Fallout 3

M1A1TC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I don't really like about this game is the lack of opportunities for free play GTA style.

If I don't want to go on a quest and just want to go around blowing raiders heads off it's not something that you can easily do.

Once you kill a group of raiders they don't seem to respawn, well not as far as I can see anyway. This just leads to empty wasteland which while realistic for a post-holocaust landscape is a little dull.

Otherwise loving it.

The creatures respawn, but not the items. I go back every few days to pickup a quick 50 XP for killing one certain Super Mutant at his tent.

Since I am such a Goody-Two-Shoes, someone has put a 1,000 Cap bounty on me. Sometimes when exiting the Metro, there are 2 or 3 Mercs looking to take me out. Good XP points for them as well.

30+ hours in with no issues on my PC version - not one crash.

Playing in first person mode does have it's disadvantages. Sold mu Combat armour by mistake without realising it. Fighting through a Raider base I kept thinking these guys are tough - switched into third person view to find I was fighting them in my underwear!

Fighting through a Raider base I kept thinking these guys are tough - switched into third person view to find I was fighting them in my underwear!

Common superhero trick.

I was less than impressed with the game. Probably because of similarities to Oblivion, like dumbed down quests (partly due to the magical HUD, partly because of explaining at every turn what to do next - no, you should be feeling left alone and figure it all yourself! "Find the waterchip" is the only clue you should need) and weak acting and dialogue. And both sneaking and fighting in Oblivion suck unstable isotopes. But lockpicking subgames are the worst and stupidest thing ever. I mean, what's the point with that? Why can't the game just do a fricking skill check???

I also don't quite get it why all information had to be scattered on 49 different PIP Boy screens where there used to be one inventory screen, one stats screen and one notes screen. Did the interface engineer get paid by hour?

The good thing is I still enjoy Fallout. I already recompleted FO 1 and next will install FO 2.

Aside from BSOD'ing if I use VATS at all, I was enjoying the game, about as much as I did Oblivion. Fallout's setting just isn't drawing me in the way STALKER's setting did. This is partly just down to the design decisions Bethesda has made with the compass and such. I found STALKER isolating and dangerous, with the proper mod, and in the proper areas; STALKER honestly had me seeking shelter at night, or in the event of storms. I was cautious, and near paranoid. I loved it. Yantar is still one of my favourite areas for this reason.

Fallout has a tremendous amount of potential, and while the vanilla game isn't exactly enthralling me, I will keep an eye on it to see what sorts of mods are released. With a bit of work, I'm certain much of what drew me in with STALKER could be replicated within Fallout.

'Till then, there's Left 4 Dead. :)

Just started using the VATS system, much better than trying to get sneaky lil buggers who constantly slip out of view. Plus the added enjoyment of watching some raider's dome explode....quite nice.

Be careful using the bat in mixed company. I was going to town on Burke and accidently popped someone which set the rest of the bar on me. Karma dropped a bit there, let me tell you. Probably didn't help that I raided the armory after that.....

I've gotten a few PMs asking about the STALKER mod that I was using so here's a link to the mod's forum: STALKER Redux. Be warned that everything is extremely lethal in this mod, even a pack of dogs will see you dead right quick, caution is highly recommended. I have no experience with their ClearSky version, only their vanilla STALKER mod. Playing on higher difficulties is recommended, be prepared to die a lot. Enjoy.

So far the game seems pretty fun, watched a friend play from the start for a couple hours, and I would highly recommed Redux for STALKER. There are some good mods out there, even one or two that try to give a new story, but I don't think anything managed to compare to the visceral experience that is my not-great-skills and Redux created. It was about as close to living in the zone that I figure a mod can create.

Well, I have the PS3 version and though so far it is an engrossing game the combat model is a bit weak. It took me 6 shots to head (??!!) with my 10mm pistol and a 3-5 shots to the torso to bring down that guy in Moriarty's bar that asked me to detonate the bomb in the middle of the town of Megaton!! And I highly doubt there will ever be any mods for release to make the F3 combat on the PS3 more realistic!

Blackhorse & Adam: Check here. I guess Victim, the developer, or the last remaining one anyhow, got all pissy and had a botchfit about people criticizing the mod so he stopped development, but there is .97b for CS. I haven't personally tried it yet, I gave the Vanilla CS go first and this comp is too sucky to have a nice experience, I'm holding off on a replay till I get my better comp, so I can't vouch for the experience like I can for Shadow of Chernobyl.

I picked it up last week. Not a big RPG fan, never played the previous versions or Oblivion, but this is addictive. It has more of a hybrid FPS\RPG feel.

The PC version is rock solid on my system, beautiful to look at. I love the wide open map, the wide array of choices and the VATS. An instant classic...

...what I can't figure out though is where does the power come from to run the computer terminals and power doors in the metro system...200 years after a nuclear war...:)