to being semi-recognised now. My kids went trick or treating with a few friends but you got about a 50/50 strike rate. Many places didn’t have anything for the kids or didn’t even know it was Halloween. We have a lot of Chinese immigrants where I live and it means nothing to them.

I maybe had a dozen kids come to my door. I sent a couple of them away though because their effort was so pathetic. But your garage would certainly be a big drawcard as it would be unique over here.

Christmas displays are getting more popular though. There is a street near us where residents go the whole hog, with thousands of co-ordinated lights, short range FM broadcasts etc. It’s chiefly to raise funds for the local volunteer fire brigade.

We have a lot of Chinese immigrants where I live and it means nothing to them.

I think this is how the tradition of egging houses on Halloween night got started.

I maybe had a dozen kids come to my door. I sent a couple of them away though because their effort was so pathetic.

I figure if they make the effort to get to my front door, it's worth some candy. Afterall, it's not as if I go all out with my own decorations at Halloween - one fake pumpkin on display doesn't exactly scream with enthusiasm. I'm hardly one to rag on the efforts of anyone else.

*tosses mini chocolate bars to everyone in this thread*

Good to see the Halloween spirit alive and kicking.

Nice deviled egg costume SgtM.

And hoolaman, that pumpkin is genuinely creepy, good job on it.

That haunted garage looks great, thanks for posting it. Looks like you and your buddies take an extra step than most. I usually only put out a few decorations. Nice animatronic video too. But don't turn off the scarier stuff for the small kids, it's always fun watching the little rascals piss the pants. :D (joking of course)

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Lots of fun and not nearly the pressure and BS that go with Christmas.

In my neighborhood we seem to be getting fewer and fewer kids. We have only been in our house for 3 years so I wonder if our section has a bad reputation or something. I can hear kids around our area but they seem to turn down other streets.

Next year I am going to try to do the big garage thing to see if I can draw the kids back.

In my neighborhood we seem to be getting fewer and fewer kids. We have only been in our house for 3 years so I wonder if our section has a bad reputation or something. I can hear kids around our area but they seem to turn down other streets.

Do you suppose the cauldrons of boiling tar might have had something to do with that?

Michael