A plea to Battlefront

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, given CMx1's limited graphics demands by modern standards, it's probably easier and cheaper just to pick up an older ATI card from the closeout shop. You can even get one for a PCI slot so you don't have to pull your hotstuff DX10 card.

Any NVidia card < 8000 is actually the better option with Vista and CMx1.

But alas, all these multi-videocard solutions are usually suggested by people who never tried running the NVidia and ATI drivers on the same machine, or try to have one old and one new NVidia architecture in the same machine. In general, this is a no-go.

No offense of course :)

Really the best way to run the CMx1 games is to just set up a small XP partition and run them over there. It's not that tough and works like a champ.

I use my 9800gx2 w/latest drivers in an XP Pro sp3 partition with only minor issues and really good performance. Sure, a reboot to play is a little bit of a pain in the butt but until something comes along to unseat CMx1, it is still the best option out there and I think worth the hassle. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a geforce gtx 260 about a week ago, and decided about two hours ago to pop CMAK in just to see what would happen. Turns out it works, I just got done playing a scenario. I am running vista ultimate, and it does take the machine quite a while to read the CD to install...but once I got in game is was just like old times. I didn't expect this since my 8800gts wouldn't play the game. So if you're using one of the newer cards, you might want to install CMAK and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed and played a game in CMAK and it ran without error.

Processor: IntelĀ® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (2674 MHz)

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

DirectX version: 10.0 and DX9

GPU processor: GeForce GTX 280

Driver version: 181.20

Stream processors: 240

Core clock: 615 MHz

Shader clock: 1350 MHz

Memory clock: 1107 MHz (2214 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 512-bit

Total available graphics memory: 2816 MB

Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 1792 MB

• 6 months later...