Fallout 3

M1A1TC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a BLAST with this game. As everyone has said it has very much the same mechanics as Oblivion. The desolate landscape is incredible. Combat is more fun and the payout of the Critical, slow-mo hits are great! I just wish I had screenshot capability on the XBOX.

Anyone else think Moira Brown's accent is just like Sarah Palin?

Level 6 Do Gooder at the moment. I plan to play thru again as a bad guy and see how things change.

OK, you guys sold me on Fallout3! I'm buying it this week! My only concern is I've heard a few problems about combat being a bit wonky. Unfortunately, I have to buy Fallout3 for the PS3 since my comp is so old and there will never be any combat mods for this version. Oh well, I'm sure it is still a great game!

:)

keep posting user comments!

OK, you guys sold me on Fallout3! I'm buying it this week! My only concern is I've heard a few problems about combat being a bit wonky. Unfortunately, I have to buy Fallout3 for the PS3 since my comp is so old and there will never be any combat mods for this version. Oh well, I'm sure it is still a great game!

:)

keep posting user comments!

I am playing as a general wasteland explorer, who is proficient with guns. I don't sneak, or use melee, lasers or heavy weapons. This has been my expierence with combat so far

On the plus side it it way better than the previous incarnations of FO. No more waiting for 15 various rats and pigrats to take their turn, so you can take your 1 turn, and watch Vic and Sulik shoot each other. Plus you always knew where all the opponents were, which is not the case in FO3.

VATS gets better as your get more perks that specialize in it. At earlier levels I used it mainly for close quarters, since my chance to hit anything long to medium range using it sucked. Now that I have better skills, and more perks for VATS, I use a combination of VATS and realtime. In realtime, playing as a FPS, FO3 is not that good. In fact is is pretty bad. The humans and animals move around alot, and some can take quite a few shots to put down. The guns are not terrible accurate either, so its hard (for me anyway) to kill things at long ranges. Plus the long range weapons have very small clip sizes. This tends to lead to long fights any time I am facing well armed opponents. You can go through suprising large amounts of ammunition and stimpacks quite rapidly. I am constantly being forced to fall back from advancing raiders/supermutants to reload, and always to have to keep my on eye on my surroundings, and my ammuntion levels. Or could be that I just suck. Ironically the robots are far easier to kill than the raiders or supermutants because they move so slowly and lasers don't do that much damage.

One thing that is really annoying is exploding cars. This isn't that much a problem in the wastelands, but in the city there a tons of them, and they explode constantly. It really sucks when a stack of them go off next to you.

The AI is a mixed bag. Sometimes they do really stupid things, other times they will try and flank you. There have been plenty of times that I have been so focused on that raider with the rocket launcher, that I never see the one with the combat shotty flank me. For the most part the armed opponets will advance slowly, while the melee characters will rush you immeadiately (and sometimes throw a grenade if they have one).

Keep in mind, that combat is heavily dependants on your location. In the countryside there is plenty of space to move around in, its easier to spot the opponents because there is less backgroud clutter, and more melee orientated opponents so VATS is more beneficial. In DC proper, there are armed opponents everywhere, so combat occurs at medium to long ranges, and you always have to be sure you not standing next to a car that could blow up at any second. Downtown DC is one gun fight after the next, and its hard to avoid combat.

RSColonel_131st: It's just like Oblivion.

Game is neat, i can't tell is it great or just good. Now it rocks good, but how about +100 hours of playing. That remains to be seen.

And it indeed earns it's 18+ age rating, this game is most foul, violent and perv*rt i've ever played. I didnt' believe Bethesda would have guts to do that. Glad i were wrong.

My character - with and without hockey mask :)

Image6_Small.JPG

Image8_small.JPG

P4 3ghz, 1 gig and 7900gt AGP with 512megs - video card is o/c to just under 7900GTX levels. Old system..... I put it together a year before HL2 came out

runs ok at medium setting, 1280x960, but I tweaked things and turned shadows off (doesn't make a lot of difference unlike other games) and actor distance to max, and it averages about 28 fps with 8xAnsio, no AA, and with HDR. in the busier outdoor areas. And can shoot up to 40-65 in other areas. No HDR+AA together with my gen of video card like Obvilion.

Actually runs similar to Oblivion, maybe a little better optimised

More ram is better though to get rid of the judders when it's caching

It didn't set me on fire at first, but it's growing on me like a tumour

A bit too grey for my tastes visually

I played through the start section once, saved that away and did few test runs through with different character builds, to get a feel for things and get rid of the noob errors, some with god mode on... press ~ and type "tgm" on a PC

now I'm doing it properly and slowly savouring each location properly.

Man it really feels like I am Legend movie :)

loving the sawn off shotty and hunters rifle

what I like is seeing, is trader caravan and other NPC traveling on their own in the land. I sometimes follow them as they move about slowly, and pick up the loot from the creatures/attackers they encounter and kill

or when I get attacked run away and lead the attackers into some of these other NPC and watch the fight :)

although it's not a common occurance as you'd expect

This is also a game that will be heavily modded. Expect great things in the coming months.

Especially if Bethesda ever decides to release a Construction Set!

I am playing it now and just finished the Main Quest. The story isn't too bad, and overall, I enjoy it a lot. I am a huge Fallout fan, and have played all 5 games released prior to this and was not disappointed at all.